Some clarification on how this works, exactly... - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
djotaku

Some clarification on how this works, exactly...

Hello Extra Lifers!

I have been hearing about Extra Life for a few years now when the Giant Bomb guys talk about their participation. Looked around on FAQs and I'm still a little confused on exactly how this works. I'll be doing my fundraising on a non-standard day because my sister-in-law's getting married on the national day. I'd like to create a team with (at the very least), my brothers. So according to the FAQ it looks like, as a team, we can add up all our hours to 25 hours and it can be over any number of pre-specified days. Is that right? But what happens if we end up playing for somewhere between 25 and 75 hours? (Basically, either we can't make it for the full 25 each or we power through 25 each) If we're each getting pledges per hour, what happens when get get to 25 or beyond, if it's possible?

Thanks for the info!

Hello Extra Lifers!

I have been hearing about Extra Life for a few years now when the Giant Bomb guys talk about their participation. Looked around on FAQs and I'm still a little confused on exactly how this works. I'll be doing my fundraising on a non-standard day because my sister-in-law's getting married on the national day. I'd like to create a team with (at the very least), my brothers. So according to the FAQ it looks like, as a team, we can add up all our hours to 25 hours and it can be over any number of pre-specified days. Is that right? But what happens if we end up playing for somewhere between 25 and 75 hours? (Basically, either we can't make it for the full 25 each or we power through 25 each) If we're each getting pledges per hour, what happens when get get to 25 or beyond, if it's possible?

Thanks for the info!

The Official Day is a great day to get hyped about playing and getting people interested in participating and donating. Though it doesn't matter when you actually play or host your event. I played 100 Games in 100 Days. That was well over 100 hours. That's how I decided to "Extra Life." You earn what you can, when you can all for the kids.

That's pretty awesome. I had no idea it was so flexible. So, I went to your page and clicked on donation. For the amounts, I have some questions.

1. Why is it fixed amounts and not per hour? Did you set that or is it always like that?

2. Did you pick the text by each dollar amount?

Thanks!

There really are no rules as to how you have to do your time or take your donations. The general suggestion is the 24 hours on the given day and asking for $1 per hour (which would be a $24 donation). BUT that isn't mandatory. The point is just to do your best and have fun. Whether you make it 5 hours or 75 and raise $10 or $1000, just do the best you can. Donations can be in any amount and can be a one time donation or can be monthly. If someone can only donate $1, that's $1 that your hospital didn't have before!

Hope this clears some stuff up. Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions!

There really are no rules as to how you have to do your time or take your donations. The general suggestion is the 24 hours on the given day and asking for $1 per hour (which would be a $24 donation). BUT that isn't mandatory. The point is just to do your best and have fun. Whether you make it 5 hours or 75 and raise $10 or $1000, just do the best you can. Donations can be in any amount and can be a one time donation or can be monthly. If someone can only donate $1, that's $1 that your hospital didn't have before!

Hope this clears some stuff up. Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions!

Awesome. Thanks for that info. By the way, I like both your EL and Twitch setups, especially how you explain your participation in EL within Twitch. You've given me some ideas on how to structure my donation reward tiers.

Tracking it by the hour is really tough. Let's say you're in a walk-a-thon for 20 miles. You get commitments for $3/mile, $5/mile and $10/mile from three different people. If you walk 17 miles, you then have to go back to those people with a total that is different for each one, and have them make their donation.

With Extra Life, you ask for a donation. They donate online with the understanding that you will play games in honor of the kids (time, location and games are up to you). You don't have to physically go back to everyone who pledged money to collect money. It's just a lot easier to manage.

That's pretty awesome. I had no idea it was so flexible. So, I went to your page and clicked on donation. For the amounts, I have some questions.

1. Why is it fixed amounts and not per hour? Did you set that or is it always like that?

2. Did you pick the text by each dollar amount?

Thanks!

Forgot to answer these:

1. Well I answered the part about per hour. You're welcome to ask people to donate a certain amount per hour and then tell them what the final amount is in the end but it's easier to just take a given amount regardless of the hours you make it for. The numbers there are set by EL, but someone can write in their own donation amount.

2. We don't get to pick the text by our donation amounts. You can, though, include in your profile things that you'll do with certain donation amounts. This works really well for people who stream. Things like do a funny dance or whatever for a certain amount, and then viewers can watch them do it.

There are so many possibilities to help raise money with Extra Life. My team and I are planning several events throughout the year to help raise money. This includes several streams but also events outside of gaming as well, such as a tabletop event or card game tournament. Take a look at our page as well as our Facebook to get some ideas if you'd like. Another way to help raise money is by asking others for donation incentives that you could use as a giveaway to your viewers. Some people may not be able to donate money but they could be talented in making something for you to use.

Playing games is only half the fun of Extra Life. The other half is spreading awareness and sharing stories to get more people involved! :D

The great thing about Extra Life is that there really is no "set-in-stone" way to do it! As long as the member puts the time in, and makes their best effort to raise money for kids, they've done a good job! I found that you can usually convince friends/family to donate $2 for the first hour, and then $1 for every following hour (for a total of $25). And if you're relatively good at streaming on Twitch and have a decent following, you can make a killing for Extra Life. I recently streamed and convinced a few viewers to donate whatever they could, and while the average donations fell between one-time donations of 2 to 4 dollars, when you have that many people watching, it adds up QUICK. One thing I found really helped is having a "recent donation" panel on your stream. People love seeing their name up there in lights, whether it be for the publicity of their own stream, or just to feel good about themselves.

The great thing about Extra Life is that there really is no "set-in-stone" way to do it! As long as the member puts the time in, and makes their best effort to raise money for kids, they've done a good job! I found that you can usually convince friends/family to donate $2 for the first hour, and then $1 for every following hour (for a total of $25). And if you're relatively good at streaming on Twitch and have a decent following, you can make a killing for Extra Life. I recently streamed and convinced a few viewers to donate whatever they could, and while the average donations fell between one-time donations of 2 to 4 dollars, when you have that many people watching, it adds up QUICK. One thing I found really helped is having a "recent donation" panel on your stream. People love seeing their name up there in lights, whether it be for the publicity of their own stream, or just to feel good about themselves.

Yes, I've been looking into some of the programs out there for pulling Extra Life donations. But also, aren't they supposed to open up the API this year? Maybe it'll be even easier to plug in. I'm pretty brand new to Twitch, unfortunately, but since I'm going all year long, perhaps I'll be able to build up a following. Plus since my overlays mention the EL, I'm also planning on pulling them onto Youtube and hopefully getting some more donations that way.