Boardgame Suggestions - Board & Dice Games - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ragnatz

Boardgame Suggestions

I have a board gaming group at work and we frequently get new games and try them out. I figured we could make up a list of fun games (both for Streaming and just for playing). Feel free to add to the list.

Hanabi (2-5 players, 0:30 - 1:00) - A cooperative game where everyone is working together to create sets of 1-5 for five different colors. The sets have to be played in numerical order. But the catch? You cannot look at your own cards. You have to give out hints to the other players while they are giving you hints. It is pretty wild for such a quick game.

X-COM (1-4 players, 1:00 - 2:00+) - Another cooperative game that we just started playing. Really does a great job at giving you the feel of the X-COM video game without the tactical combat. Each round is split into a Timed Phase and Resolution Phase, and man, the Timed Phase gets super intense. Really enjoying it.

Tragedy Looper (2-4 players, 1:00 - 2:00) - A 1 vs up to 3 player game that combines Clue and Groundhog Day. One player is the Mastermind, following a scenario that results in tragedy. The remaining players are time travelers who are trying to stop the tragedy from happening. The game is really fun to play, and can be really entertaining to watch as well. In a race against time (there are a limited number of loops), can the time travelers figure out all the causations and stop the tragedies from happening? The game comes with 10 scenarios but it also has easy-to-follow rules to make your own.

Wow, I could suggest many boardgames. But, I will try to keep it short.

I see you like co-op games. As far as longer games (Great for eating up hours during the big day) I recommend Battlestar Galactica (2-6 players depending on expansions) and Dead of Winter (2-5 players). The first game could easily eat up 3-5 hours of your day, but worth it to me. Both have a betrayer component, where the game is Co-op with one or more players secretly working against the group.

For more social games I would recommend Cards against humanity (if you haven't heard of this game, its apples to apples with adult content) and werewolf. Both games I have played with a variety of gaming groups, all have enjoyed it, even the less geeky ones (including my mother in law!).

Side note: VERY jealous you have a copy of X-com, that is definitely next on my gaming list to buy! Also, I tried tragedy looper at Gencon, very complicated. Difficult to wrap my head around. But once you get the hang of it, it looked like it would be fun!

Shadow Hunters is a definite favorite of mine and always a hit.