Board and Dice Extra-Life Gamers? - Board & Dice Games - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HYDFDEMON

Board and Dice Extra-Life Gamers?

Hello all!

Just curious if anyone else out there is doing a marathon gaming session for your local hospital of choice in the realm of board games?

I will be doing this with a relatively new group this year (first time participating) and was curious of the strategy for getting donations people may have been successful with in the past.

Hello all!

Just curious if anyone else out there is doing a marathon gaming session for your local hospital of choice in the realm of board games?

I will be doing this with a relatively new group this year (first time participating) and was curious of the strategy for getting donations people may have been successful with in the past.

There has been talk in my circle of friends about a livestreamed game of Twilight Imperium. We were also toying around with t he idea of having people who donate a large amount affect one persons turn. We were also thinking about playing in teams, one person handles all diplomacy and the other handles all military and map movement. The diplomats and the military people take their turns at the same time so while one group is negotiating the other is moving ships around.

There has been talk in my circle of friends about a livestreamed game of Twilight Imperium. We were also toying around with t he idea of having people who donate a large amount affect one persons turn. We were also thinking about playing in teams, one person handles all diplomacy and the other handles all military and map movement. The diplomats and the military people take their turns at the same time so while one group is negotiating the other is moving ships around.

Ohh, messing with a person's turn could be a great way to get more money for Charity! As long as you don't mind, I might run with this idea.

Our team decided to run board games and table top games last year as a way to get more people involved. I have some really talented friends that I had asked to make modules for games like Iron Kingdoms and Pathfinder. It was a great way to break up the time during the marathon. We were able to get more supporters come hangout with us and play along.

In addition we had a stack of board games including Munchkin, Smash Up, Castle Panic, Zombies!!!, Epidemic and others that I'm forgetting.

Ohh, messing with a person's turn could be a great way to get more money for Charity! As long as you don't mind, I might run with this idea.

That actually does sound like a fun idea lol

Hello all!

Last year we had both, video games and tabletop, and it worked well. Probably an even number of people for both.

THIS YEAR, I got smart and recruited the biggest comic book / tabletop store in the area to run the tabletop games and tournaments for us.

1. I don't have to worry about it this year and

2. They invite people on their email list that I have no access to

3. Win Win

Definitely doing board games! Here's my play list from last year and I hope to get even more in this year. I actually want to do one game an hour, but unfortunately some of the games I have last longer than that...

[TABLE=width: 241]

[TR]

[TD]Space Alert (13 times!)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7 Wonders[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Battle Line[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dixit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Elk Fest[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fealty[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hanabi[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lost Cities[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Morels[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Neuroshima Hex![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pixel Tactics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Qin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Razzia![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Taj Mahal[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Definitely doing board games! Here's my play list from last year and I hope to get even more in this year. I actually want to do one game an hour, but unfortunately some of the games I have last longer than that...

[TABLE=width: 241]

[TR]

[TD]Space Alert (13 times!)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7 Wonders[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Battle Line[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dixit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Elk Fest[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fealty[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hanabi[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lost Cities[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Morels[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Neuroshima Hex![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pixel Tactics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Qin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Razzia![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Taj Mahal[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Which is your favorite game to play? I've heard a lot of good things about 7 Wonders.

From that list, Space Alert is definitely my favorite game. The real time decisions and chaos/teamwork is just pure agony/bliss :-D

Here's my BGG list of favorite games (you can sort by the "Your Rating" column): http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/arod324?rated=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

I general, I love medium to medium heavy euro games, with Vlaada Chvatil as my favorite game designer, with Feld and Knizia being not too far behind.

Which is your favorite game to play? I've heard a lot of good things about 7 Wonders.

All of my five years with Extra Life have been board game parties. Last year I had roughly 40 people attend. We play:

Axis and Allies Global 1941

Marvel Legendary (all expansions)

Lords of Waterdeep

Pandemic

Quarriors

Shadows over Camelot

7 Wonders

Cards Against Humanity

Relic

Guess Who

Munchkins

Betrayal at House on the Hill

I'm sure there were others, but these are the ones that stand out. I think our best feature is our "Cheat for a Cure" program, where party goers can donate to cheat at a game they are playing. We had two judges that determined the cost of cheats on a case by case basis. The bigger the cheat, the bigger the donation required. Everyone enjoyed it, and it often ended in escalating donations between opponents.

One game to look at is Seasons, it is a blast to play and the art is amazing.

Edited by Sapience
Adjusted Extra Life in title

Great list of games!

We took a break from the PC Gaming and played board games around the 6:00pm hour. It worked out really well. We played some Get Bit!, Ticket to Ride, and The Great Dalmuti.

We love 7 Wonders. It is a little tricky to get the rules down, but lots of fun to play, and different ways to win.

We have been playing Euphoria lately. Makes 7 Wonders look like kids play.

Oh...that's right...We got a head start on our 25 hours last year by starting Friday night from 6-10 playing Pastiche. I LOVE that game.

I think our best feature is our "Cheat for a Cure" program, where party goers can donate to cheat at a game they are playing. We had two judges that determined the cost of cheats on a case by case basis. The bigger the cheat, the bigger the donation required. Everyone enjoyed it, and it often ended in escalating donations between opponents.

^This. Brilliant. I WILL be stealing this for the Battlestar Galactica Session I am doing this year. :D

I got my FLGS to do a 24-hour marathon in the play area. We are hoping to live stream, and only play long games.

Twilight Imperium

Eclipse

Arkham Horror

Did some test footage this afternoon to see how a game looked on Twitch. I setup HeroQuest.

You can see the setup and test footage here: http://www.twitch.tv/futiles/b/573652796

Not actual gameplay, yet, but a fully setup board with doors, furniture and minis.

How did this go by the way? I did some board games on my stream as well. We had one camera and I was torn between focussing on the board and the group as a whole. We played Battlestar Galactica. So in the end I went with the group as a whole becuase, in my opinion, with a game like that the player interaction is much more important than whats happening on the board. This year I am hoping to have a multi camera operation to have the best of both worlds.

Did anyone else have success with board/card games on their stream?

I personally have been looking for a group for a D&D 3.5 campaign for years now. Unfortunately, unless you know the right people, it's seemingly rare as can be.

If anyone has an inside loop on a group I could join, I am all ears.

I did Catan on the Extra Life channels couple months back, using the board game simulator on PC. Went very well! I'll need to invest in a second webcam to properly do a tabletop stream next time though.

• Like 1

I run an extra life event separate from my guild... but my event is mostly tabletop games.   Board Games, RPGs, Card Games.... all the awesomeness.