LonestarF1

Get CHOP National Game Day Survival Kits - Let Us Know How You're Spending Game Day!

The fine folks at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia want to hear your plans for National Game Day this year. I know, I know, I’ve already asked you this before, but what if I told you that they’re going to send you a special 24-Hour Marathon “Survival Kit” for telling us how you plan on spending your marathon.

We'll be reading what you've got going on and sending out kits to the first 20 CHOP participants!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For the fifth year in a row, and the second with a full team, we're going to expand our game selection - more games of all sorts - add more teammates, do some video promos for our members and look into adding some outdoor games to keep us moving throughout the marathon :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's our second year supporting CHOP via Extra-Life, and we're hoping to make it the best year yet! Last year saw us stick to video games for the day, but this year we hope to go old-school for a few hours and break out the board games. It was also our first time streaming the whole day last year, and we've received some constructive feedback on how to make the streaming experience better for our followers. We're only a team of two at the moment, but we expect to have a few guest appearances throughout the 24 hours this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on the forums. I should hang out here more often, eh?

So, how am I going to spend my game day? Well, I'll probably wake up bright and early around 5am and go for a mile or so run to get energized for the day. I'll head home, eat some breakfast and get my battlestation setup with necessities like a big old gallon jug of water, a bunch of bananas and apples and, of course, my set of gold & silver medals to hang from my desk cabinet door. Then, it's time to get gaming around 8am. I'll boot up the old PS2 and start diving into whatever game I'm working my way through at the time. I'm trying to beat 'em all, so this is a great opportunity to crush a couple of 'em! I'll likely get up, stretch and have a short walk around the basement for about 5 minutes each hour to keep the blood flowing and the stiffness away.

Surely, around the 2nd 2am, I'll probably have some issues keeping the heaviness out of my eyes, so I might just have to bust out Karaoke Revolution and sing my tiredness away (badly, I might add). I'll keep digging for those next 6 hours and finally emerge from my cave at 8am on Sunday, take a nice shower, hop in the car and head over to the in-laws to greet my wife & kids after the day of gaming is done.

Looking forward to completing another game day and raising more dollars #FTK.

Good luck, everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Once again our rowdy group of gamers (about 15 of us) will get together for 24+ hours of gaming!
(Friday night 9:00pm to Saturday 9:00pm... or Friday Midnight to Saturday Midnight....OR Friday 9:00pm to Saturday Midnight!  27 hours of gaming!)

Once again we will begin with a team "game show" composed of trivia and various physical challenges.  A Videogame tournament will be played throughout the day with a variety of short game challenges (fastest time through level 1 of Sonic the Hedgehog...most points in Super Mario Bros level 1...quickest touchdown in NFL game...etc).  A Stones course (bocce ball on steroids) will be set up outside.  TONS of boardgames!!!!  Blood Rage, Roll Player, Captain Sonar, Pillars of the Earth, and sooooooo many more!!!!!!

Homemade food of meatballs, chili, burgers, roasted veggies, etc will be combined with a plethora of store bought snacks.  Many will use caffeine to stay awake, but I just prefer the high energy level of everyone sitting around the table and gaming (plus I don't drink caffeine so, there is that). 

I'm sure that when midnight comes on saturday most will go home, but a few of us addicts will stay and play until probably 2 or 3am giving us friday 9pm to sunday 3am for a full 30 hours of straight gaming!!!!!!  and then we crash and sleep until sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the weekend groggely resting and getting ready for work on monday.  but man oh man...what a good weekend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is my 2nd year participating and this year I'll have a handful of friends joining in to help. We're planning on going from Saturday morning through Sunday morning, there's a good mix of video games on deck but I'm tempted to follow with some of the other posters here and mix in some board games and some physical games to keep from getting too stiff (though I'm not sure what the best way to get those games on Twitch would be).

I haven't thought it through enough to have food planned, but juggling hearthstone and cooking (or more likely, hearthstone and online delivery menus) is probably the way to go.

Our Tentative Game List

• Playerunknown's: Battlegrounds
  • Overwatch
  • Super Smash Brothers: Melee
  • Tekken 7
  • Street Fighter V
  • Civilization VI
  • Hearthstone
  • Dota 2
  • Party games (Speedrunners, Move or Die, etc.)
  • Board games (Codenames, Dominion, Avalon)
  • Your suggestions! (Always looking for more co-op/survival games)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This'll be our sixth year gaming for CHOP. Right now I've taken off the whole week including the weekend of the 25 hour event just to prep everything. Test streams all week to work on the bugs and try to prevent any repeat disasters. Our fourth year doing this as we went live at 10am about 85-90% of our equipment somehow got jolted and fried. Thankfully the streaming pc was safe and the show limped on while we made an emergency run to Best Buy. So yeah, testing all week to prevent that again.

The night of one last stream with the whole crew to shake things down then it's off to bed and Jesus take the wheel at 10am. Well have a full compliment of caffeinated beverages and snacks to tide us through the day. Also we've come to the realization that we're getting old so now we have power nap times to keep everyone perky through the day. We can't wait to go at it for the sixth year in a row and really hope to smash our donation total from last year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3rd year here, still flying solo for the most part. Should have some friends popping in here and there. Last year, the highlight was getting a hug from a coworker of mine when I beat a boss in the Master System version of Shinobi. I've never seen him so happy. :D

Going to stay family-friendly as in years past, but there might be some games like Contra or Street Fighter II thrown into the mix. Probably lots of NES and SNES overall just because those are my jams. I will have my 4 lav mics all prepped and ready as people rotate in and out, just gotta test them all again. Invested in a new mixer for this year, too - should make things a lot easier.

There's a small chance Ill be participating in a 3-way Super Mario Sunshine race (most shines in 90 minutes). I really hope that happens! And I might do some dumb Kerbal Space Program stuff again.

I'm also doing two 12-hour sessions with 15 minute breaks at the tail end of each 2 hour block. Good for the ol' bathroom and food breaks, plus actually moving around is kind of important.

I'll kick it all off with a good breakfast on Saturday before the 10am start time, then things will just unravel (in a good way) from that point on. Should be fun times for a good cause. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looks like a lot of people are hitting up the video games with maybe an off-shoot of a tabletop game here and there.
We are the opposite-- TONS of boardgames with some video games in between.  If you think boardgames are things like "sorry" "monopoly" and "Risk"....well, that is like saying "video games are things like Pong and Pacman, right?"  Boardgames have evolved just as much and I highly recommend checking them out.  The social interaction and thought needed to play helps keep us awake and energized.  Try some easier games like  Splendor, Captain Sonar (requires 8 people), Pandemic, Lords of Waterdeep, Codenames, and The Resistance (requires 5+ people).

Also, to help stay awake--
1.  Make sure to keep the blinds open and let in lots of daylight when you can.

2.  Eat real meals, not just candy

3.  Game with people.  Try and get people to join up and game in the same room.  If you can't find other participants, invite people over to game during the day.

4.  Get outside and/or open the windows.  Outside air helps a lot and there are plenty of games that can be played outside.

5.  Don't forget to brush your teeth and use deodorant!  Especially if you are having people game with you or come over to visit...they won't want to stay long if you stink.

Good luck everyone, and happy gaming!

• Thanks 2

Helloooo my fellow CHoP friends and supporters! This will be my second year gaming for CHoP and my guild's 3rd year participating in the Extra-Life charity! 

Our MC WoW Guild team is comprised of an arsenal of 40-80 talented World of Warcraft players that will be dabbling in everything from player versus player battlegrounds, to old school raids, to achievement runs, breaking them up (tentatively) into 6 - 4 hour events. We may even breakout into guild Karaoke for an hour! ( you may want to cover your ears for this part but i guarantee you will be entertained)! Hey we may even take requests if we are feeling froggy ?

Really the possibilities are limitless and there will never be a dull moment with our group!

We will be running all events using our Discord voice chat and will be streaming our games on Twitch! We encourage all of you to stop by and say hi! Sing with us, play with us, hang out with us! We will have more information on our website as the date gets closer. Come check us out: www.maturecontent.net. Just tell 'em Rosie sent ya!

Last year was such a blast and we raised over $3,000 for CMN and we are looking to blow that number out of the water this year!

We are looking forward to another successful and amazingly fun-filled gaming session this year!

Playing games to save kids...doesn't get much better than that, does it?! 

Good luck to all my fellow gamers out there! You all ROCK! ??

IMG_1622.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to use game day to take a break from my nursing school studies and play some games like that I haven't gotten a chance to, since all the studying. Last year's game day was before an exam, so there was no way I could take that day off from studying. I will also be supporting my friends who will probably be setting up a base for their game day streams. It's so nice to be able to do something good with something fun! 

• Thanks 2

Hey all, this is going to be my 9th game day, and my team's 8th (I think). 

Due to other life commitments, we won't be holding our game day until December 16th and 17th. But on that day, 10 to 15 people will descend on my home, to come hang out, play games and stay awake. The basement and first floor are dedicated to having places setups for people to play at, either individually or as a group and the second floor is for when people want to go pass out/take a break. 

My team is made up of my cohost and friends from the GameEnthus podcast. So my buddy will be pushing for us to play 24 hours of indie local coop games, while I try to play through the triple A games, to support game of the year discussions. 

So I will everyone luck this year and keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

This is my 5th year participating in the marathon. The first year, I joined with only 1 month left and still raised $400.

For the past 3 years for 24 hrs, my house has an open door policy. On FB, I post that any friends and family that wants to stop by and play games may feel free to do so. We have usually between 15-25 people that stop in throughout the day and play with us. This year, we will have 1 TV that will be dedicated to streaming the event and have a specific game schedule to be played on there. We will setup another 3 TVs with various consoles with plenty of games to be played. 

Previous games that have been big hits: Rock Band (every year multi hour sessions), Call of Duty (Not as much last 2 years), Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Replaced CoD), Cards Against Humanity (Once the kids fall asleep).

• Thanks 2

Loving the responses, folks! I'm going to be reaching out to you shortly so you can give our CHOP representative your information. We'll be cutting off this offer soon, so make sure to take advantage if you haven't already!

• Thanks 1

This will be my 8th year taking part in Extra Life. For the first time ever,  I will be coordinating a two day event at the offices of TargetX in Conshohocken, PA. Staff, family and friends will come together for the event and we will be livestreaming our efforts on twitch.tv/pindaddy !

We have multiple game stations,  including NES and SNES Classic tables, a  TV and instruments dedicated to Rock Band 4/Rivals, The Spotlight station, which will include multiplayer games like the JackBox Party Pack, Rocket League, Fortnite, OverCooked, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and more!

We will be attempting to live stream the full event from 6am EST - 6pm EST Both Saturday and Sunday November 4 and 5th!

• Thanks 1

My "wife" and I will be hosting our event for our fourth year, third in succession.  This year we look to be rounding out about 30 people at the house, and will more than likely have more than that.  We're going hard with Retro games, but are encouraging folks to still bring their laptops and desktops to play online games.  We'll have our normal three rooms live streaming, the Nerd Cave, the Star Wars room, and turning the upstairs boardgame room into the retro room this year.

We've planned our meals for everyone, beverages, plenty of k-cups for people to make coffee, plenty of food.  Snacks and what not, we've got the nap dens about half setup, as I tend to request people DO NOT game for the full 25 hours.  (we split up nap times).  I've read too many articles of people passing away during long gaming events and it makes us nervous.

We've made our run to 5-Below for our blind auctions and raffle prizes as well this year I'll be auctioning off some Retro Pi (sans the games) systems to our guests.

We'll doing our 50/50 tournaments as well.  Last year the winner split the money with the second runner up and if I remember correctly both donated back to the event.

• Thanks 1

Hello there! I'm Pengi, I'm part of the group Legends of the Interwebs based in South Jersey. Here's our Extralife link: https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=265384 We have a CHOP near us so we choose to donate all of our proceeds to them this year as well. This will be the second time I'll be doing this with my group of friends; the first year we helped another team called 2+ Comedy raise up to over 1500 bucks. And this time we wanted to do our own thing in the same place we did last year, at the Northfield Library. I'm the main chef and Im more prepared this year to make sure my team gets healthier meals then just chips and soda. Otherwise we bring in many tvs and all types of game systems to the library on the side so people outside the team and come over and play some games as well. We'll also have raffles for those who attend!

How we are doing it this year is to have time blocks for the team members to do their thing. 2 hr, 6hr,etc so we can have some take naps and whatnot.

Some games we are planning to play are:

Warframe

Overwatch

Retro Games

Maybe baordgames?

LOTS of Party games

ETC

• Thanks 1

What's Up Gang? This will be my first year participating in Extra Life! - Philadelphia born,raised, and still residing!

As far as game day plans, I'm ready to sit back and get my game on. Was going to break it up into two 12.5 hour sessions but made it a fund raiser goal to go the whole 25 hours straight if I reach my goal.

As far as games go, I created a poll for all who donated to vote on what I play, I have a decent backlog of games I've been meaning to play:

• Fallout 4
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Jotun: Valhalla Edition
  • Gone Home
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  • Battlefield One
  • For Honor

Just to name a few!

• Thanks 1

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your responses, it was a pleasure hearing how you are going to spend your event! We'd still love to hear from everyone, but this here is the cutoff for the survival kits. They need time to ship, after all!

Thanks,

Chris