djotaku

Intro and Question

Howdy!

I'm Eric and I live in Elkridge, MD. This is my third  year doing Extra Life. My story's on my profile page, but quick summary: my oldest daughter was born at HoCo Hospital, but an issue was discovered and she was sent to JH NICU. They did a surgery on day 8 of her life that saved her life. A couple years later they did another life-saving surgery. She also has twin siblings born in 2015 and while they didn't need to go to JH NICU, they had to be at the HoCo NICU which I also kind of consider to be JH since it's an affiliated hospital. So, like many participants, Extra Life is very personal to me.

No guild participation so far, so looking into it this year. I took a quick look through the forum and I see two things: attending local events to get signups (I've seen you guys at BCC the last couple years - I cover it as press) and doing stuff with the kids at the hospital - like Halloween. Question I have is if the guild does anything like I'd heard some of the other guilds do - contact some place (say a Five Guys) and agree that some portion of the sales on Day X will be split as a donation to the members of the guild?

• Like 1

I'm not part of this guild but I always click on the 'unread messages' button whenever I drop by and saw it...

There are other guilds that have worked with Five Guys to do exactly what you're suggesting. So yes, your guild should absolutely look into it!

Guild participation is what you make of it. But your media background would be a huge asset for this guild. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Hello Eric!

Thanks for reaching out to us! If you're interested in being more involved in the guild make sure to come to our next meeting on Jan 28th at noon at Johns Hopkins Children's Center. We'll have pizza! We will be more than happy to talk to you about what being a guild member is like and ways you can help, even if you can't commit that much time. Every little bit helps and we appreciate everything our guild members do!

As far as the Five Guys thing I had never heard about that but I will definitely have to look into it. Do you know which guilds specifically have done it? I would love to be able to talk to them directly and get more information on it.

Hi Welcome Eric! I've been participating in Extra Life for 6 years now and i've been helping with the Bmore guild since it started. I've really enjoyed the interaction i can have with people at conventions and things that share my hobby and are interested in helping a great charity like Extra Life. If you have any questions about guild participation feel free to message me, drew (Ceraph1216), or Sarah. we Would be happy to help in any way we can! ^_^