Recruiting at college campus - Guild information and Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sfreddo

Recruiting at college campus

Has anyone tried recruiting at college events before? I've been out of school a few years but I always had classes that had guest speakers and rewarded extra credit for participating in various studies or events. Plus it always looks good on a resume to have community activites and clubs.

Just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

John

This is an idea that we are tossing around right now in our guild. I think it would depend on the college/university and their policies.

We are currently trying to figure out who to get in contact with on each of the campuses to hang up fliers, and possibly set up recruiting sessions.

Right now, colleges are doing a lot of recruiting for high school students. Just since February, we've had NSME Open House, Engineering Day, Discover CSUB and today is College: Making it Happen. All of those had resource fairs where a non-profit should be able to get a table.

Now, if you have a club on campus participating in Extra Life like we do, the club can usually participate for free. If it's just a local non-profit, there is likely a charge, although it may be reduced.

I'd say start with clubs first....video games club, anime club, etc. I did that at my university and its worked well. I also reached out to my local high school as well and got a few kids recruited. Start small with clubs before trying to tackle to whole university, once you have a base at your school it will be easier to recruit more people/hold events.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried recruiting at college events before? I've been out of school a few years but I always had classes that had guest speakers and rewarded extra credit for participating in various studies or events. Plus it always looks good on a resume to have community activites and clubs.

Just looking for some thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

John

The video gaming club at one of my colleges adopted Extra Life a couple of years ago, and they have so much fun with it they do it at Extra Life weekend and also in the spring. A couple of the organizers get community service hours for their time and effort, but the gamers have a hoot playing video and board games for 24 hours and they get a lot of pizza and chicken wings donated and totally pig out while they play. Besides their own membership, they recruit additional participants on campus.

Our guild has experimented with this.  So far, the "volunteer fairs" have not had a great response.  We maybe get 1-2 signups if we are lucky and the volumes are low.  We are thinking the better option is to connect with the gaming/anime/related groups and go to them directly.