LeaveIt2Beaver

Guild Feedback Survey!

Thanks for all of the hard work and HOURS of dedication this past year! You have a lot of celebrating to do and we have a lot of work to do to make 2017 the best Extra Life year yet. Please share your feedback with us as we look to level-up the Guild program!

Guild Feedback Survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N57ZCL5

• Like 5

Survey done, feedback sent in. Thanks for doing this Michael. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Those posters are incredible.

A ridiculously nice Extra Lifer gifted them to us at ELU last year!

19 minutes ago, Xeserox said:

Survey done, feedback sent in. Thanks for doing this Michael. 

Thanks for filling it out! 

• Like 1

Submitted

Is this survey only for Guild Leadership, or should we circulate it to the General Guild Membership as well?

• Like 1

I hope I don't come off sounding bitter.  I truly do enjoy my time with the guild program.  Just passionate about making it better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Viedt said:

I hope I don't come off sounding bitter.  I truly do enjoy my time with the guild program.  Just passionate about making it better.

I know the feeling because I feel the same way. I too am concerned that it appears as though I'm overly critical, when really I consider it a labor of love. 

That said, I think we all know that 1) it's no easy task and 2) there's plenty of room for improvement. Talking about it is just the first step. :)

• Like 2

On 1/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, Herbertsmart said:

Submitted

Is this survey only for Guild Leadership, or should we circulate it to the General Guild Membership as well?

Share with Guild members as well, please!

----Apologies in advance for the long post! ----

Huge shout out to those of you who filled out the Guild Feedback Survey in February! We analyzed the data, presented a plan for Guilds 2.0 to the Hospitals Program Directors at Momentum and revamped based on their feedback.

Now we'd love to hear what YOU think! The attached pictures show the takeaways from the survey results as well as a proposed structure for what Guilds 2.0 *could* look like. Nothing set in stone, just throwing out some initial ideas and want to get your thoughts/opinions!

Page_2.png

Page_3.png

Page_4.png

Page_6.png

Page_7.png

Page_8.png

• Like 3

Super excited to see some of this implemented.  I can't remember if I made it through the survey when it came out.  One thing I'd like to mention regarding tools is, in our case, we're working a lot of conventions and big events.  The cost is too high to have full trade show level setups, but it's really important to have a visually appealing booth with some "attention grabbers" (in our case we use a prize wheel and candy/swag).  It would be helpful for Extra Life/CMN to arrange for major metro area Guilds to have some more professional looking setups, or at least provide the ability for our hospital or volunteers to purchase promotional items and booth setups at a volume or nonprofit/charitable rate.  We're great at talking to people, but we need to get them to our tables/booths before we can pitch to them!

As a side note related to that, shying away from the "24 hour" part of the gaming marathon copy on signage would be helpful.  There are some people who get really hyped about the challenge of staying up that long, but just seeing that text prominently placed on standees has been a pain point and deterrent for some people.  Tablecloths and standees often get completely covered by people that come to talk to us, also.  Having some sort of tall banner setup for above our heads would be really useful.  We're working on rigging up our own creative solution here in Baltimore, but it's far from professional looking.  As much as I can explain things away with "this is a charity" and "we're volunteers," the reality is that having a professional appearance and appropriate materials available for people that visit the table goes a long way in building credibility with someone who has never heard of Extra Life.

• Like 5

He are some of the biggest challenges I foresee as the Guild program continues to evolve:

1) Feedback for Hospitals.  Getting tools/support from Hospital or National in a timely manner is an issue.  We have struggled to get fliers and PR materials updated with current Extra Life numbers/data.  These requests are often sent back to the requesting party to generate the needed materials themselves.  Requests for info/data and questions to National go unanswered for extended periods of time.   The turn-around time for printed materials from our Hospital is cumbersome and we are squandering a limited supply of SWAG incentive items to try and last through another year.  As a volunteer and guild leader these issues make our jobs more difficult and "less fun".

2) Feedback for National.  The Community Hub is ineffective period.  I understand the goal in centralizing EL Communications, however it just hasn't worked.  Our other social media accounts (Facebook, Discord) consistently reach a greater audience and elicit more interactions than the Community Hub does.  EL should continue to explore other options to enhance the Community Hub and experiment with alternatives as well.

3) Key Takeaways.  Expand Guild's core function?  I think many Guilds (including my own) already struggle with the current core functions of Recruitment and Brand Messaging.  I feel that adding additional responsibilities may dilute our effectiveness even further.

4) Guilds 2.0.  New Leadership Structure?  I'm not too sure it matters what their titles are or how many ways you divide the responsibilities, most Guilds will continue to struggle to fill these leadership roles.  Since the inception of our Guild, most leadership posts have changed over 3-4 times.  I agree that new leadership is vital for energy and new perspective, but constant turn-over doesn't send a good message and can cause confusion and attrition.  My suggestion would be to develop guild leader/member retention programs.

5) Key Takeaways/Guilds 2.0.  Formal internal recognition/award program?  I can see this having some value in incentivizing Guild participation.  However, I think it would be a shame if this took away resources that could be used elsewhere. 

This may look like a list of complaints, but I hope it is interpreted as objective criticism to spur positive change.  I currently don't have a lot of concrete ideas on how to address these issues but I'd be happy to participate in brainstorming/planning sessions moving forward.

• Like 5

Herbertsmart, I completely agree with everything you said here.  I have been thinking about this feedback for a few days now and the same thing that didn't sit right with me, seemed to not sit right with you either.  

In particular the leadership structure.  We can't get people to take on the current responsibilities as they are written in the guild rules.  That and we only have 3 to 4 people that even show up at all.  It essentially falls on myself to do all the roles, and ask if the others are willing to take on any given task that comes up.  Changing up the way they are written will not change that fact, at least in my case.

• Like 4

Viedt, I think you and Herbertsmart hit good points.  We had about 5 super active people for coverage last year.  This year we may have about 8, if we can hang on to people, and I'm pretty thrilled about that!  We worked some extremely long hours at conventions etc. last year, particularly when one or two of us attended that particular con and couldn't contribute to coverage.  We need more enthusiastic and trustworthy people!  I wish there was a more effective recruitment strategy for volunteers.

I dream of the day when a 4-hour volunteer shift is possible :)  I'll be pulling 12 hours tomorrow at a new event! :o

• Like 4

Agree with Viedt and Herbertsmart. Leadership in Pittsburgh has had no change -nor anyone willing to step up- and is on the verge of burnout such that we actually had to decide to dial back our efforts a bit this year.

All the other points Herbert made are feelings I've had myself as well. To mirror his sentiments: 

1. Some hospitals definitely need better direction as to what it means to host a guild. They need to be willing to commit the resources. Our hospital rep is great, but her bosses are pretty strict about what they're willing to give, so it gets bogged down in bureaucracy.

2. No one visits the community hub even when I email our members with direct links. If I don't include everything I need them to know in the body of an email message, they simply don't get the info. Facebook was much better for that because everyone is already there. 

3. We have enough hats. Enough said. 

4. We're lucky to have the leaders we have, and we are the ones that do 90% of the work. We don't need a retention program because none of us will step back just to let our guild falter - we just need the support to keep going.

5. Incentivizing participation could go a long way towards bolstering our active membership.  

• Like 4

I meant to reply sooner but the extra time has allowed me to better and more importantly concisely relay my thoughts.

I love or appreciate a good attempt at shaking things up for the betterment of a great meaningful effort.but my worry is the issue is deeper.  In our case in San Antonio there simply doesn't seem to be enough willing participants left.  So for us no matter the structure there wouldn't likely be enough to power it.

Would it be possible to either by guild or in total send a survey to all current and former guild members with a focus on trying to discover why this might be?  What the reasons and/or specific pain points were etc. etc.Any maybe be able to derive the essential issues and effect a better reorg that way.

It's all kinda worrying to me.  I've heard things from an average volunteer's life span being X number of years, average extra participation rates based on various geographic areas, etc.  If only we could replicate what it is we have.  What keeps us going and as or more passionate/dedicated than the year before.  For me its part all the like minded charity gaming minded friends.  That and in general terms I tend to be the adjective to the worlds nouns.  Passionate about passion, fanatical about fanaticism, etc. etc. you get the idea.

For what this is worth.  <3 Extra Life 4 Lyfe!

• Like 2