Sign in to follow this  
Kwickxotic

Events discussion

Use this space to discuss upcoming events, requests for help, and ideas in general.

So, I was thinking (and talking with some people after the meeting) of doing a mini-con/large-ish gameday at one of our local stores (or another location) in late September/early October. Ideally, I'd like to see if we could get a variety of events going (ie, board game tournaments, Pathfinder stuff, maybe DnD Adventurer's League) so that we have a draw for people to come. We could either charge for a weekend pass or charge per-tournament (or maybe both?), with all the proceeds going to the Extra Life team. If we do this, it would be great to have people agree to run events; I can wrangle the Pathfinder crew, but if someone else has a favorite game, they could run a tournament for it or some other sort of special event. Of course, I'd like this to be a heavy recruiting opportunity as well.

Thoughts?

On 3/16/2016 at 11:05 AM, Lowell said:

So, I was thinking (and talking with some people after the meeting) of doing a mini-con/large-ish gameday at one of our local stores (or another location) in late September/early October. Ideally, I'd like to see if we could get a variety of events going (ie, board game tournaments, Pathfinder stuff, maybe DnD Adventurer's League) so that we have a draw for people to come. We could either charge for a weekend pass or charge per-tournament (or maybe both?), with all the proceeds going to the Extra Life team. If we do this, it would be great to have people agree to run events; I can wrangle the Pathfinder crew, but if someone else has a favorite game, they could run a tournament for it or some other sort of special event. Of course, I'd like this to be a heavy recruiting opportunity as well.

Thoughts?

I'd be happy to run some board game tournament. 

Regarding fees. I would recommend just charging a cover. The idea of double charging (even if the cost works out the same) leaves a negative ting in attendees. Bigger events get away with this but for a smaller one it may lower participation. Charging for individual events could work but then you lose out on folks there to just open game, which could be fine. 

On 3/16/2016 at 11:05 AM, Lowell said:

Thoughts?

I do enjoy this idea with a "donation at the door" option! I think we could get a lot of visibility and attendance out of an event like this. Talk to me offline about your ideas and we can approach someone about it!

So FredCon is coming July 15th. Does anyone have a plan to make an extra life presence? I could I just do not have any idea logistically what needs to be done. 

@Vausabant  Step 1 is to reach out to the organizers of FredCon and ask if we can come for recruiting. If you'd like to take the lead on that we encourage it, but be sure to keep Guild Leadership in the loop so we can help where necessary. If you'd like an example letter that we've sent to other organizations we can share one, just let me know.  

If they say yes, we'd start seeking Guild volunteers to help recruit at the event.  

Meanwhile, we'd need to gather information about how many volunteers are welcome, what setup we have (is there a table, booth, electricity, wifi, etc.) and any logistics about setup. 

Keith, Vinny and I are here to facilitate all of that. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!