djotaku

A Suggestion for the EL Campaigns 2018

I would like to propose the idea of Stretch Goals. Perhaps this is not the best term, but it doesn't matter what it's called.

Problem: An Extra Life participant has reached his or her fundraising goal. This reduces incentive for others to donate. The goal has been met, there's nothing left to do.

Current Solution: Raise the Goal.

Why this isn't satisfactory: There's a celebratory aspect to reaching a goal - both for the participant and the donors. Something great about reaching it and about finishing having reached it. Raising the goal removes this by literally moving the goalposts.

Proposed solution: Stretch Goals (or whatever name makes sense). The participant can activate a second stretch goal to reach (and/or a third, fourth, fifth, etc) after reaching the first. This maintains the celebration of the first goal reached while saying, "Hey guys, we did that! Can we do one better?:" And allow for a second celebration if the second goal is reached while still preserving the celebration of the first one. BONUS: It also makes it easy for the participant to link actions with stretch goals: I'll shave my head, dye my hair, grow a mustache, whatever.... if we reach this stretch goal.

• Like 2

I agree.  I'd love to be able to layer my goals on my donation page.  Some donors can be very visual and if they see your bar is full they will think they don't need to donate...and vice versa.  I raised my goal to 10k after ELU and I'm finding it is not actually helping me reach my goal.  People think it's unattainable and so they don't donate.  Plus, it eliminates how freaking cool it was that I blew through my goal thanks to ELU.

@herobyclicking, this is a great idea! Can we add it to the list?

"Proposed solution: Stretch Goals (or whatever name makes sense). The participant can activate a second stretch goal to reach (and/or a third, fourth, fifth, etc) after reaching the first. This maintains the celebration of the first goal reached while saying, "Hey guys, we did that! Can we do one better?:" And allow for a second celebration if the second goal is reached while still preserving the celebration of the first one. BONUS: It also makes it easy for the participant to link actions with stretch goals: I'll shave my head, dye my hair, grow a mustache, whatever.... if we reach this stretch goal."

• Like 1

Just now, allthewayj said:

@herobyclicking, this is a great idea! Can we add it to the list?

"Proposed solution: Stretch Goals (or whatever name makes sense). The participant can activate a second stretch goal to reach (and/or a third, fourth, fifth, etc) after reaching the first. This maintains the celebration of the first goal reached while saying, "Hey guys, we did that! Can we do one better?:" And allow for a second celebration if the second goal is reached while still preserving the celebration of the first one. BONUS: It also makes it easy for the participant to link actions with stretch goals: I'll shave my head, dye my hair, grow a mustache, whatever.... if we reach this stretch goal."

Duly noted! Thanks @allthewayj and @djotaku!

• Like 1