A word to Extra Life marathon first timers! - Page 2 - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
KnytFyre

A word to Extra Life marathon first timers!

To get the incentives like the shirt and medals you have to register as a participant and you have to pay the $15 to register as a premium member. For the shirt, you have to raise $200 and the medals are $500. You don't get them as a donor, just as a participant.

So your saying I choose to raise 100 or 200 or is it asking me to pay 100 or 200 to enter. I'm a bit confused? Could I enter to raise the 200 for the shirt and donate to my own fund raiser to get the shirt or will I not be able to do that? I really want that shirt.

So your saying I choose to raise 100 or 200 or is it asking me to pay 100 or 200 to enter. I'm a bit confused? Could I enter to raise the 200 for the shirt and donate to my own fund raiser to get the shirt or will I not be able to do that? I really want that shirt.

It's cumulative towards your goal as a participant.

So whether you donate 200 towards your personal fundraiser, or you donate 100 and someone else donates 100, or some other group of people donate all 200, you get the shirt

It doesn't matter who donates, as long as you sign up as a platinum user, pay the $15, and raise $200.

It's cumulative towards your goal as a participant.

So whether you donate 200 towards your personal fundraiser, or you donate 100 and someone else donates 100, or some other group of people donate all 200, you get the shirt

It doesn't matter who donates, as long as you sign up as a platinum user, pay the $15, and raise $200.

Thanks for the information.

Here are somethings that I do:

I find games that I haven't played or completed in the last year or so, and just run them for about 3 to 4 hours, then its off to big box rpgs, or Pencil and paper RPGs (such as Dungeons and Dragons). Also having friends participate is a good idea, heck even a public LAN party is a great way to meet new gamers! I run a LAN party at my college and this is an absolute blast we even go so far setting up a mini living room with a tv, stereo system, and a little place to relax and take a break from gaming.

Some suggestions:

Take a 10 minute break every hour that you play, there have been recent studies that conclude if you sit down for a long time you will eventually develop blood clots in your legs. Try to have mini-competitions, people love to compete. Heck even a friend and I we did a speed run to see who could get the furthest in the storyline under an hour (we decided to put it at a tie). Speed running competitions are a great idea.

There are so much more ideas out there, just keep an opened mind!

I heard about this marathon through Roosterteeth and am part of their team.

They're doing a 24 hr stream so I'm going to have them on my laptop while I play on my desktop :)

I noticed someone on Reddit who is DMing a bunch of D&D games via Roll20 (a website that provides the interface to play pen and paper RPGs online) and Skype for his Extra Life marathon. He had a time slot right at the end of the marathon, so I signed up for that and figure that playing an interactive game with a bunch of other people that requires me to talk and such will help me power through that last few hours.

Other than that, I plan to save my most addictive games for last. Civilization Beyond Earth will probably come for the 4 hours or so before the D&D game.

Resurrecting this thread. With this year's game day quickly approaching, there are great tips here that can benefit newcomers and veterans alike. I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. If you want to skip the wall of text, scroll down to the end of this post for some quick advice.

This is my 6th year participating and captaining my team. With of a lot of planning and a little luck, (not to mention the having my awesome husband to game with), I'm proud to say that I've made it through the marathon every single time. We host my team's annual event at our house, so the two of us end up putting in quite a bit more than 24 or 25 hours. Last year, I made it all the way through with NO CAFFEINE. (Have to limit my intake due to drug interactions.)

So allow me to give you a little play by play. Our preparation begins a few days before the marathon where we make sure the house is tidy. We also plan ahead for the food situation. The past two years, I've ordered a turkey sandwich platter from a local sub shop, and that feeds us throughout the day. I make sure there are healthy snacks like veggie platters too. One cannot subsist on junk food alone. In that same vein, we start our game day off right. Much of the team gathers at the diner around the corner. That means my husband and I wake up about 5:30 AM to get ready and ensure we're the first ones there to greet the team. The night before, we will have already set up multiple gaming stations on a myriad of consoles, made sure there is a comfortable place to play tabletop games, and clear a space for those who are bringing their PCs.

Then by 8 am, everyone has eaten and arrived back at the house, so we begin. The team breaks off into groups and gets started on their game of choice. We rotate around a lot, and generally cheer one another on, unless of course we're playing against one another in which case we begrudgingly cheer the others on. ;)

As others have said, the daytime is the easy part. It's when the night falls and you start to get weary that it becomes a challenge. After a full day of gaming we take a little break for dinner. We usually order something from our favorite takeout place and then when it arrives, we take a break. This is usually the time that we boot up YouTube on the PS4 to watch some gaming related content. (Yogscast, NormalBoots, you know, stuff like that.)

Then it's back to gaming once we've finished our food. I keep tabs on everyone, and when it feels like the fatigue is coming on, that's when we break out Rock Band. It's a great game to re-energize with. Sometimes, we even take it a step further and get the blood pumping with some Just Dance or maybe Johann Sebastian Joust. Any game that gets you up and moving is a vital part of the evening. I agree with everyone else who says the wee hours of the morning are when the going gets really tough. At some point people start getting giggly and worn out. This is when some of the team gives in to slumber. The rule is, if you start to fall asleep we'll wake you and ask you if you're done or not. If you say you're not done, we'll do what we can to keep you awake. If you say you ARE done, we help you shuffle off to a quiet corner to sleep.

Some of the most fun we have happens in the time between around 2AM and the end of the marathon. I mentioned people getting giggly - Oh yes. Lack of sleep can be likened to drunkenness. If you give in and just accept that you're less coordinated, you can have a heck of a good time. Simple games like Hidden In Plain Sight are a riot when everyone is equally exhausted. The main takeaway: gaming with friends is better than gaming alone at this point in the marathon. Finally, when 8 am Sunday hits, we celebrate!

The aftermath of the marathon is our next concern. Those who want to go home will shuffle off with a promise to text me that they made it safely. A few may be too unconscious to rouse for a few hours, but that's alright too. We tidy up and collect all the garbage, and then hubby and I shuffle off to bed ourselves around 9:30 am. If you do the math, that means our 24 hour marathon turns into a 29 hour marathon quite easily. The sleep that follows is the best I get all year. :)

So given my experience, here are my tips. Many of the following nuggets of truth have already been covered, but it never hurts to reiterate good advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K8 tips for a great game day

1.) Sustain your body.

Plan meals and meal breaks ahead and keep plenty of water handy. Keep tabs on how you feel and if it gets to be too much, stop and make sure you are giving your body what it needs to keep going. 

1.) Sustain your mind.

Being ready to change activities often and having a variety to choose from will definitely help. Don't fall into a monotonous trap. Change it up, and your attention span will thank you!

2.) Don't go it alone.

Find some like minded Extra Lifers in your area. You don't have to create or join a team to game with others. Connect with your guild if you have one in your city, and see if any local gaming spots are doing game day events. If all else fails, post here on the forums to get a digital support network together and join with others for online games throughout the day, (and night.)

3.) Remember the 'Reason for the Season.'

The why is way more important than the what. Look up some stories from the hospital you support and hold them in your heart on game day. Nothing keeps you going like a sense of purpose. Remind yourself that you are making a difference, and the challenge will shrink before you.

4.) Know your limits.

Remember to tap out if you must. There is no shame in quitting early and picking back up later. Your donors should understand that their money is going to a great cause whether you finish the marathon or not. Besides, you can always try again later, or make up lost time after you've had a rest.

5.) Show me your moves!

Make time for some physically active games around halfway through your marathon, even if it's just for a short time. Anything that gets you moving and breathing faster will help here because aerobic exercise, heck, exercise in general is a natural stimulant. A few minutes of dancing or rocking out can give you the boost you need to make it all the way.

6.) Simplify.

When the going gets tough and your eyelids start to droop, it's time to break out the silly games. Here are just a few of my favorites for silly and simple fun. Links are included so you can look them up if you're interested. The video games are linked through steam, but I know that most of them are multi-platform so look for it on your console too.  

Video Games: Hidden in Plain SightSports Friends, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Gang Beasts / Tabletop Games: Tsuro, Zombie Dice, Snake Oil, Red Dragon Inn

These are all things that can be learned in a matter of moments and don't require a massive amount of brainpower to enjoy.

7.) Enjoy yourself.

Someone here already said it. If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong. Find your fun, and let slip the dogs of gaming!

8.) Wing it when necessary.

Okay, you got me. I didn't really have an 8th tip. I wanted to be cute and make sure there were 8. You know...  because of the 8 in my name? I mean, I thought it was pretty brilliant. LOL 

Have a great marathon this year! ;) 

• Like 3

The original story and Kate's post above are really good advice. 

I don't get upset, but the last couple of years at my event, I ended up closing up the store we hold it early.  People falling asleep, or just not staying awake. I end up making the few hours that i didn't do the next day or the next weekend. 

I can say locally... There are events the day of Extra Life, then a week after that, then there is another a week after that... that I am trying to get them to make it extra life related, so gamers that can;t do the full 24 hour in one sitting, have a few places to go to get their time in. :) 

I have a couple questions as this is my first time doing something like this. 

I have the page all set up, etc my team set up (just waiting for people to join it from work). 

What my main question is - Saturday Nov 5th we will be streaming for 24hrs straight.  Once the donations start rolling in and the event is done how do we get that money to extra life to donate?  Do I have to set something up that says we are doing the event on a certain day.  Or do they take the funds once a week? how does this work. 

Thanks

@Sneeches if I am understanding you correctly (And i hope i am. If not please let me know). You have your Extra Life fundraising page all set up, will you be expecting donations to come in online through your participant page? If so, you do not need to set something up that says you are doing it on a certain day. Donations can come in until the end of the year (December 31st). If you are getting checks/bills/etc. There is a form on the Extra Life site, that explains how to send those in/process them. 

But like I said, if you are expecting all the donations to be online there is nothing you need to do other than direct people to the participant page, and have them make the donation.

:)

2 minutes ago, Ben.Trently said:

@Sneeches if I am understanding you correctly (And i hope i am. If not please let me know). You have your Extra Life fundraising page all set up, will you be expecting donations to come in online through your participant page? If so, you do not need to set something up that says you are doing it on a certain day. Donations can come in until the end of the year (December 31st). If you are getting checks/bills/etc. There is a form on the Extra Life site, that explains how to send those in/process them. 

But like I said, if you are expecting all the donations to be online there is nothing you need to do other than direct people to the participant page, and have them make the donation.

:)

Thanks for the reply.  Yes all the funds I'm looking to raise will be through the online site but my question is how does extra life take that money?  Do they do it weekly or annually or what? 

4 hours ago, Sneeches said:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes all the funds I'm looking to raise will be through the online site but my question is how does extra life take that money?  Do they do it weekly or annually or what? 

Hey @Sneeches - all of the money that you raise through your fundraising page gets processed same day! We then send that money to the hospitals in quarterly disbursements :)