Tips for Fundraising on Social Media - Fundraising Ideas - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
MedievalMelody

Tips for Fundraising on Social Media

As someone who does the majority of fundraising via social media, my Guild members have recently asked me to give some advice on raising money on social media, especially on Facebook.  About 90% of the money I’ve raised in the last three years ($400+ in 2014, $700+ in 2015, and this year I expect to do over $3,000 including my ELU winnings) has come from Facebook posts. 

Below are 5 pieces of advice to improve your fundraising through Facebook.  

1)      Post often, but not too often

My hospital rep always tells my Guild that it can take up to 10 “asks” before someone donates to your cause.  This is simply because people are forgetful and busy.  They will see your post or email and think “I’m totally going to do that” and then get distracted.  Therefore, it’s important to post on a regular basis...but don’t overload them.  If you post all the time, your message will get overlooked.  Once a week at most is my recommendation for the months leading up to game day.  I usually do 2 or 3 times a month.  However, now that we are closer to game day (18 days!) you want to ramp it up to 2 or 3 times a WEEK! People are familiar with what I do for EL, but every time I post, someone new donates or likes or joins and it surprises me every time…so keep it up!  If you don’t get on Facebook that often, there is an app you can sync with FB (https://apps.facebook.com/bf-extralife/?fb_source=feed) that posts automatically for you, but more to come on that…

2)      Personalize the posts

Money is personal.  People aren’t going to donate to a cause they can’t personalize with in some way.  It could be their connection to you and a desire to support what you’re doing…or it could be they sympathize with a story you tell.  This is where the Extra Life app suffers if you do automated posts: it does not allow you personalize and vary (more to come) the automatic posts as much as you should.  Tell people why you Extra Life.  Share a story of a kid at the hospital.  Both Extra Life and CMN national share great stories on FB that you can share easily and personalize with a bit of your own text…don’t forget to add your donation link in the description!  If people see what you’re helping…they will be more apt to donate.  If you’re in a Guild or do local recruitment, you can make Extra Life even more personal by posting pictures of adventures you have at events.  If you stream, you can make Extra Life personal by talking about it in your stream or posting about both EL and your stream on FB.  There are lots of ways to do this, but it’s definitely worth the time to make it personal.  If you’re passionate, people will recognize it.

3)      Vary your posts

If you take nothing away from this…take this one: variation is necessary in the world of social media.  No one wants to read the same thing over and over. Just think about when something goes viral…you see it once and then you skim over every other share of it because you’ve already seen it.  It’s the same with the posts you make.  If you say the same thing every time…even if you only make them twice a month…people will remember the similarity and skip right over.  The Extra Life app is helpful in this regard as it has several pre-made texts to choose from and you can switch them up.  However, I encourage you to post outside of the automatic application as well.  The text in the post is not the only thing you should vary…you must ALSO change the format.  Post a picture, post a link via the app, post a story (yours or a kids), post a selfie, post a prize you’re giving away, post a picture of your goal meter, post a wall of text, post a video, take a live video, post a streaming link, post a picture of a kid, post your hospital link, and any combination of the above. The more different ways you post it, the more people you will engage, as people are attracted to different things on FB.  Just think about yourself…there is one type of post (video, photo, status, link, article) that you ALWAYS check out from your friends and one type of post you ALWAYS avoid.  It also never hurts to vary the LENGTH of your text posts/descriptions as well.  Social media is a very quick-moving place and not everyone is going to read a block of text. I am a verbose person (which is probably obvious given the length of this post) and it can be hard for me to shorten my posts.  I have success with both long and short posts, but as with anything…you’ll learn what works for you.

4)      Create mini-goals

Having a goal of more than $100 can be intimidating to people, especially younger, poorer people like myself.  Asking someone to help you hit a goal of $1,000 or more can be scary.  Even though YOU know that every donation counts and it all adds up…it’s hard to prove to someone that even their $5 will make a difference in your grand total.  Thus, I suggest breaking your goal down into smaller goals.  Maybe shoot for a monthly goal.  Or, in this last ditch effort to game day, make a weekly or daily goal of $25 or whatever dollars.  You’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll hit that mini-goal.  For instance, my goal is $3,000 this year.  I recently posted on FB with a selfie about being $100-something away from $2,750 (which is $1,000 over my ELU winnings) and raised $75 that day.  I didn’t get all the way to $2,750, but I got closer…which is all that matters.  Every dollar goes directly to kids in your area and every dollar closer is important.  Don’t lose sight of that!  If you are doing giveaways, you can use these giveaways for mini-goals as well!  Many ELers have prizes for donors who donate a certain amount or raffle off items to people who donate in a certain time frame or a certain amount of money.  Facebook can be a great way to promote this. I don’t go the giveaway/raffle route, but still find breaking my goal into more attainable numbers to work well for me.  Imagine how it would work if I had giveaways or raffles!!

5)      GAME DAY

Don’t hide on game day….BE ACTIVE.  All of the advice above goes TRIPLE on game day…except number 1.  You can NEVER post too often on Game Day.  The biggest day for donations for most people is game day itself.  All of those people who swore they were going to do it before will realize the deadline is NOW and will donate.  So, don't forget to take advantage of that.  Make videos.  Post pictures.  Always ALWAYS post your donation link with everything.   Update people on your gaming and your fundraising.  Chat with friends.  Not only does it keep you awake and make game day go faster, but it allows your friends to see what you’re doing and they will WANT to help you on Game Day.  Moreover, they may even realize the fun they are missing and want to join up next time ;)

I hope this has given you some ideas and I hope you all have a great game day.  If you have any questions, please message me or respond and I will help!  Also, if any of you other successful social media fundraisers want to give tips…leave them below. The more the merrier!

PS…I have also done well using the emailing function the Extra Life website for co-workers and do want to take this second to recommend that feature!

• Like 7

Very good post.  If I missed it I apologize.... But, you should also post at various times of day to catch people on different schedules.  Peeps with a lot of friends aren't going to scroll for an hour to see your post that you made 6 hours ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kome said:

Very good post.  If I missed it I apologize.... But, you should also post at various times of day to catch people on different schedules.  Peeps with a lot of friends aren't going to scroll for an hour to see your post that you made 6 hours ago.

That is a very good point.  I did not say that, but that could go under the "vary" category.

I use a service called Buffer that analyzes when your feeds are most active and will provide you with a post schedule. You can post in there at any time at it will post to a certain network at your next highly interactive time on your behalf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MajorLinux said:

I use a service called Buffer that analyzes when your feeds are most active and will provide you with a post schedule. You can post in there at any time at it will post to a certain network at your next highly interactive time on your behalf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To expand upon this post, not only does it help for original posts, you can plug it into WordPress, use it as a Chrome extension (possibly other browsers), and you can re-post from the site.

Its been super helpful with my personal site and have began using it to reshare my Extra Life posts from my site.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MajorLinux said:

To expand upon this post, not only does it help for original posts, you can plug it into WordPress, use it as a Chrome extension (possibly other browsers), and you can re-post from the site.

Its been super helpful with my personal site and have began using it to reshare my Extra Life posts from my site.

I've used Hootsuite before which has similar tools.  That's really awesome to know for people who want to take it to the next step!! I was shooting for more basic stuff, which is why I didn't dive into all the apps and such you can use. There are SO MANY tools that automatically post or schedule posts or do analytics.  It's amazing.

• Like 1