SpaceGhost2K

Extra Life on the Miracle Mall

They had an Extra Life store, with EL merch in it, some years ago. Not sure why that was discontinued. The continued growth of the movement would seem to indicate that EL merch would probably sell quite well.

18 hours ago, SpaceGhost2K said:

https://miraclemall.childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org/Miracle_Mall

CMN has an online store. They have Dance Marathon branded items but nothing from Extra Life. Is there a reason why? I mean I'd wear an EL hoodie or carry an EL notebook.

17 hours ago, anTsocialGamer said:

They had an Extra Life store, with EL merch in it, some years ago. Not sure why that was discontinued. The continued growth of the movement would seem to indicate that EL merch would probably sell quite well.

Great questions you two!

We did have Extra Life merchandise on the Miracle Mall for quite a while after years of folks asking for it, and believe it or not, it didn't sell. 

The overall cost of having product on hand, various sizing, etc,  is well, costly. We are looking at a sustainable, cost efficient solution to this. Thanks for the feedback and ideas too! 

I'm sure a sustainable, cost effective solution would benefit the Miracle Mall, as a whole. Perhaps another hurdle to overcome is the effective marketing of EL merchandise within the Miracle Mall.

As you are definitely well aware, the communication channels to EL participants and supporters are widespread and disparate. The focus of Dance Marathon on student organizations makes it much easier to reach those stakeholders. Gamers/EL participants generally don't have as simple communications channels; many people know about Extra Life through big online communities (Rooster Teeth, Giant Bomb, etc), or friends and family, and may not interact with the movement through any other official or unofficial channels. This would make it cumbersome to reach out to the target audience wherever they may engage the Extra Life brand. 

The size of the EL community has also grown nearly exponential over the last several years.  What if they were to do a trial run with a limited amount of merch and when it's gone it's gone, to "test the waters" again and see if there is enough interest.

• Like 1

Thats interesting about EL merch having been on the Miracle Mall.  I consider myself fairly and reasonably well connected to the EL movement.  First time I'd heard about it/seen it was at ELU2015 or so.  Makes me question what I might be missing.  ;~) But also I wonder what specific "EL Themed" items were for sale?

Most of the things I've seen in person and online are mostly quick, small, temporary stuff.  Not necessarily things that you would actually use in day to day life.  Quick, happy, fun gimmies that amount to a fun little gifty thing you get for a donation that is its cost.  And it ends up in a drawer, thrown away, or recycled.  One item that comes to mind is a 1 or 2GB CMN flash drive.  The physical construction was decent but the data capacity size is not really something tenable in day to day usage terms.  The rest being coasters, basic t-shirts, and other cutesy happy fun plastic things.

My apologies for maybe not characterizing it the best way.  It seemed that most/all of the stuff there wasn't something I'd actual use/make part of may day to day life.  And bought most of it for "in the moment/well intended" reasons.  When I get home its straight to the drawer if I even took it out of the bag to begin with.  Maybe I'm missing the point of the purpose of the things sold in the Miracle Mall.

I'd be curious to know what all "EL Themed" things were for sale then.  And if it could be revisited maybe have a much more robust EL community input to determine what should/could be sold.  Then the resultant set of items would presumably be a vetted in a way to be a lot more relevant and day to day useful.  So that everyone around you in this day to day would eventually notice, see, and ask!  ;0 ;~)

FWIW.  o/  ;)

• Like 1