Travel Expenses - Extra Life United 2017 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
ikon

Travel Expenses

I want to preface this post by saying that me and my girlfriend are flying out of Albany, New York and we're coming down on that Monday because we want to go to some parks. I also appreciate that Extra Life is going to have a discounted rate through Coronado Springs at $185 per night. I just want to let you all know that we shopped that around and we came up with this..

So at $185 per night at Coronado x 6 nights would = $1,110 before taxes. I also just looked at individual flights and the cheapest one we found was $689 for the both of us. Now we also wanted to visit both Universal parks and those are $185 per person for 1 park per day passes, plus we'd have to figure in taxi or uber rides to and from those since they are not Disney.

Hotel = $1,110

Flight = $689

Tickets = $185 x2

$200 (estimate for taxi/uber)

= around $2,500 after taxes and what not

We searched around and found a package deal through Jet Blue that includes flight, hotel and a car rental for all 6 days were down there with unlimited mileage and insurance on the car. Obviously this would mean we'd have to drive to the event each morning but we're staying at the Clarion Inn on Lake Beuna Vista Boulevard which is only 12 minutes away from Coronado and 15 minutes away from Universal.

Flight + Hotel = $930 (flight plus hotel is cheaper than just the Disney hotel)

Tickets = $185 x2

Car = $200

= around $1500 after taxes + plus we have the added benefit of being able to drive wherever we wanted.

So were saving around $1,000 so I just wanted to let other people know if you're on a budget that the best thing to do would be shop around a little bit. Also, http://wwww.skyscanner.com helped out quite a bit when searching for the best flights.

• Like 1

I'm only booking a room on site in the off chance my wife and newborn can come after all... Even asked my hospital if they'd pitch in a little given how much money we've raised for them, but got a flat no.

Flights from where I am in Canada alone will cost more than $1,000 for one person. Sigh.

• Like 1

I share your pain in the wallet as well my friends....  Contacted Childrens of WI and they also said they would not be able to sponsor me but that's understandable. Just gonna also throw out that @Hannie731 puts together packages and knows her stuff when it comes to this planning. 

Personally my wife and I are trying to figure out if we will just flat out drive or if we can snag a cheap flight to FL. I was told flights tend to be cheaper around end of January/beg of Feb. 

• Like 2

For some reason, I just saw that I was tagged in this.  I'm always glad to help, guys!  I'm a travel agent working for Disney. :) If you're looking to cut expenses, there are some "value" resorts near the Coronado that offer cheaper nightly rates.  I can help you figure all that out.   Feel free to shoot me a message here, and I'll give you my work e-mail.  

I just found reasonable flights on Frontier from Denver to Orlando.  Think with a carry on and nicer seats than the default, I got my flight for $400 or so.  Not a bad deal compared to what I paid last year.  Frontier is doing some cheap options right now, so check them out if you haven't booked yet.  Just beware that if you don't add your bags/carry on while booking on their site, you'll get hit with some staggering fees at the check-in counter/gate.

• Like 1