Sign in to follow this  

grail-to-the-thief-970.jpg

For All To Play has taken to Kickstarter to fund their development of a game with no need for visuals, Grail to the Thief: An Interactive Audio Adventure.

Designed to be played and enjoyed by both the visually impaired and ocularly enabled, Grail to the Thief is a text adventure that conveys all of its information in an audio format. All dialogue is voiced, while sound effects, music, and ambient sound convey additional details about the in-game environment.

Grail to the Thief iterates on the traditional text adventure formula by giving players access to a number of options in any given scenario. This eliminates the tedium and frustration of experimenting with typed commands and allows players to enjoy the story, which draws inspiration from the likes of Zork, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the movie Time Bandits. I could try and summarize the plot, but I'll let the developers do it for me in their own words:

The game stars Hank Krang, a dirty thief from the near future, who recently had a self-aware time machine called the Time Excursion Digital Interface, or TEDI, fall into his lap after a poker game. He has decided to use this technology to go throughout time, stealing priceless artifacts. On his first adventure, Grail to the Thief, Hank travels to Arthurian times in search of the Holy Grail.

Now if that isn't a plot I can get behind, I don't know what is. Grail to the Thief, if fully funded in the next 25 days will be released on PC, Mac OS X, and Linux, with stretch goals for mobile, a playable female character, and Spanish localization.

Interested parties can play a prototype of Grail to the Thief in either Chrome or Opera web browsers by following the link foralltoplay.com/prototype. To support pledge money in support of the project, head over to their Kickstarter page.

It is amazing to see how far games have come in recent years with more projects being undertaken to accommodate players who might not otherwise be able to play and enjoy games. Hopefully, we will be seeing more games take less able gamers into account as we move forward as an industry.

View full article