Con Season 2017: Baltimore/DC Recruiting Events Megathread - Baltimore, MD - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content

CON SEASON 2017 HAS BEGUN! 

(ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧

A few important changes in the way I'll be organizing events this year:

1. I'm trying to set up DC Metro Area events this year, and we'll be bringing along any Children's fundraisers who would like to volunteer but can't due to the lack of a functional Extra Life DC Guild.
  2. I'm going to try to contain general discussion and questions about events to their event pages, which will make things easier for everyone to follow.
  3. RSVPing on events will be more important than last year because we have an influx of new volunteers and badges will be limited.

I will be updating this thread throughout the 2017 fundraising season.  For general information about upcoming events, this is your one-stop-shop.  You can also follow the Calendar for our guild.  Most event-specific details will be on the individual pages, which I'll be linking here.  I will update the status of various conventions and events on this thread, and will be notifying you when additional events have been added.  You should click on the Follow button at the top of this post to make sure you get updates.

THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED TO REPLIES UNTIL AFTER GAME DAY, NOV. 4TH.  Please address any questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding specific events on their page.  If you'd like to suggest an event that we're not already working with, please send a PM to the following: @Sarah @NodnarbDude @Ceraph1216

CONFIRMED EVENTS

UNCONFIRMED (BUT LIKELY) EVENTS

WISH LIST EVENTS

NEW EVENTS FOR 2018 IN THE WORKS

• Katsucon (February)
  • Magfest (Various)
  • Super Smash Con - looking into this for 2017 as well, but it conflicts with Otakon so will depend on volunteers and other resources
  • Smithsonian SAAM Arcade at American Art Museum
  • Awesome Con
  • Like 1

Awesome news, friends!  We have received a confirmation from two more events.  Baltimore Comic Con and WashingCon are a go!  WashingCon will be a new event for us, and will get us some exposure to the tabletop gaming community, so I'm very excited about this one!

I have some bittersweet news.  We are now confirmed for Artscape, however the BOPA festival manager has indicated that even charitable organizations are required to pay a $700 fee for space.  They are willing to allow us to attend, and appear to be waiving the entry fee for this Artscape, but we will no longer be able to attend this event for free.  We had about 80 sign ups at last Gamescape, which we can approximate raised $8000 for our local hospital.  It will be absolutely vital that we keep accurate sign-up records this year to compare to last year so we can confirm that this would be worth the investment going forward.  It was also indicated that in order to have space at Artscape, there should be a tie-in to the arts.  We will need to get creative with this in our planning and strategies, and I'm not sure how it will impact our approval for next year.

Smithsonian SAAM Arcade has officially been turned down for this year, however we will collaborate with them next year.  In order to participate in their event, we will need to contribute in some way - time, energy, or money.  Since we can't provide Smithsonian with financial support, we may staff a game tournament within the event next year or do something similar.  I will update everyone next year as this continues to develop.

We have just officially received word that there is no space available for us at Awesome Con this year, but they'd love to have us next year.  We'll need to apply around November or December in order to get in.

MAJOR update to the Artscape event coming up this weekend.  We still need volunteers!  Please check out the event post and RSVP if you can help!