Sign in to follow this  
SpaceGhost2K

Restaurants that will help

There's a thread mentioning Red Robin, and I didn't want to derail that one. But if you're aware of a restaurant - local or national - that does fundraising, please post them here along with any details you might know. Most do, so this might end up being a really long list.

There are a number of ways restaurants can offer support:

1) Percent of sales. You make a flyer, you drive the traffic, the time period is limited. You get a percent of the sales, but you "created" sales they wouldn't have had, so you both win. General rule: You can't just stand out front and give flyers to entering customers. Those were already their customers, so that's bad form.

2) Gift cards. Ask them to donate a gift card for a "Donation Drawing." "Raffles" are frequently illegal because they're considered gambling.

3) Donate food to you for your marathon. Ask them to keep you in food while you game, and then tell them you'll mention them on your fundraising page, and frequently during your stream (if you do that).

4) Promote your effort. Give them brochures or flyers, or even an SASE as a statement of faith that they will help. Maybe they can post a poster or display flyers. Maybe they can't, but they post it in back for employees to see.

Anyway, here's a list of people who have helped us in Bakersfield.

Me N' Ed's Pizzeria and Subway Sandwiches both gave us discounts on food to feed our team members.

Jersey Mike's Subs is a national CMNH partner. They gave us a discount. Our local restaurant was unable to just donate the sandwiches, though.

Panda Express is another national CMNH partner. However, they just changed their rules that they only donate food where the CMNH kids are actually consuming said food - not fundraisers. They helped us before with 100% food donation but were unable to last year.

Costco, our local one at least, donates "day old" items to a local food bank, but they will divert some for specific events with plenty of warning. They gave us a literal mountain of baked goods.

Starbucks Coffee has bulletin boards for posting community events, but keep it small and punchy. They get crazy traffic so you want to be there.

We received gift cards from these restaurants: Buffalo Wild Wings $100, Elephant Bar $100, Eureka Burgers $40, $45 and $5 x 18, PF Changs $25 x 2, BJ's Brewhouse Coupon for free Pizookie x 2. We had other donations from a few local restaurants.

We received 20% from Original Roadhouse Grill. Others have received 20% from California Pizza Kitchen. Soon - VERY soon - we want to do Chipotle, because Chipotle sells food for less than ten bucks AND gives you 50% of the ticket instead of 10% or 20%. It's hard to talk people into buying a $20 dinner that you'll make $4 from, when they can buy an $8 burrito and you make the same $4.

As mentioned in the other thread, Red Robin donates 10%.

Keep in mind that while some businesses have specific plans for community support, others have marketing managers that have leeway to be more generous. Your best bet: Find a way to help a restaurant "get it." If they "get it", if they understand what you're trying to do and it clicks with them, you could get all kinds of out-of-the-box support.

Has anyone considered Dave and Busters? Also Chuck E Cheese's (I mean extra life and Nolan Bushnell's place. What could be better? And it's for the kids :) )

Old Country Buffet has just launched a program where you sell tickets for a specific night & time. They'll print the tickets & send them to you, you sell them & split the proceeds with the local unit. The local Old Country Buffet provides the food, location, & staff.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is a reasonable timeframe to make these requests or give notice? It seems like a bad idea to give a heads up 8 months ahead of schedule, giving plenty of time for a change in management or stuff like that, but I don't want to wait until a month before, and come up short on time.

I know the Old Country Buffet program requests that you give them a minimum of 30 days notice. Different restaurants have different polices as to what timeframe is allowed. My one fundraising night I have scheduled right now, I scheduled about 2 and a half months beforehand. I'd letting them know you're participating in Extra Life say a good rule of thumb would be about 2-3 month notice, so that you can use the time to get materials ready, as well as the possibility of getting clearances for logo use from the Marketing/Advertsing department of the CMN Hospital you're supporting for using on flyers/tickets.

One big thing that would help is if you actually reach out to the Director of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Program of the hospital you're supporting & mentioning that you're participating in Extra Life and asking what support/materials they can provide.

I did contact the CMN Hospitals Program Director at the hospital I'm supporting, & I was sent a banner with the hospital's logo, flyers/brochures, & continual support that can aid in doing fundraisers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is a reasonable timeframe to make these requests or give notice? It seems like a bad idea to give a heads up 8 months ahead of schedule, giving plenty of time for a change in managementarrow-10x10.png or stuff like that, but I don't want to wait until a month before, and come up short on time.

I just received 2 $25 gift cards from Mellow Mushroom to give away, so that might be another place to check if y'all have one of those around.

Has anyone considered Dave and Busters? Also Chuck E Cheese's (I mean extra life and Nolan Bushnell's place. What could be better? And it's for the kids :) )

Chuck E Cheese is a great idea!

I know Perkin's has a program for charities. I tried to contact my local one and never heard back from them, but maybe you guys will have more luck.

Chuck E Cheese is a great idea!

I know Perkin's has a program for charities. I tried to contact my local one and never heard back from them, but maybe you guys will have more luck.

I didn't even know Perkins was still open! We had one or two here in Michigan, and they just disappeared.

Anyways, while not a restaurant, has anyone tried contacting their favorite bands? I contacted 2 of mine, and they both sent over a stack of CDs to give away! It's a win-win, because you get free stuff for giveaways, and they get publicity from putting their music out there! Indie bands will obviously work better, as a band with a record label won't have trouble with publicity.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned already (on a quick scan through I didn't see it) but Dairy Queen is very much in support of Children's Miracle Network (at least my local one is). I spoke with the owner of the local one to me and he was excited to help out however he could. He said he had already been thinking about some stuff to do for "that gaming event" (which I quickly informed him was called Extra Life haha) and even mentioned wanting to bring in one of those gaming buses and make a big event out of it!

I submitted a request for Chipotle, thinking it could be 3-4 weeks out. It's 12 weeks out. That's three months. I had to just pick a date and hope it doesn't clash with anything.

I submitted a request for Chipotle, thinking it could be 3-4 weeks out. It's 12 weeks out. That's three months. I had to just pick a date and hope it doesn't clash with anything.

OMG Chipolte is, like, my favorite restaurant EVER lol. They do events like this?

Chipotle offers 50%, not 20% like most other places. So if a supporter goes to a regular restaurant and spends $20, you get $4. If they go to Chipotle and spend $8, you still get $4. Or if they spend $20, you get $10.

In previous attempts, people didn't like the idea of having to buy a $20 dinner for us to make four bucks. With Chipotle, they don't have to.

Chipotle offers 50%, not 20% like most other places. So if a supporter goes to a regular restaurant and spends $20, you get $4. If they go to Chipotle and spend $8, you still get $4. Or if they spend $20, you get $10.

In previous attempts, people didn't like the idea of having to buy a $20 dinner for us to make four bucks. With Chipotle, they don't have to.

Just one more reason for me to love Chipolte <3 <3 <3 :o I'll have to talk to my local store :cool:

I just received 2 $25 gift cards from Mellow Mushroom to give away, so that might be another place to check if y'all have one of those around.

We have a chain that just opened up in Richmond, VA. I wonder if they're as supportive. May have to check; thanks for the heads up!

Noodles & Co. (St. Louis, MO) does a couple different options, like donates a percentage to the organization if you bring a flyer.

1) Percent of sales. You make a flyer, you drive the traffic, the time period is limited. You get a percent of the sales, but you "created" sales they wouldn't have had, so you both win. General rule: You can't just stand out front and give flyers to entering customers. Those were already their customers, so that's bad form.

We received 20% from Original Roadhouse Grill. Others have received 20% from California Pizza Kitchen. Soon - VERY soon - we want to do Chipotle, because Chipotle sells food for less than ten bucks AND gives you 50% of the ticket instead of 10% or 20%. It's hard to talk people into buying a $20 dinner that you'll make $4 from, when they can buy an $8 burrito and you make the same $4.

As mentioned in the other thread, Red Robin donates 10%.

Has anyone made/designed these discount fliers or coupons that someone could use as inspiration with our own restaurants?