2016 Events - Kansas City, KS - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
MedievalMelody

2016 Events

Hey everyone!

We have a table in the gaming room of Naka-Kon at the Overland Park Convention Center on March 11 to 13th! If you are interested in volunteering for the event, we need volunteers between the hours of 4p and 12a on Friday, 10a to 12a on Saturday, and 10a to 4p on Sunday.  Let me know your availability below! :)

Hey there! i'm brand new to the guild this year and cant wait to get started! i can volunteer on Friday between 6pm-8pm. Also, can i bring my husband along? He's helped me out a lot and loves Extra Life as much as I do!

On 2/22/2016 at 10:47 AM, allthewayj said:

Hey there! i'm brand new to the guild this year and cant wait to get started! i can volunteer on Friday between 6pm-8pm. Also, can i bring my husband along? He's helped me out a lot and loves Extra Life as much as I do!

Hey All the Way J! Any way you and your husband could do 7pm to 10pm or 4 to 7pm on Friday?  Also, we have a Guild meeting NEXT Wednesday, March 9th. Sorry I am just now responding...been out of town at Extra Life United! Can you make it to the meeting? We'd love to meet you and finalize the Naka-Kon schedule! Friday is almost totally filled up so we may not need to at all :) 

i hope you had fun! it looked like a blast! Yea we could definitely do the 7-10pm if needed. i dont get done with work until 5 :(. i'm am def going to try to make it to that meeting as well since i was unable to make it to the first one. has a time and place been decided yet?

thanks!! :D

2 hours ago, allthewayj said:

i hope you had fun! it looked like a blast! Yea we could definitely do the 7-10pm if needed. i dont get done with work until 5 :(. i'm am def going to try to make it to that meeting as well since i was unable to make it to the first one. has a time and place been decided yet?

thanks!! :D

Time is 630pm. Place is TBD but will be announced by this Wed!

Below is the schedule for Naka-Kon 2016, which is March 11 to 13 at Overland Park Convention Center. The spots with dashes are empty slots. If we can fill them, great. If not, Naka-Kon will fill them for us and it will not be a problem!

All volunteers will be standing near the entrance of the gaming room with a table of Extra Life information and registration forms. In addition to talking about Extra Life to everyone who enters, it will be your responsibility to check for Naka-Kon badges to make sure no one sneaks into the area.

Everyone on this schedule will get an email from me next week with the address of the convention, a reminder of time, duties, and where or who to get your badges from. Please keep an eye out for this email.

FRIDAY, MARCH 11

4pm to 7pm: Lori ( @Kiwi), with Lora joining as soon as she is able after work (I am working on getting you a helper, but otherwise you'll be alone til probably 530)

7pm to 10pm: Mark, Lora, @allthewayj and spouse

10pm to 12am: ---

SATURDAY, MARCH 12

10am to 1pm: Sean and Reanna

1pm to 4pm: Lori and Caleb

4pm to 7pm: Ben and Brigid

7pm to 10pm: ---

10pm to 12am: ---

SUNDAY, MARCH 13

10am to 1pm: Brett ( @KnytFyre), Steph, and Lora

1pm to 4pm: Lori and Lora to stay as long as we need and to tear down

Is there any special badge that would not gain entrance to the Gaming area or are all badges allowed? Where is the gaming room (if we were to enter from near the parking garage on the north side)?

Those are all things 

17 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Is there any special badge that would not gain entrance to the Gaming area or are all badges allowed? Where is the gaming room (if we were to enter from near the parking garage on the north side)?

Those are all things I am waiting to confirm.  As far as I am aware, the Naka-Kon badge gets you everywhere, but I am guessing that the gaming room is accessible without going through the main con floor, hence why badge checks are necessary. OPCC has lots of little rooms like that, from my experience with KantCon.  All of that info will be in the email I send out. I am going  to get a map of the con from them as well.

Jacksonville guild reaching out here!

I've just confirmed with the event director of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses that we'll be able to set up tables and recruit at the event. I'm spreading the word that they're open to other guilds coming out to their concerts.

There are a couple dates coming up near you:

KANSAS CITY COLUMBIA-JEFFERSON CITY 03/26/2016 - 3:00PM     Kansas City, MO, USA     Music Hall Kansas City
KANSAS CITY COLUMBIA-JEFFERSON CITY03/26/2016 - 7:30PM     Kansas City, MO, USA     Music Hall Kansas City

PM me if you would like their contact information to coordinate that.

Hey Kyle! I've already secured this opportunity for our Guild in Kansas City. :) I reached out when I first heard about another Guild doing it in October. I don't remember which Guild, but they posted about the opportunity and the contact info on FB back then.

The venue confirmed our table to the symphony directors over a month ago. We will be at both shows! I'm pretty excited about it and so is the Guild!

Thanks for reaching out though! :)

Awesome! Katherine told me to let you and a few other cities know to contact her, but you're already set!

All information on our volunteers is due to Planet Comicon in less than a week, which means...if you want to volunteer for Planet...PLEASE LET ME KNOW TODAY. :)

Our volunteers are split into two areas: 
-Extra Life booth, where you can talk to passers-by about Extra Life, get registrations, get donations through our penny war, and give out BINGO prizes

-eBash Gaming room, where you would be responsible for helping eBash run tournaments, sell punch cards, set up computers, and more. You can also talk about EL to people as well.

If you are wanting to be at Planet Comicon and help out, you must volunteer a minimum of 4 hours throughout the weekend. YOU WILL GET INTO THE CONVENTION FOR FREE :)

Please comment below or message me TODAY!

Have a great day!

2 years ago today, I had the great privilege of attending what would be the inaugural meeting of the Extra Life Kansas City Guild.  The meeting was held at the Microsoft store in the Oak Park Mall and it was packed.  Anyone that had participated in Extra Life for KU Pediatrics was invited. Most of us had no idea what exactly was going on, except that it was to do with Extra Life.  A member of the national team was there, as was our local coordinator, Jill Garrard.  We watched the tear jerking video about Victoria and how she influenced the creation of Extra Life.  We broke into groups and held discussions about how and where we could recruite. We set goals for what we would like to see accomplished by our guild. At that meeting the foundation for our guild was built and we've been going strong ever since.  New friendships have been made, new gamers recruited to Extra Life, and more kids have been helped because of those heroes.  Many of us have had opportunities to experience things that may have been impossible for us otherwise.  It's been an amazing journey so far, thanks for taking it with us.  

Guild photo.jpg

• Like 2

So, we tried this last year and it bombed...but I am ready to try it again!  And from the sounds of it, so are some of you!

For 62 days, we're holding a recruitment challenge to boost our participant numbers for Extra Life 2016!  From July 13 to September 13 (July meeting to September meeting), whoever recruits the most people at Guild events and on your own...will win a prize! 

Every minute, 62 children enter a CMN hospital.

What's the prize?  A nice donation to your page!  Fundraising can be a challenge all on it's own, so instead...do what you've been trained to do and recruit for donation! Plus, don't forget these numbers: for every 2 participants in Extra Life, they raise $200.  So you're helping the kids just by recruiting.

Our goal is to have 1,000 people playing for KU Med on game day and we all need to help reach that number!

Where will the donation money come from?  In order to win the money...you have to donate!  There is a minimum $5 donation required to participate in the challenge.  All money will be collected at the July and August meetings.  You can donate more, of course, but at least $5 is required.

Want to know more?  Come to our July Guild Meeting on July 13th and get the specifics.  Or, join our Facebook group and watch the meeting LIVE from my phone. :)

• Like 1

I've recruited 12 players so far for KU Med! Hopefully with the stats that means an extra $1200!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SunSchrein said:

I've recruited 12 players so far for KU Med! Hopefully with the stats that means an extra $1200!

Fantastic new SunSchrein!! I'm going to be messaging you soon to make sure I get your IRL name and to introduce myself if we haven't met!

Hey all - I wanted to reach out to everyone and make sure you were aware that our gaming event in KC is working with Extra Life to raise money for the kids!  This is an open-ended gaming event where you can play whatever you wish, whenever you wish.  We will have a few side events that is available to everyone to play (Rockband/Artemis) and maybe more as we get closer to the event date.

Here is all the info:

Event: KCGameOn #71 collaboration with Extra Life https://www.kcgameon.com
Date/time: Oct 8 starting at 11am, going for 25 hours straight!
Expecting 350 people
Entry Fee: $15 pre-paid or $20 at the door
Door prizes/Snacks/Dinner/Pop provided throughout the event
Tournaments: League of Legends (gold and under), Overwatch, RocketLeague 3v3, Halo5, CSGO $2000*, Hearthstone, Destiny, FPV drone racing

*based on 8 teams entry ($250 per team)

We will have Extra Life on site, feel free to pitch them a few bucks, pay through registration, join our team, run your team or just come and play - there is no pressure.
If you have questions, feel free to message me!

• Like 1