Gaming News:New Overwatch Short Delves into Mei's Backstory - Announcements - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Gardner

Gaming News:New Overwatch Short Delves into Mei's Backstory

MeiOW1-970.jpg

Blizzard has released a cool new short film focusing on everyone's favorite ice-slinger, Mei. The short, titled "Rise and Shine," tells the story of how Mei went from super scientist to Overwatch's resident freezer following a cryogenic malfunction. A lot can change in nine years. 

As always, this has us wondering why Blizzard doesn't just animate their own feature film. They are so good at making these extended animations. "Rise and Shine" runs the full gamut of emotions, at times sweet and adorable, at others sad and melancholy. Mei's journey isn't so much one of danger, although that certainly comes up. The majority of the short deals with Mei overcoming the challenges of adapting to a new and hostile environment. 

View full article

I'm not too familiar with Overwatch, so when I stumbled upon this recently, I thought at first that it was a concept trailer for a new video game with a Pixar-like aesthetic and atmosphere. Which would be a crazy but interesting premise for a video game!

3 hours ago, Emily Palmieri said:

I'm not too familiar with Overwatch, so when I stumbled upon this recently, I thought at first that it was a concept trailer for a new video game with a Pixar-like aesthetic and atmosphere. Which would be a crazy but interesting premise for a video game!

I would love if Overwatch branched out into spin-off games that deal with each character's backstory! If anyone could pull that off, it would be the team at Blizzard. 

• Like 1