Question

Hello!

We have quite a few local businesses that are donating food, prizes (dice, games, etc), and other treats for our team. How have you handled in-kind donations in the past? Any tips on how to help these vendors get the tax credits they deserve?

Let me know!

NyxtheGnome

2 answers to this question

I don't think there is really anything you can/need to do from your end, unless it is of pretty high value.  The material good doners will generally just write it off as "advertising costs".  I always made incentives for those types of doners, by promising their logo on event flyers/event webpages/ or whatever. 

You can read  official IRS info here: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/contributors/tax-information-on-donated-property

Yes. Also be sure to as much as possible relate/associate those in-kind donations with your gaming group only. Keeping as separated as possible if not entirely from Extra Life in any communications. Printed, verbal, or otherwise.

Ultimately unless your operating your own 501©(3), in which case as per IRS guidelines you could issue a donations tax receipt, its best/safest to have them donate teh cash monies to your team. Where Extra Life proper issues one by email each time anyone gets a donation to their donations page.

o/ ;)

Sent from my Blackphone 2 using Tapatalk