Official Extra Life Community Jump to content

Hub Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Final Fantasy VII Remake has been a long time coming–and that’s only talking about the 6 years since it was officially announced. Like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III before it, the game has acquired a near mythical status where it needs to be played to be believed. Thankfully, Square Enix gave fans the chance to do just that with a playable demo at its E3 booth. After getting my hands on it, I'm more eager than ever to take down Shinra one more time. The demo offers a slice of the game’s opening mission shown during Square's E3 briefing. Cloud and Barrett fight their way through the bowels of Shinra’s headquarters at the behest of eco-terrorist group AVALANCHE. First and foremost, I’m floored by how stunning everything looks. Cloud and Barrett have never looked better, and their in-game models trump their Advent Children renditions. Fluid animations, gorgeous effects, plus neat little touches, such as the myriad of scratches on Cloud’s Buster Sword, make Final Fantasy VII Remake a serious piece of eye-candy. Combat blends fast-paced action with traditional turn-based mechanics. Basic melee attacks are performed by mashing the square button. Despite looking and feeling good, these attacks don't do a ton of damage. Instead of chipping away at an enemy’s health, the melee’s primary focus is to whittle away at foes until they become staggered, which leaves them vulnerable for more powerful attacks. Such big-time moves include spells and, of course, Limit Breaks. Hitting X pauses combat to allow players to select commands in classic JRPG style. Executing these actions costs a portion of the classic Active Time Battle gauge. This meter continually refills itself, so having a solid battle strategy involves properly managing ATB usage and cooldown times between party members. Wailing away on the attack button, then stopping to manually select a Fire spell feels a bit disjointed at first. In a way it can feel like patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time. I eventually got used to it, though, and the ATB/command select gives the game a more classic feel than I expected which is good. Even better is that players can also hotkey commands to the shoulder buttons. This makes executing favorite moves, such as Cloud's Braver attack, a simple button press away. Hitting up and down on the d-pad seamlessly switches between characters. Some heroes sport abilities better suited for certain threats. Cloud's magic may reach some airborne enemies, but Barrett's gun arm is a far more reliable solution to that problem. While in control of one character, the rest of the party handles their business in the background, so there’s no need to micromanage everyone. It’s also cool to watch partners tear foes to shreds off in the distance. However, you can still pause the fight to issue specific commands to your teammates. I fight my way pass a few waves of goons until I arrive at the Scorpion Sentinel boss battle. This multi-legged machine is no joke, dishing out rocket barrages and a wide-reaching EMP blast. Again, the impressive fire and particle effects sell the chaotic and desperate vibe of the fight. The Scorpion’s relentless assault beats me into skillfully using the dodge and block maneuvers as I get my butt handed to me early on. Basic attacks do minimal damage against the hardy machine. Thankfully, enemies often sport weaknesses that can be exploited, and the Scorpion is vulnerable to electrical attacks. I switch to Barrett and dump as much lightning as the ATB gauge will allow, doing tons of damage. Once I finally stagger the machine, I unload with Cloud’s most powerful sword attacks. After a back and forth struggle the Scorpion Sentinel is, quite literally, on its last legs. All that’s left is to individually target its limbs to further disable it. I throw everything I have at these appendages until they shatter, grounding the machine for good. A final Limit Break reduces the Scorpion to a fiery heap and the demo concludes. I had a great time with this first look, and I’m more excited than ever to experience Cloud’s revamped adventure. So far the marriage of JRPG and action mechanics seems well-suited; I’m curious to see how it evolves with a full party of characters. Most importantly, the overall atmosphere and vibe of Final Fantasy VII felt intact even with the massive overhaul. I just hope the rest of the game can maintain that momentum. We won’t have to wait nearly as long to find out as initially expected. Final Fantasy VII Remake releases on March 3 for PlayStation 4. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games
  3. Final Fantasy VII Remake has been a long time coming–and that’s only talking about the 6 years since it was officially announced. Like Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III before it, the game has acquired a near mythical status where it needs to be played to be believed. Thankfully, Square Enix gave fans the chance to do just that with a playable demo at its E3 booth. After getting my hands on it, I'm more eager than ever to take down Shinra one more time. The demo offers a slice of the game’s opening mission shown during Square's E3 briefing. Cloud and Barrett fight their way through the bowels of Shinra’s headquarters at the behest of eco-terrorist group AVALANCHE. First and foremost, I’m floored by how stunning everything looks. Cloud and Barrett have never looked better, and their in-game models trump their Advent Children renditions. Fluid animations, gorgeous effects, plus neat little touches, such as the myriad of scratches on Cloud’s Buster Sword, make Final Fantasy VII Remake a serious piece of eye-candy. Combat blends fast-paced action with traditional turn-based mechanics. Basic melee attacks are performed by mashing the square button. Despite looking and feeling good, these attacks don't do a ton of damage. Instead of chipping away at an enemy’s health, the melee’s primary focus is to whittle away at foes until they become staggered, which leaves them vulnerable for more powerful attacks. Such big-time moves include spells and, of course, Limit Breaks. Hitting X pauses combat to allow players to select commands in classic JRPG style. Executing these actions costs a portion of the classic Active Time Battle gauge. This meter continually refills itself, so having a solid battle strategy involves properly managing ATB usage and cooldown times between party members. Wailing away on the attack button, then stopping to manually select a Fire spell feels a bit disjointed at first. In a way it can feel like patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time. I eventually got used to it, though, and the ATB/command select gives the game a more classic feel than I expected which is good. Even better is that players can also hotkey commands to the shoulder buttons. This makes executing favorite moves, such as Cloud's Braver attack, a simple button press away. Hitting up and down on the d-pad seamlessly switches between characters. Some heroes sport abilities better suited for certain threats. Cloud's magic may reach some airborne enemies, but Barrett's gun arm is a far more reliable solution to that problem. While in control of one character, the rest of the party handles their business in the background, so there’s no need to micromanage everyone. It’s also cool to watch partners tear foes to shreds off in the distance. However, you can still pause the fight to issue specific commands to your teammates. I fight my way pass a few waves of goons until I arrive at the Scorpion Sentinel boss battle. This multi-legged machine is no joke, dishing out rocket barrages and a wide-reaching EMP blast. Again, the impressive fire and particle effects sell the chaotic and desperate vibe of the fight. The Scorpion’s relentless assault beats me into skillfully using the dodge and block maneuvers as I get my butt handed to me early on. Basic attacks do minimal damage against the hardy machine. Thankfully, enemies often sport weaknesses that can be exploited, and the Scorpion is vulnerable to electrical attacks. I switch to Barrett and dump as much lightning as the ATB gauge will allow, doing tons of damage. Once I finally stagger the machine, I unload with Cloud’s most powerful sword attacks. After a back and forth struggle the Scorpion Sentinel is, quite literally, on its last legs. All that’s left is to individually target its limbs to further disable it. I throw everything I have at these appendages until they shatter, grounding the machine for good. A final Limit Break reduces the Scorpion to a fiery heap and the demo concludes. I had a great time with this first look, and I’m more excited than ever to experience Cloud’s revamped adventure. So far the marriage of JRPG and action mechanics seems well-suited; I’m curious to see how it evolves with a full party of characters. Most importantly, the overall atmosphere and vibe of Final Fantasy VII felt intact even with the massive overhaul. I just hope the rest of the game can maintain that momentum. We won’t have to wait nearly as long to find out as initially expected. Final Fantasy VII Remake releases on March 3 for PlayStation 4. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games View full article
  4. As E3 2019 draws to a close, Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen during the final day of the show. They are also joined by freelance writer, social media wiz, and game dev-in-training Kevin Slackie to break down the overall feeling of the show this year. Cool games, conflicting opinions, and more await in the last podcast from this year's E3. You can listen to all of the daily recaps in the handy playlist embedded below! Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  5. As E3 2019 draws to a close, Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen during the final day of the show. They are also joined by freelance writer, social media wiz, and game dev-in-training Kevin Slackie to break down the overall feeling of the show this year. Cool games, conflicting opinions, and more await in the last podcast from this year's E3. You can listen to all of the daily recaps in the handy playlist embedded below! Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  6. Last week
  7. As an Extra Life volunteer, pitches are your most important skill to develop. For as much money as you can raise on your own, the amount increases exponentially with each additional marathoner and volunteer you can recruit to the cause. A pitch must be attention grabbing, appealing, and most importantly: short. Do’s & Don’ts of a good pitch Do: Keep it light, speak clearly, have several variants of pitches to appeal to different audiences, know your FAQs, practice, time your pitch, create a quick “TL;DR” version aka KEEP IT SHORT Don’t: Swear, mention politics, be pushy, enter personal space, be overly familiar, be on your phone/disengaged, overuse guilt trips Anatomy of a Pitch: The Hook - Used to get people to approach. Usually a single sentence or two, an attention grabber. Examples: Have you ever wanted to be in a charity marathon but didn’t want to run? Help sick kids by gaming at home! Ask me how! I love your ___ costume! Do you like gaming? Have you heard of Extra Life? The TL;DR - A quick summary of who we are and what we do, no more than 15 seconds. This is how you GAUGE INTEREST Example: We’re a Children’s Miracle Network affiliate benefitting KUMed Pediatrics. We function sort of like a 5k but instead of running a marathon we have an annual gaming marathon! We raise money year round and 100% of what we raise goes to sick Kansas City area kids. This hits the main points: who we’re benefitting, the fact that we are 100% non-profit, what the marathon is, and the fact that the funds stay local. Feel free to tailor this to your audience. For example, joke about not running with non-athletic people. Simplify for kids and mention that they could ask their parents about participating. Hit the “helping sick kids” harder with older folks who may not want to sign up but might donate. The Quick and Dirty - Your person seems interested but also like they have somewhere to be soon. Sum up what they can do to help! Example: So what we’re doing here at [event name here] is signing interested people up to participate in the marathon. If you’re interested, it will only take a moment to sign up and in a couple of weeks we’ll email you your pre-made fundraiser page. If you’re not sure, we’d love if you shared about us on social media and you can feel free to take some information. Donations are also always appreciated - every little bit helps local kids! Make sure you make it clear how they can help and how little it takes. Convenience is not the enemy because literally anything that helps adds up! The In-Depth - In place of the Quick and Dirty or in addition to it. Your person is actively interested and is asking questions. Things to include: KNOW YOUR FAQs. Your resource page has an FAQ sheet and myself and Lora can get you hard copies on request. You should be able to answer when game day is, what kind of games you can play, are there specific events, do i have to stream, does it cost to participate, do I have to play local, etc. etc. etc. KNOW YOUR WHY. Why do you, personally, participate in this event? Personal anecdotes are a great way to add a more immediate reality of what you’re doing for a potential recruit. BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING. Mention how rewarding it is to help local kids. Show off the miracle kids book / pages at the booth. Talk about how it’s a charity that enables you to help even if you don’t have the funds to donate personally or a lot of time. Feel free to elaborate how flexible game day is here. It never hurts to mention that it is charitable work and by that token is tax deductible, looks good on a job or college application, and is a great excuse to spend a ton of time doing something fun while helping others. SWAG. Don’t feel bad about sweetening the pot. We’ve got some neat buttons and other cute extra life swag as a reward for different beneficial actions. The Wrap Up - Final thoughts This should be pretty similar to your quick and dirty. Reiterate the simplicity of what you’re doing and if they remain uninterested in signing up, encourage them to donate or share about us. It never hurts to remind them that if they’re not interested, a friend may be.
  8. Extra Life Kansas City Guild Meeting Notes June 12 Game Day is November 2nd Join our team here: https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.team&teamID=44644 Guild Information: 1) We increase funds and awareness for KU Medical Center Pediatrics 2) Together we Save kids' lives through rallying and connecting local organizations together! 3) Purpose of the Guild is to Register, Fundraise, and Get Social! MONEY RAISED as of June 12: $18,985 (I believe it is higher now) NUMBER OF GAMERS as of June 12: 155 MEETING NOTES: 1) First, we discussed the past 3 events. We all agreed that doing smaller, more laid back, events is fun and is successful! We all enjoyed PopCon and Light Saber Battle but opt not to do Conquest again as it is not free. 2) It was agreed that when doing outdoor events we should remind volunteers to wear sunscreen and pack water and snacks 3) We also had a large discussion about getting back out into the community again and hanging posters in game shops, bars, etc. We discussed putting together a database of all the gaming-related businesses in the Kansas City area and perhaps even assigning people to go hang posters at these places or discuss bigger opportunities. 4) We agreed that next month Lora would provide info on how to pitch Extra Life to businesses instead of just to people and have a large planning session about which businesses in KC we should approach first and delegate who should go talk to them. 5) Agreed to do a pitch-off in Sept or Oct and that the prize should be a donation to the winner's page. 6) Meetings will now be at 7pm instead of 630pm. 7) Meeting locations will now be at local libraries. UPCOMING VOLUNTEER EVENTS: MAKER FAIRE Extra Life Organizer: Brie Location and times: June 22 and 23 @ Union Station How to Sign Up: Contact Brie! She will have all info to everyone shortly! NORTHLAND PRIDE Extra Life Organizer: Lora Location and times: June 30 @ Linden Square in Gladstone How to Sign Up: Message Lora KANTCON Extra Life Organizer: Lora/Katie Location and times: July 19-21 @ OP Convention Center What will be doing?: We will either have a booth or Katie will have flyers at the Midwest Game Fest table! Stay tuned for more information! Workshop: Pitch, Please! Below is a quick summary. A full description can be read on this thread here: As an Extra Life volunteer, pitches are your most important skill to develop. For as much money as you can raise on your own, the amount increases exponentially with each additional marathoner and volunteer you can recruit to the cause. A pitch must be attention grabbing, appealing, and most importantly: short. Do: Keep it light, speak clearly, and keep it short Don't: Swear, discuss touchy topics, be pushy The Hook - Used to get people to approach. Usually a single sentence or two, an attention grabber. The Line(s) - A quick summary of who we are and what we do, no more than 15 seconds. This is how you GAUGE INTEREST. Example: We’re a Children’s Miracle Network affiliate benefitting KUMed Pediatrics. We function sort of like a 5k but instead of running a marathon we have an annual gaming marathon! We raise money year round and 100% of what we raise goes to sick Kansas City area kids. Have two types of pitches: The Quick & Dirty and the In-Depth. The Sinker - Share some swag and close the deal! Don’t feel bad about sweetening the pot. We’ve got some neat buttons and other cute extra life swag as a reward for different beneficial actions. Next meeting Date:Next meeting is Wednesday, July 10th at 7pm at a local library (stay tuned) Workshop: Professional Pitches
  9. Victoria Enmon was an amazing little girl. She demonstrated love and compassion to others around her as much as she possibly could. Whether being thrown into the air at cheer leading practice or battling cancer, she never stopped supporting the people whose lives she touched. In the words of her parents, Vic and Jo Ellen Enmon, she flew. Today would have been Victoria's 27th birthday. "She wasn't afraid of heights. In fact, she wasn't really afraid of anything." - Jo Ellen Enmon At a little over 11 years old, Victoria was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and it would be something she fought for the rest of her life. While she battled her condition, undergoing multiple transplants and treatments, she never let it break her spirits. Even while sick, Extra Life's founder, Jeromy "Doc" Adams recalls her as "the kind of kid you could hear coming before long before she got to your soundproof studio." It also never stopped her from giving all of herself over to helping people without hesitation. At Camp Periwinkle, a summer camp for children with cancer, one of her doctors holds onto the memory of her helping another girl suffering from both cystic fibrosis and cancer. That little girl needed extra help to get ready to experience camp each day, and throughout that week Victoria came to help. Victoria made sure that her fellow camper would get to have an unforgettable camp experience. No one asked her to, she just did it. As she entered what would be her final stay in a hospital, Jeromy Adams began working with Sarcastic Gamer to get her some games to help her pass the time during her treatments. The overwhelming response consisted of more games than her family could handle. Of course, Victoria started giving them away to other kids in the hospital. That impulse to give everything to those around her, that was just the kind of person she was. "You know, here she is, lying up in bed tubes connected to her. She didn't go and cry about it or bemoan her situation. She went around to all these other kids to make them feel better. I think that's really the legacy of her." - Vic Enmon From 11 years old until 15 years old, Victoria never stopped fighting, not even when she contracted a fungal infection due to her compromised immune system. She passed away on January 21, 2008, finally resting from her battle against leukemia, failed transplants, and infections. But that's not the end of her story. To keep her spirit alive and make sure that everyone knows how amazing she was, Jeromy Adams started Extra Life that same year. On october 13, 2008, over 1,200 people showed up to support children like Victoria. It has grown every year since and has now raised over $50 million to help sick and injured kids across the United States and Canada. One of Victoria's last wishes was to see Christmas lights. The final time he saw her, Victoria, her parents, and Jeromy all stepped outside to see the lights glow in the dark. "We were only outside for about 10 minutes. There wasn't a lot of talking. We just looked at lights," Jeromy remembers. Victoria isn't gone. She's become like those lights, shining brightly in the dark, touching more lives with comfort and love with each passing year. She's able to do that through all of us working to keep that fearless and caring spirit alive. Happy birthday Victoria. We're doing our best. For The Kids View full article
  10. Victoria Enmon was an amazing little girl. She demonstrated love and compassion to others around her as much as she possibly could. Whether being thrown into the air at cheer leading practice or battling cancer, she never stopped supporting the people whose lives she touched. In the words of her parents, Vic and Jo Ellen Enmon, she flew. Today would have been Victoria's 27th birthday. "She wasn't afraid of heights. In fact, she wasn't really afraid of anything." - Jo Ellen Enmon At a little over 11 years old, Victoria was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and it would be something she fought for the rest of her life. While she battled her condition, undergoing multiple transplants and treatments, she never let it break her spirits. Even while sick, Extra Life's founder, Jeromy "Doc" Adams recalls her as "the kind of kid you could hear coming before long before she got to your soundproof studio." It also never stopped her from giving all of herself over to helping people without hesitation. At Camp Periwinkle, a summer camp for children with cancer, one of her doctors holds onto the memory of her helping another girl suffering from both cystic fibrosis and cancer. That little girl needed extra help to get ready to experience camp each day, and throughout that week Victoria came to help. Victoria made sure that her fellow camper would get to have an unforgettable camp experience. No one asked her to, she just did it. As she entered what would be her final stay in a hospital, Jeromy Adams began working with Sarcastic Gamer to get her some games to help her pass the time during her treatments. The overwhelming response consisted of more games than her family could handle. Of course, Victoria started giving them away to other kids in the hospital. That impulse to give everything to those around her, that was just the kind of person she was. "You know, here she is, lying up in bed tubes connected to her. She didn't go and cry about it or bemoan her situation. She went around to all these other kids to make them feel better. I think that's really the legacy of her." - Vic Enmon From 11 years old until 15 years old, Victoria never stopped fighting, not even when she contracted a fungal infection due to her compromised immune system. She passed away on January 21, 2008, finally resting from her battle against leukemia, failed transplants, and infections. But that's not the end of her story. To keep her spirit alive and make sure that everyone knows how amazing she was, Jeromy Adams started Extra Life that same year. On october 13, 2008, over 1,200 people showed up to support children like Victoria. It has grown every year since and has now raised over $50 million to help sick and injured kids across the United States and Canada. One of Victoria's last wishes was to see Christmas lights. The final time he saw her, Victoria, her parents, and Jeromy all stepped outside to see the lights glow in the dark. "We were only outside for about 10 minutes. There wasn't a lot of talking. We just looked at lights," Jeromy remembers. Victoria isn't gone. She's become like those lights, shining brightly in the dark, touching more lives with comfort and love with each passing year. She's able to do that through all of us working to keep that fearless and caring spirit alive. Happy birthday Victoria. We're doing our best. For The Kids
  11. Those are some really nice "Offline" graphics sir/mam. o/
  12. What Rainbow Six Siege did for PvP, Rainbow Six Quarantine aims to do with PvE. This promise was made by Ubisoft during their E3 2019 press conference. There are two kinds of people in the world: PvP players, who love fighting their friends and strangers competitively, and PvE players, who love teaming up and taking down hordes of enemies with old friends and new acquaintances alike. With Rainbow Six Siege, Ubisoft proved their worth as a publisher who supports their games over time, turning a middling – but promising – squad-based shooter into one of the biggest competitive multiplayer games in the world. Even though many gamers continue to lament the untimely cancellation of Rainbow 6: Patriots, it's impossible to deny that Rainbow Six Siege is truly something special. Now, Ubisoft looks to turn their attention to the cooperative PvE space with Rainbow Six Quarantine. Though we know little about the upcoming co-op shooter, Ubisoft's introductory teaser trailer showed Quarantine will involve some kind of viral infection which can affect players. Presumably, said virus also serves as the source of the hordes of enemies which are required in any type of co-op shooter. Rainbow Six Quarantine features teams of three, a popular fireteam size in co-op games (see Destiny, another extremely popular multiplayer title), though not much is known beyond that, as no actual gameplay was shown during Ubisoft's E3 presentation. Back in early 2018, Rainbow Six Siege experimented with PvE action in Operation Chimera, a limited-time game mode which pitted Siege's operators against an alien threat. While it's unknown what cues – if any – Quarantine will take from Operation Chimera, it's nice to see Ubisoft experimenting with the Tom Clancy brand, even if die hard fans of the old-school Rainbow Six games scoff and roll their eyes at the very thought of extra-terrestrial threats in the ultra-realistic universe of the Tom Clancy games. At the very least, Rainbow Six Siege has proven popular and enduring enough for the brand to have earned the right to branch out in whatever way they want, no matter how unexpected. Despite being nearly four years old, Siege remains insanely popular to this day, and if Ubisoft can pull off a similar stunt using a cooperative, rather than a competitive, template, then Rainbow Six Quarantine has the potential to be a preeminent great multiplayer experience for years to come. Rainbow Six Quarantine is scheduled for release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC sometime in 2020. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games View full article
  13. What Rainbow Six Siege did for PvP, Rainbow Six Quarantine aims to do with PvE. This promise was made by Ubisoft during their E3 2019 press conference. There are two kinds of people in the world: PvP players, who love fighting their friends and strangers competitively, and PvE players, who love teaming up and taking down hordes of enemies with old friends and new acquaintances alike. With Rainbow Six Siege, Ubisoft proved their worth as a publisher who supports their games over time, turning a middling – but promising – squad-based shooter into one of the biggest competitive multiplayer games in the world. Even though many gamers continue to lament the untimely cancellation of Rainbow 6: Patriots, it's impossible to deny that Rainbow Six Siege is truly something special. Now, Ubisoft looks to turn their attention to the cooperative PvE space with Rainbow Six Quarantine. Though we know little about the upcoming co-op shooter, Ubisoft's introductory teaser trailer showed Quarantine will involve some kind of viral infection which can affect players. Presumably, said virus also serves as the source of the hordes of enemies which are required in any type of co-op shooter. Rainbow Six Quarantine features teams of three, a popular fireteam size in co-op games (see Destiny, another extremely popular multiplayer title), though not much is known beyond that, as no actual gameplay was shown during Ubisoft's E3 presentation. Back in early 2018, Rainbow Six Siege experimented with PvE action in Operation Chimera, a limited-time game mode which pitted Siege's operators against an alien threat. While it's unknown what cues – if any – Quarantine will take from Operation Chimera, it's nice to see Ubisoft experimenting with the Tom Clancy brand, even if die hard fans of the old-school Rainbow Six games scoff and roll their eyes at the very thought of extra-terrestrial threats in the ultra-realistic universe of the Tom Clancy games. At the very least, Rainbow Six Siege has proven popular and enduring enough for the brand to have earned the right to branch out in whatever way they want, no matter how unexpected. Despite being nearly four years old, Siege remains insanely popular to this day, and if Ubisoft can pull off a similar stunt using a cooperative, rather than a competitive, template, then Rainbow Six Quarantine has the potential to be a preeminent great multiplayer experience for years to come. Rainbow Six Quarantine is scheduled for release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC sometime in 2020. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games
  14. Earlier
  15. After coming to light last year via the teasiest of teasers, the new Battletoads game received its debut trailer during the 2019 Xbox E3 media briefing. Rash, Pimple, and Zit will bring their nostalgic flavor of beat em’ up fun exclusively to Microsoft’s console. Battletoads hasn’t had a proper sequel since Battletoads Arcade in 1994. That hasn’t stopped a dedicated sect of fans from keeping the dream alive (which includes pranking retail stores by requesting info on “the new Battletoads”). The possibility for a new game reignited in earnest 2013 when head of Xbox Phil Spencer expressed his affinity for the series and desire to see it return. In recent years, the Battletoads have made something of gradual comeback thanks to re-releases in Rare Replay as well as cameo appearances in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct. 3-player couch co-op stands as perhaps the most exciting and important feature of the new Battletoads. Players punch, kick, and lick their way to victory against a myriad of foes and bosses. Battletoads sports a vibrant hand-drawn look that resembles a Saturday morning cartoon. Absurd, over-the-top animations accentuate the style–get ready for oversized fist and exaggerated, Looney Toons-esque mallet strikes. The most humorous/terrifying part of the trailer is the confirmation of a high-speed hoverbike segment. This tip of the hat to a similar and notoriously difficult segment in Battletoads for NES should hopefully result in far less headaches. Battletoads doesn’t have a release window though 2019 seems to be the assumed window. It will launch on Xbox One and arrive on Xbox Game Pass on day one. While there’s no confirmation of a PC release, one would have to assume given the arrival of Game Pass to the platform. How do you think Battletoads’ return is shaping up? Let us know in the comments! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games
  16. After coming to light last year via the teasiest of teasers, the new Battletoads game received its debut trailer during the 2019 Xbox E3 media briefing. Rash, Pimple, and Zit will bring their nostalgic flavor of beat em’ up fun exclusively to Microsoft’s console. Battletoads hasn’t had a proper sequel since Battletoads Arcade in 1994. That hasn’t stopped a dedicated sect of fans from keeping the dream alive (which includes pranking retail stores by requesting info on “the new Battletoads”). The possibility for a new game reignited in earnest 2013 when head of Xbox Phil Spencer expressed his affinity for the series and desire to see it return. In recent years, the Battletoads have made something of gradual comeback thanks to re-releases in Rare Replay as well as cameo appearances in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct. 3-player couch co-op stands as perhaps the most exciting and important feature of the new Battletoads. Players punch, kick, and lick their way to victory against a myriad of foes and bosses. Battletoads sports a vibrant hand-drawn look that resembles a Saturday morning cartoon. Absurd, over-the-top animations accentuate the style–get ready for oversized fist and exaggerated, Looney Toons-esque mallet strikes. The most humorous/terrifying part of the trailer is the confirmation of a high-speed hoverbike segment. This tip of the hat to a similar and notoriously difficult segment in Battletoads for NES should hopefully result in far less headaches. Battletoads doesn’t have a release window though 2019 seems to be the assumed window. It will launch on Xbox One and arrive on Xbox Game Pass on day one. While there’s no confirmation of a PC release, one would have to assume given the arrival of Game Pass to the platform. How do you think Battletoads’ return is shaping up? Let us know in the comments! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games View full article
  17. Ubisoft's Watch Dogs series follows a world where private security companies have all but monopolized public safety, leading to increased surveillance by private companies and zero expectations of privacy. The first two games, set in Chicago and San Francisco, respectively, feature hackers who seek to undermine the evil corporations and their totalitarian aspirations while simultaneously following their own, more personal, quests. In Watch Dogs: Legion, the centralized protagonist has been replaced by the game's main hook: a veritable army of freedom fighters who make up an ensemble cast of leading characters. In the not too distant future, London is every conspiracy theorist's worst nightmare come to life. Spy drones litter the sky, surveillance cameras dot every street corner, and a single corporate conglomerate oversees the entirety of the city's existence. Ubisoft's E3 presentation opened with the player character, a bald Brit named Ian Robshaw, communicating with a formless, but charming, Artificial Intelligence named Bagley. The entire demo looks like a real-time play session, and As Ian walks down the street, it's clear this isn't the London we all know and love. In the world of Watch Dogs, the city has become something of a cyberpunk dystopia; bright neon lights and holographic projections offer a heightened technological aesthetic which pairs nicely with the oppressive surveillance state the city has become. Ian and Bagley are searching for an expert on the city's high-tech drones, and they find one in the form of a Jimmy Shaw, a young man who winds up getting into a fight with London's heavily militarized private police force. Ian puts on a creepy skull mask and rescues the hacker, making himself the target. An exciting chase ensues, in which an armed drone wounds Ian to the point where a choice appears on screen: surrender, or keep fighting. Ian opts to keep fighting, activating optical camouflage to buy enough time to hijack a taxi and speed off. Unfortunately, the private army follows, and Ian is ultimately shot to death after crashing his stolen vehicle. Instead of a game over screen, however, the game goes to a menu where the player can choose from another DedSec agent. From here, the demo features Helen, a senior citizen and retired assassin with an infectiously devil-may-care demeanor, and Naomi Brooke, a no-nonsense operative who completes the mission, recruiting Jimmy to DedSec and lamenting Ian's death with the grateful young revolutionary. There are no continues in Watch Dogs: Legion; when a character dies, they don't come back. This roguelike element is almost entirely unheard of in the AAA open-world space. It's hard to imagine the game will have unique dialogue for all of the potential player characters in every single cutscene, but this provocative early look certainly earned our attention. If Ubisoft can follow through on the ideas brought forth in this first look, then Watch Dogs: Legion could be one of the most exciting and ambitious games of the generation. Watch Dogs: Legion releases March 5, 2020 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Google Stadia. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  18. Ubisoft's Watch Dogs series follows a world where private security companies have all but monopolized public safety, leading to increased surveillance by private companies and zero expectations of privacy. The first two games, set in Chicago and San Francisco, respectively, feature hackers who seek to undermine the evil corporations and their totalitarian aspirations while simultaneously following their own, more personal, quests. In Watch Dogs: Legion, the centralized protagonist has been replaced by the game's main hook: a veritable army of freedom fighters who make up an ensemble cast of leading characters. In the not too distant future, London is every conspiracy theorist's worst nightmare come to life. Spy drones litter the sky, surveillance cameras dot every street corner, and a single corporate conglomerate oversees the entirety of the city's existence. Ubisoft's E3 presentation opened with the player character, a bald Brit named Ian Robshaw, communicating with a formless, but charming, Artificial Intelligence named Bagley. The entire demo looks like a real-time play session, and As Ian walks down the street, it's clear this isn't the London we all know and love. In the world of Watch Dogs, the city has become something of a cyberpunk dystopia; bright neon lights and holographic projections offer a heightened technological aesthetic which pairs nicely with the oppressive surveillance state the city has become. Ian and Bagley are searching for an expert on the city's high-tech drones, and they find one in the form of a Jimmy Shaw, a young man who winds up getting into a fight with London's heavily militarized private police force. Ian puts on a creepy skull mask and rescues the hacker, making himself the target. An exciting chase ensues, in which an armed drone wounds Ian to the point where a choice appears on screen: surrender, or keep fighting. Ian opts to keep fighting, activating optical camouflage to buy enough time to hijack a taxi and speed off. Unfortunately, the private army follows, and Ian is ultimately shot to death after crashing his stolen vehicle. Instead of a game over screen, however, the game goes to a menu where the player can choose from another DedSec agent. From here, the demo features Helen, a senior citizen and retired assassin with an infectiously devil-may-care demeanor, and Naomi Brooke, a no-nonsense operative who completes the mission, recruiting Jimmy to DedSec and lamenting Ian's death with the grateful young revolutionary. There are no continues in Watch Dogs: Legion; when a character dies, they don't come back. This roguelike element is almost entirely unheard of in the AAA open-world space. It's hard to imagine the game will have unique dialogue for all of the potential player characters in every single cutscene, but this provocative early look certainly earned our attention. If Ubisoft can follow through on the ideas brought forth in this first look, then Watch Dogs: Legion could be one of the most exciting and ambitious games of the generation. Watch Dogs: Legion releases March 5, 2020 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Google Stadia. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  19. After a day spent exploring the E3 show floor, the writing team reconvenes to discuss what they learned after spending time talking with developers and publishers. There's a lot to discuss! Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen so far and what might be just around the corner in gaming. Together, the group has assembled to help parse the massive number of games and experiences brought on by the year's biggest gaming trade show. They will be doing daily recaps of each day of the event, cataloging what they've seen, heard, and played. Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  20. After a day spent exploring the E3 show floor, the writing team reconvenes to discuss what they learned after spending time talking with developers and publishers. There's a lot to discuss! Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen so far and what might be just around the corner in gaming. Together, the group has assembled to help parse the massive number of games and experiences brought on by the year's biggest gaming trade show. They will be doing daily recaps of each day of the event, cataloging what they've seen, heard, and played. Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  21. After a day spent exploring the E3 show floor, the writing team reconvenes to discuss what they learned after spending time talking with developers and publishers. There's a lot to discuss! Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen so far and what might be just around the corner in gaming. Together, the group has assembled to help parse the massive number of games and experiences brought on by the year's biggest gaming trade show. They will be doing daily recaps of each day of the event, cataloging what they've seen, heard, and played. Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  22. After a day spent exploring the E3 show floor, the writing team reconvenes to discuss what they learned after spending time talking with developers and publishers. There's a lot to discuss! Jack Gardner, Naomi Lugo, Zak Wojnar, and Marcus Stewart gather to talk about the best games they've seen so far and what might be just around the corner in gaming. Together, the group has assembled to help parse the massive number of games and experiences brought on by the year's biggest gaming trade show. They will be doing daily recaps of each day of the event, cataloging what they've seen, heard, and played. Music from https://filmmusic.io: "Spellbound" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) Licence: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is available, as well! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  23. Animal Crossing on the Switch remained a relative mystery until a new trailer revealed itself during the Nintendo E3 2019 release conference. Previously, all we had to cling on to was a Tom Nook monologue and a release window of 2019. While that window has been pushed back, we did gain quite a bit of new knowledge on the upcoming game. Dissatisfied with living the life of a small-time salesman, the wiley businessman Tom Nook has positioned himself as head of operations in the Animal Crossing world. He seems to have kept himself busy indeed with the establishment if Nook Inc. and the building of “The Deserted Island Getaway Package.” As the trailer moves along, we see a villager establishing themselves in this new world starting with the basics. They place a tent and get to work gathering resources to build up some sort of townscape. Time progresses and we see the layout getting more and more complicated as new items are crafted, areas are explored, and the world shapes up. More buildings pop up, causing residents to appear. Not only do the adorable furry and fuzzy creatures town denizens pop into existence, but fellow villagers also join the town. The presence of other human villagers firmly suggests multiplayer content exists or is at least planned. As this is Tom Nook, a further cut scene appears where he presents the villager with an itemized bill including everything from airfare to your “NookPhone.” I mean fair is fair. While this little scene acts as a joke making fun of Nooks ever-benevolent character, it does seem to bring up a subtle note of the mobile series Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. There may be a tie-in for the new game to the successful mobile title in some capacity. Maybe that connection will involve linking the social aspect of Pocket Camp into the multiplayer or perhaps a whole new gameplay element. While previously we had a release window, now we have a date. However, that date comes somewhat later than the 2019 timeframe we had up until this point. This upcoming game, fully titled Animal Crossing: New Horizons, will release on March 20, 2020. Further gameplay can be seen via the Nintendo Treehouse live event that aired after the press conference. The demo showcases the early game. Are you excited for Animal Crossing to come to Switch? What do you think of the new island setting? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on the Extra Life social channels! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  24. Animal Crossing on the Switch remained a relative mystery until a new trailer revealed itself during the Nintendo E3 2019 release conference. Previously, all we had to cling on to was a Tom Nook monologue and a release window of 2019. While that window has been pushed back, we did gain quite a bit of new knowledge on the upcoming game. Dissatisfied with living the life of a small-time salesman, the wiley businessman Tom Nook has positioned himself as head of operations in the Animal Crossing world. He seems to have kept himself busy indeed with the establishment if Nook Inc. and the building of “The Deserted Island Getaway Package.” As the trailer moves along, we see a villager establishing themselves in this new world starting with the basics. They place a tent and get to work gathering resources to build up some sort of townscape. Time progresses and we see the layout getting more and more complicated as new items are crafted, areas are explored, and the world shapes up. More buildings pop up, causing residents to appear. Not only do the adorable furry and fuzzy creatures town denizens pop into existence, but fellow villagers also join the town. The presence of other human villagers firmly suggests multiplayer content exists or is at least planned. As this is Tom Nook, a further cut scene appears where he presents the villager with an itemized bill including everything from airfare to your “NookPhone.” I mean fair is fair. While this little scene acts as a joke making fun of Nooks ever-benevolent character, it does seem to bring up a subtle note of the mobile series Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. There may be a tie-in for the new game to the successful mobile title in some capacity. Maybe that connection will involve linking the social aspect of Pocket Camp into the multiplayer or perhaps a whole new gameplay element. While previously we had a release window, now we have a date. However, that date comes somewhat later than the 2019 timeframe we had up until this point. This upcoming game, fully titled Animal Crossing: New Horizons, will release on March 20, 2020. Further gameplay can be seen via the Nintendo Treehouse live event that aired after the press conference. The demo showcases the early game. Are you excited for Animal Crossing to come to Switch? What do you think of the new island setting? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on the Extra Life social channels! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  25. A small sneak peek stole the entire show. At the end of the Nintendo Direct for E3 2019, a short trailer revealed the existence of the next installment in The Legend of Zelda franchise. There aren’t many details currently available, but here’s what we know so far. “We have more games in development beyond what you’ve seen today,” said senior managing executive officer at Nintendo Shinya Takahashi after a certain new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character was revealed. After saying no more, the stream cut to a trailer with very ominous tones. The trailer starts out ambiguous with glowing tendrils and two figures exploring what appears to be a dungeon. The music accompanying the imagery builds a sense of doom and sounds oddly familiar, yet distorted. In a strange way, it feels similar to another sequel that set a darker tone than its predecessor: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. A few moments in, we see our heroes, Link and a now short-haired Zelda, exploring the darkness. They seem to be searching for something specific rather than going on a general expedition. It’s then we see some semblance of a terrifying enemy either forming or, perhaps more worryingly, decaying. The figure reaches out into the world with a deadly touch. In flashes, we see bits of moments of the story, and then, we finally get to look into the genuinely disturbing eye of a beast. After these subterranean scenes, the camera cuts to the outer world. Where we once saw the gently rolling lands of Hyrule, we now see the ground greatly disturbed by whatever has awakened from its slumber. Text reading, “The sequel to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development,” pops onto the final screen. Since this is very early on in the development, no news of a release date appears. We can gather that the sequel likely takes place in the same universe as Breath of the Wild and continues on with the story. The graphics are very similar to BotW, so we can reasonably conclude that gameplay will be similar and the game may be made using the same engine. Link and Zelda are together in this trailer, so it could be possible that Nintendo heard our cries for a playable Zelda. Being able to switch between the two and explore Zelda’s fighting style and powers would be a catchy hook for newbie players as well as Legend of Zelda franchise veterans. It’s a hook that hasn’t been fully utilized in The Legend of Zelda series since Zelda’s Adventure, one of the terrible Philips CD-i games and could stand out as a redemptive moment for an often underutilized character. The big baddie looks like a dark change of pace for the series, so we wouldn’t be surprised to see a grim and harrowing story this time around to match. This new game could focus more on building up characters with a more streamlined story, an aspect many found wanting in Breath of the Wild. “I’m looking forward to the day we can introduce them to you,” said Takahashi. Hey, us too. What do you expect from the next installment in this storied franchise? When do you think we’ll see its release? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on the Extra Life social channels. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  26. A small sneak peek stole the entire show. At the end of the Nintendo Direct for E3 2019, a short trailer revealed the existence of the next installment in The Legend of Zelda franchise. There aren’t many details currently available, but here’s what we know so far. “We have more games in development beyond what you’ve seen today,” said senior managing executive officer at Nintendo Shinya Takahashi after a certain new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character was revealed. After saying no more, the stream cut to a trailer with very ominous tones. The trailer starts out ambiguous with glowing tendrils and two figures exploring what appears to be a dungeon. The music accompanying the imagery builds a sense of doom and sounds oddly familiar, yet distorted. In a strange way, it feels similar to another sequel that set a darker tone than its predecessor: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. A few moments in, we see our heroes, Link and a now short-haired Zelda, exploring the darkness. They seem to be searching for something specific rather than going on a general expedition. It’s then we see some semblance of a terrifying enemy either forming or, perhaps more worryingly, decaying. The figure reaches out into the world with a deadly touch. In flashes, we see bits of moments of the story, and then, we finally get to look into the genuinely disturbing eye of a beast. After these subterranean scenes, the camera cuts to the outer world. Where we once saw the gently rolling lands of Hyrule, we now see the ground greatly disturbed by whatever has awakened from its slumber. Text reading, “The sequel to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development,” pops onto the final screen. Since this is very early on in the development, no news of a release date appears. We can gather that the sequel likely takes place in the same universe as Breath of the Wild and continues on with the story. The graphics are very similar to BotW, so we can reasonably conclude that gameplay will be similar and the game may be made using the same engine. Link and Zelda are together in this trailer, so it could be possible that Nintendo heard our cries for a playable Zelda. Being able to switch between the two and explore Zelda’s fighting style and powers would be a catchy hook for newbie players as well as Legend of Zelda franchise veterans. It’s a hook that hasn’t been fully utilized in The Legend of Zelda series since Zelda’s Adventure, one of the terrible Philips CD-i games and could stand out as a redemptive moment for an often underutilized character. The big baddie looks like a dark change of pace for the series, so we wouldn’t be surprised to see a grim and harrowing story this time around to match. This new game could focus more on building up characters with a more streamlined story, an aspect many found wanting in Breath of the Wild. “I’m looking forward to the day we can introduce them to you,” said Takahashi. Hey, us too. What do you expect from the next installment in this storied franchise? When do you think we’ll see its release? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on the Extra Life social channels. Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  27. The makers of Psychonauts, Broken Age, and Brutal Legend have officially joined the Xbox family. Microsoft announced during its E3 presser that it has purchased Double Fine Productions as its latest first-party studio. Double Fine is, of course, currently hard at work developing the long-awaited Psychonauts 2. Studio head Tim Schafer posted a humorous video that clears the air about the sale. First and foremost, the crowdfunded Psychonauts 2 will still launch on its advertised platforms despite the sale. RAD, the studio’s other project in-development, will still be published under Bandai Namco, as well. Schafer promises that Double Fine’s company culture won’t change (such as its Amnesia Fortnight company game jam) and says he’s ultimately happy that they’ll no longer need to shop ideas around to publishers. The primary reason Psychonauts 2 took so long to get off the ground was because Double Fine spent years periodically pitching it to publishers with no success. Starbreeze Studios eventually signed on to help publish the game, a partnership that appeared in flux when the company fell into its current financial crisis. Not long after this news broke, Starbreeze revealed that it sold the publishing rights to Microsoft for $13.2 million. In just the last year, Microsoft has greatly expanded the roster of studios under the umbrella of Xbox Games Studios. At E3 2018, the company announced the purchase of Playground Games (Forza), Undead Labs (State of Decay), Ninja Theory (Hellblade, DmC Devil May Cry), Obsidian Entertainment (The Outer Worlds, Pillars of Eternity), and Compulsion Games (We Happy Few). It also formed The Initiative, a new studio led by ex-Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher. The mission behind these acquisitions is to help rebuild Microsoft's notoriously scant library of first-party exclusive games. As far as Psychonauts 2 goes, Double Fine unveiled the sequel’s first gameplay trailer. For the uninitiated, the plot centers on Raz, now a full-fledged Psychonaut, who must unravel a dark secret within the organization of psychic crime-fighters. Traveling through the mental worlds look to be just as much of a wacky trip as it was in the first game. One segment, for example, sees Raz traversing a bizarre world made out of floating teeth and gums. We also get a look at returning mechanics like rolling atop the psychic bubble. Psychonauts 2 will arrive to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, and Linux sometime in 2020. How do you feel about Double Fine becoming a first-party studio? Are you excited for Psychonauts 2? Let us know in the comments! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!
  28. The makers of Psychonauts, Broken Age, and Brutal Legend have officially joined the Xbox family. Microsoft announced during its E3 presser that it has purchased Double Fine Productions as its latest first-party studio. Double Fine is, of course, currently hard at work developing the long-awaited Psychonauts 2. Studio head Tim Schafer posted a humorous video that clears the air about the sale. First and foremost, the crowdfunded Psychonauts 2 will still launch on its advertised platforms despite the sale. RAD, the studio’s other project in-development, will still be published under Bandai Namco, as well. Schafer promises that Double Fine’s company culture won’t change (such as its Amnesia Fortnight company game jam) and says he’s ultimately happy that they’ll no longer need to shop ideas around to publishers. The primary reason Psychonauts 2 took so long to get off the ground was because Double Fine spent years periodically pitching it to publishers with no success. Starbreeze Studios eventually signed on to help publish the game, a partnership that appeared in flux when the company fell into its current financial crisis. Not long after this news broke, Starbreeze revealed that it sold the publishing rights to Microsoft for $13.2 million. In just the last year, Microsoft has greatly expanded the roster of studios under the umbrella of Xbox Games Studios. At E3 2018, the company announced the purchase of Playground Games (Forza), Undead Labs (State of Decay), Ninja Theory (Hellblade, DmC Devil May Cry), Obsidian Entertainment (The Outer Worlds, Pillars of Eternity), and Compulsion Games (We Happy Few). It also formed The Initiative, a new studio led by ex-Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher. The mission behind these acquisitions is to help rebuild Microsoft's notoriously scant library of first-party exclusive games. As far as Psychonauts 2 goes, Double Fine unveiled the sequel’s first gameplay trailer. For the uninitiated, the plot centers on Raz, now a full-fledged Psychonaut, who must unravel a dark secret within the organization of psychic crime-fighters. Traveling through the mental worlds look to be just as much of a wacky trip as it was in the first game. One segment, for example, sees Raz traversing a bizarre world made out of floating teeth and gums. We also get a look at returning mechanics like rolling atop the psychic bubble. Psychonauts 2 will arrive to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, and Linux sometime in 2020. How do you feel about Double Fine becoming a first-party studio? Are you excited for Psychonauts 2? Let us know in the comments! Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games! View full article
  1. Load more activity