Sean Rooney

Extra Life United Packing List

A couple people have mentioned they're bringing 3DS's or *gasp* Vita's. Got me to thinking, what should be on the must-pack list for this trip for most of us?

See the thread about the pin exchange, while not a must-do it's a great idea.

Being Canadian and having been disappointed when I couldn't swim outdoors in Vegas on Christmas Day, you better believe I'll have a swimsuit.

Having been in Orlando in September for Dominic's wish trip, may I also recommend either an umbrella or poncho, whatever you prefer. It tends to rain often there.

On a more personal note, I know some folks know the #Dominicstrong story well by this point. We do have a limited supply of extra hoodies and T-shirts that we are continuing to sell for charity. We are bringing at least one to Orlando to a person who wanted to buy it. If anyone else is interested, email me (smrooney at g........com) with what sizes you'd want. Of note, we have a bunch of 4XL men's shirts and nine, count 'em, nine small ladies shirts still. Charging US$20 for the shirts and US$40 for the hoodies; lucky you with the crazy exchange rate. Proceeds to Helping Families Handle Cancer. Sorry Extra Life, you get money from pretty much everything else we do.

Anyhow, what else would you add to the list?

• Like 1

Smart idea to start this thread!

I'm bringing some simple friendship bracelets I got a a bulk party store for the pin exchange. It was the only thing I could think of that was simple, gender friendly, and affordable. 

I haven't really thought past that part yet- I always bring my 3DS with me on trips to occupy my travel time. 

I think if you're able, bring food and drinks because everything is so expensive at the hotels - ditto on the ubmrella/poncho. 

Pack like you would for any other con - comfy shoes, a light jacket, pain relievers (if needed), phone charger, etc. 

See you all there! :) 

• Like 1

Ah yes, phone charger. I'm all about water and flavourings these days, so a few bottles of Mio will find their way into my suitcase.

Friendship bracelets sound like a great idea!

If you are on the PC track, definitely bring an Xbox controller to plug in for some Rocket League (or your own personal controller if you'd prefer for the console track). I will also be packing the 3DS as well with some Smash to get in between some of the matches, if anyone else has it! I'm also bringing some business cards/contact cards so that everyone I meet will be able to stay in touch afterwards!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2016 at 6:26 PM, Sean Rooney said:

Have organizers said whether we can use our own controllers?

I would also like to know this one as it will effect my gameplay for 2 of the games. To be honest I am not even sure how to play Rocket League with a keyboard....

• Like 1

For those who were there last year, should we pack any dressier clothes? Right now I'm planning on a lot of Extra Life T-shirts and jeans.

1 minute ago, Sean Rooney said:

For those who were there last year, should we pack any dressier clothes? Right now I'm planning on a lot of Extra Life T-shirts and jeans.

Not entirely necessary, though I did bring a button down for the Lady Antebellum concert. I should have brushed my hair, but, ya know....

IMG_20141113_211035-2.jpg

• Like 2

On February 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Sean Rooney said:

Have organizers said whether we can use our own controllers?

Email answers that, but you've probably already seen Sean.

Also, I always pack a nice pair of clothes, but thats because my hospital contacts usually take me and the fellow MD Extra Lifers out to dinner, but other than that most of the time people are in like jeans and a t-shirt (Gaming/Extra Life) I know they required us wear the ELU Shirts on the days we were participating in the competition last year, will probably be same rules again this year. But its casual.

• Like 1

Yeah I got the email too late. Doesn't matter for me though, I'm on board game track.

By the way, for anyone staying at a Disney resort, take advantage of the Magical Express shuttle service from the airport! All you need is the reservation info for your hotel when you walk up to the shuttle desk. We got on a shuttle within five minutes and Coronado Springs was the first stop. Free is good.

• Like 3

Pack your bags, and you do you. Here's my short list of things other than the mundane clothes and toiletries I need:

Nintendo DS. (Street pass me!)

Tissues. (You are not too manly to cry.)

Disney Gift Cards. You can use them for souvenirs, or food and drinks, or park admissions, or even to pay for your room at the Coronado. This is a must if you can buy them anywhere that gives you perks - For example I get points to spend on gasoline when I buy gift cards from Giant Eagle (a Pittsburgh grocery store).

Extension cords / Power strips / extra charge cables. (Good to have when your phone/DS/VITA/GameGear is dying and a billion people are trying to use the same outlet.)  

Something for the Pin Exchange: During the autograph session/pin exchange, the champions will give you pins and other small goodies. Bring something to give them in return - some people do custom pins, friendship bracelets, stickers, etc.

Your own games/Dice. Be they small card games like Love Letter, or Zombie Dice, or something so you can run a pickup game of D&D, remember you'll be surrounded by gamers who might be into whatever you're into.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more if I think of anything else. 

17 hours ago, K8Morosky said:

Pack your bags, and you do you. Here's my short list of things other than the mundane clothes and toiletries I need:

Nintendo DS. (Street pass me!)

Tissues. (You are not too manly to cry.)

Disney Gift Cards. You can use them for souvenirs, or food and drinks, or park admissions, or even to pay for your room at the Coronado. This is a must if you can buy them anywhere that gives you perks - For example I get points to spend on gasoline when I buy gift cards from Giant Eagle (a Pittsburgh grocery store).

Extension cords / Power strips / extra charge cables. (Good to have when your phone/DS/VITA/GameGear is dying and a billion people are trying to use the same outlet.)  

Something for the Pin Exchange: During the autograph session/pin exchange, the champions will give you pins and other small goodies. Bring something to give them in return - some people do custom pins, friendship bracelets, stickers, etc.

Your own games/Dice. Be they small card games like Love Letter, or Zombie Dice, or something so you can run a pickup game of D&D, remember you'll be surrounded by gamers who might be into whatever you're into.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more if I think of anything else. 

You know, tissues should be included in the welcome bag.  I pointed that out last year.

Also, portable battery pack you can also use to charge devices.  Right now is a great time to get them, especially larger ones that will give you 2-4 charges of your phone, table, game...

It has been said before, but it bares repeating COMFY SHOES.

It might be walking between events, playing dances games, or hanging out in the parks, your feet will hurt if you do not bring comfy shoes 

This repetition from a guy who wore new shoes to ELU 2016

• Like 1

I love you all, but after a day or two of gaming in close proximity, we begin to smell. All of us. 

That said....

Deodorant: Stick or spray, apply liberally. Do not skimp. 

Frebreeze: Oh goodness your shirt will begin smell, this should be in the welcome bag. 

Mints/Gum: Because those couches get cozy...

Earplugs: In the event you share a room with a loud sleeper, Disney doesn't have these at the front desk

Water Bottle: Just like game day, hydrate. 

Hand Sanitizer: Touching a lot of controllers/keyboards/game pieces that others touch? Yeah, sanitize them manos. 

• Like 3

Skip the Febreeze, wash the ELU-supplied shirt in the shower each night and hang before you go to bed. Good as new in the morning.

I might bring a larger backpack this time because I'm likely to be in a hotel room so far from the event, I'll want to bring a day's worth of stuff with me when I go out. We got mini backpacks from CMN which work for most folks, but it can't hurt to have extra space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sean Rooney said:

Skip the Febreeze, wash the ELU-supplied shirt in the shower each night and hang before you go to bed. Good as new in the morning.

I might bring a larger backpack this time because I'm likely to be in a hotel room so far from the event, I'll want to bring a day's worth of stuff with me when I go out. We got mini backpacks from CMN which work for most folks, but it can't hurt to have extra space.

You know, I actually washed my shirt, in the laundry room, every night at my hotel.  I would stay and hang out, go do dinner, have some drinks, then, get to the hotel room, change, go to the laundry, come back, sleep.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 11:03 AM, herobyclicking said:

Earplugs: In the event you share a room with a loud sleeper, Disney doesn't have these at the front desk

LOL - Now I think I owe you an apology

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tiny415 said:

LOL - Now I think I owe you an apology

:) 

Speaking of which, let me know if you need a roomie again! 

I may or may not be attending this year depening on how close i can cut it with getting the cash for it and then requesting off. I just started a new job so i might not be able to get the time off. But from traveling before one thing i recommend bringing. Extra underwear! you never know when you might get food posining and sometimes not all hotels will have a useable washer and dryer guests can use. I also recommend a smell blocking trash bag for those times where food posining hits and your clothes get hit with back lash or spray damage.  Also for the deo may i also recommend non scented or allergry sensitive deo just cause well don't need a medical problem cause someone's spray or stick deo set off someone's allergies