Sign in to follow this  
Jack Gardner

Podcast:The Best Games Period - Episode 61 - Shadow Complex

ShadowComplexHERO-970.jpg

There was once a game called Advent Rising. It was hyped up as the next great science-fiction adventure that would transcend games and become something more. Unfortunately, it released in 2005 with a multitude of bugs in an era where patching post-release was a rarity at best. Advent Rising caused the implosion of its development studio, GlyphX Games. A group of individual developers escaped the studio's downfall, banding together to form Chair Entertainment. The newly minted indie studio went on to develop and release Shadow Complex in 2009. 

The 2.5D metroidvania sidescroller adopted a more realistic aesthetic and spawned a series of novels authored by Orson Scott Card. The game released and seemed to fill a niche in the indie gaming world that hadn't been filled in quite that same way before. With a recent remaster, it seems like a perfect time to ask the question: Is Shadow Complex one of the best games period?

Each week we will be tackling a video game, old or new, that at least one of us believes deserves to stand as one of the greatest games of all time. We'll dive into its history, development, and gameplay, while trying to argue for or against the game of the week. Sometimes we will be in harmonious agreement, other times we might be fighting a bitter battle to the very end. However each episode shakes out, we hope that everyone who listens will find the show entertaining and informative.

Outro music: Tales of Phantasia 'The Koan of Drums' by djpretzel (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01500)

You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is (sometimes) available as well, so you can watch what we are talking about while we talk about it!

If you want to have your opinion heard on air, share your opinion in the comments, follow the show on Twitter, and participate in the weekly polls: @BestGamesPeriod 

New episodes of The Best Games Period will be released every Monday

View full article

You can just go back to your car and leave, and that's an actual ending!? XD

Daniel didn't like Speaker for the Dead!? I found that whole Ender's Game-Speaker for the Dead-Xenocide-Children of the Mind series so interesting! I agree that the parallel series that started with Ender's Shadow wasn't as good though. I don't recall liking it as much... or much about it in general.

Also, Advent Rising is a Best Game Period. Kidding. Probably not, but I had a ton of fun with it. It's glitchy as hell, but entertainingly so. Everything about the game is fun, strange, and hilarious. Dual wielding weapons (including rocket launchers), climbing on stuff, dodge jumping and leaping off of walls in slow motion, throwing aliens into the depths of space with super powers, launching vehicles into the air or an abyss--the gameplay is so fun and ridiculous. I really like the animations and art style as well. The protagonist's gazelle-like leaps, even among his colleagues, are particularly entertaining. I also think it's funny that, Gideon Wyeth, the protagonist, is an unlikely hero according the box, even though he's a dual-gun toting soldier important enough to participate in first contact with an alien race. What humble and unlikely beginnings for a hero!

You both should play it. It's pretty great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silentfuzzle said:

Also, Advent Rising is a Best Game Period. Kidding. Probably not, but I had a ton of fun with it. It's glitchy as hell, but entertainingly so. Everything about the game is fun, strange, and hilarious. Dual wielding weapons (including rocket launchers), climbing on stuff, dodge jumping and leaping off of walls in slow motion, throwing aliens into the depths of space with super powers, launching vehicles into the air or an abyss--the gameplay is so fun and ridiculous. I really like the animations and art style as well. The protagonist's gazelle-like leaps, even among his colleagues, are particularly entertaining. I also think it's funny that, Gideon Wyeth, the protagonist, is an unlikely hero according the box, even though he's a dual-gun toting soldier important enough to participate in first contact with an alien race. What humble and unlikely beginnings for a hero!

I've been really considering buying it and downloading the unofficial patch to see what it is like without all those technical issues. Maybe there is something really cool there? Or maybe I should play without the patch and see if there is something there in the opposite direction. MAYBE ADVENT RISING IS THE TROLL 2 OF VIDEO GAMES!!!?!11!

I bought the PC version on Steam a while ago, but I never got around to playing it, so I couldn't tell you what it's like. I think the PC version fixes a lot of the bugs that the Xbox version had, and the Advent Revising patch fixes visual anomalies with the cut scenes. It would be interesting to see what it's like without the glitches as much as I'd miss driving a tank through civilians stuck in a T-pose and watching them fall over as if they've been shot two seconds later and other shenanigans.

• Like 1