Jump to content
  • 0
Birdperson

Couple Quick Questions

Question

Hello everyone! I am very new here as I had just found out about this amazing program yesterday through a Reddit post regarding the Nov 4th event :D

 

So first things first, I am super excited to get started but I have a couple quick questions before I begin.

 

1: So I joined a team who is participating in the 24 hour stream-a-thon on Nov 4th. I will likely stream for a potion of that day to support that team. However, I would like to start my own team of local players in my area who are all ready to get their stream on (once I fine tune these "issues") So with that being said, is there any way to be apart of more than 1 team?

 

2: I realized I might have made a mistake when selecting the Hospital I would like to support. Is there any way I am able to change it over to another hospital so me and my to-be team can go visit?

 

3: What is the difference between a Team and a Guild? How many people can I get on my team before I should consider requesting to become a Guild?

 

4: Is there anyway to track the number of hours my team members volunteered their time to raise funds? (Most likely for awards)

 

I think that is everything I was needing answered before I get things rolling. Hopefully I can smooth out these slightly rough edges before this weekend :D I plan on doing at least a solo 24 hour charity stream this weekend to test all the add-ins to my Twitch channel so I can help my teammates set up their own.

 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, thank you again for your time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 hours ago, Birdperson said:

Hello everyone! I am very new here as I had just found out about this amazing program yesterday through a Reddit post regarding the Nov 4th event :D

 

So first things first, I am super excited to get started but I have a couple quick questions before I begin.

 

1: So I joined a team who is participating in the 24 hour stream-a-thon on Nov 4th. I will likely stream for a potion of that day to support that team. However, I would like to start my own team of local players in my area who are all ready to get their stream on (once I fine tune these "issues") So with that being said, is there any way to be apart of more than 1 team?

 

2: I realized I might have made a mistake when selecting the Hospital I would like to support. Is there any way I am able to change it over to another hospital so me and my to-be team can go visit?

 

3: What is the difference between a Team and a Guild? How many people can I get on my team before I should consider requesting to become a Guild?

 

4: Is there anyway to track the number of hours my team members volunteered their time to raise funds? (Most likely for awards)

 

I think that is everything I was needing answered before I get things rolling. Hopefully I can smooth out these slightly rough edges before this weekend :D I plan on doing at least a solo 24 hour charity stream this weekend to test all the add-ins to my Twitch channel so I can help my teammates set up their own.

 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, thank you again for your time!

 

I can help! I've been participating in Extra Life since 2011, so allow me to welcome you to the Extra Life family! :)

 

1. Currently you can only be part of one team at a time. You can change your team fairly easily if you're not a team captain, but if you do that, I believe all your collected donations so far will go with you to your new team. There is a superteam option that is currently being tested on a limited basis, but It's not widely available - and frankly I'm really not sure if they plan on releasing it into the wild in the future for everyone to use.

 

2. You can email support at support@extra-life.org and they can help you get set up with the right hospital.

 

3. Teams are simply  players who raise money and/or together under the same team captain - Some captains are more involved than others, and teams can be loose collectives of strangers, or a group of friends who know one another - they do not even have to be playing for the same hospital. Teams are fairly arbitrary, but still nice to join for the camaraderie.

 

Guilds, on the other hand, are for those who want to do more than just play games for kids. Guilds are officially sanctioned volunteer outreach programs based in cities where there are CMN hospitals, and are supported in part by those hospitals. Consisting of a board of volunteer executives including a President, Vice President, and Secretary, and also a liaison (usually a CMN program coordinator) who works at that local hospital, Guilds are less of a fundraising body, and more specialized towards spreading the word at local events. For the most part, Guilds get in touch with local conventions to secure space where they can set up a table and tell people about Extra Life, answer any questions, and help them get signed up if they're interested. Guilds also often get together for social activities as well - it's a great way to meet other gamers in your area. You can go to https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1111 to see if there's a guild in your city.

 

4. The gaming itself is generally honor system, so there's no need to track hours for the purpose of Extra Life itself. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't track hours if you'd like, but there are no tools through Extra Life itself to assist with this. I might recommend a shared Google document or spreadsheet where you and your friends can track your own hours if you'd like to do that. Again, it's all honor system anyway.

 

Hope I was able to help! I don't stream myself, but I know that there are lots of great resources here on the forums here for people that do. If you ever need any help, I'd recommend perusing the Live Streaming Tips & Tricks discussion area at http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/9-live-streaming-tips-tricks/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, K8Morosky said:

 

I can help! I've been participating in Extra Life since 2011, so allow me to welcome you to the Extra Life family! :)

 

1. Currently you can only be part of one team at a time. You can change your team fairly easily if you're not a team captain, but if you do that, I believe all your collected donations so far will go with you to your new team. There is a superteam option that is currently being tested on a limited basis, but It's not widely available - and frankly I'm really not sure if they plan on releasing it into the wild in the future for everyone to use.

 

2. You can email support at support@extra-life.org and they can help you get set up with the right hospital.

 

3. Teams are simply  players who raise money and/or together under the same team captain - Some captains are more involved than others, and teams can be loose collectives of strangers, or a group of friends who know one another - they do not even have to be playing for the same hospital. Teams are fairly arbitrary, but still nice to join for the camaraderie.

 

Guilds, on the other hand, are for those who want to do more than just play games for kids. Guilds are officially sanctioned volunteer outreach programs based in cities where there are CMN hospitals, and are supported in part by those hospitals. Consisting of a board of volunteer executives including a President, Vice President, and Secretary, and also a liaison (usually a CMN program coordinator) who works at that local hospital, Guilds are less of a fundraising body, and more specialized towards spreading the word at local events. For the most part, Guilds get in touch with local conventions to secure space where they can set up a table and tell people about Extra Life, answer any questions, and help them get signed up if they're interested. Guilds also often get together for social activities as well - it's a great way to meet other gamers in your area. You can go to https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1111 to see if there's a guild in your city.

 

4. The gaming itself is generally honor system, so there's no need to track hours for the purpose of Extra Life itself. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't track hours if you'd like, but there are no tools through Extra Life itself to assist with this. I might recommend a shared Google document or spreadsheet where you and your friends can track your own hours if you'd like to do that. Again, it's all honor system anyway.

 

Hope I was able to help! I don't stream myself, but I know that there are lots of great resources here on the forums here for people that do. If you ever need any help, I'd recommend perusing the Live Streaming Tips & Tricks discussion area at http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/9-live-streaming-tips-tricks/

 Would I need to email support@extra-life.org in order to change a team name as well? (Might have added an extra letter to a word haha)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 hours ago, Birdperson said:

 Would I need to email support@extra-life.org in order to change a team name as well? (Might have added an extra letter to a word haha)

 

Nope! If you're the team Captain, you can go to the Team Page and click the pencil icon next to the team name to edit it. 

 

:) Welcome aboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...