Is there a place to get Team Donations? - Extra Life JSON Code Discussion & Sharing - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
djotaku

Is there a place to get Team Donations?

Recommended Posts

Someone asked me to add team support to my script: https://github.com/djotaku/ELDonationTracker

 

And So I took a look and this URL: team="http://http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID="+str(TeamID)+"&format=json" seems to provide the raised total and goal total. This page teamroster="http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.teamParticipants"+str(TeamID)+"&format=json" seems to provide a roster. But neither seems to provide team raised amounts. I know the info must be somewhere because @bfinleyui 's GUI tool that runs on Adobe something-or-other that I use on Windows can grab the info.

 

Where is it?

 

 

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about it a little - are people just grabbing the team member's IDs and the iterating over their JSON pages? If so, is there any limitation to JSON calls before the system thinks it's being spammed? (Eg: A large team would require dozens to hundreds of hits every X minutes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of member-by-member donations, there's no feed at the team level.  And good luck getting anyone to answer your rate-limit question.  I emailed, i tweeted, i posted here, and nobody would answer me.

 

For my 'top-x team members' thing, I decided to hedge my bets and just grab the top X team members and provide a list of their totals, since the team roster page seems to be listed in descending total order.

 

Otherwise, like you said, it'd be hundreds of calls every minute, and with the time-sensitive nature of the big gameday, if you get blacklisted from the server, RIP all your tracking.

 

It's frustrating, because I have a fairly good idea of what the database structure looks like, and it's not a hard, nor expensive, query to run, it just seems whatever software EL's locked into doesn't do 'that'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed in January of 2015 asking about rate limits for a screen scraper, and got a response from an "application support specialist" with a CMN signature.  They said they'd look into it and get back to me within a few days.  Two months later they got back to me and said they didn't have any rules other than 'reasonable', which they said was probably something like once a minute.  I begged for JSON at that point so I didn't have to hit their page with a scraper, or a robots.txt to tell me the limits, or something.

 

Then the JSON stuff came out, i re-wrote my helper, and asked again via twitter, I think?  I can't remember exactly to whom, and again didn't get a real answer, so I abandoned the idea of refreshing for all team donations.

 

I believe it was last year, too, that they partnered with a company for DDOS defense, which upped the stakes a bit, since they'd have someone specifically looking for bad network citizens and whatnot.

 

Because those rate limits are usually a function of the network hardware well in front of the actual DD software, I didn't think DD would really have an answer on the rate limit question.  

 

And for this year, i've got a nearly 4-month-old at home, so I wouldn't have time to re-write anyway.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps @DJThunderstix or @LeaveIt2Beaver could review this question and PM you guys with the response.

On 10/6/2016 at 9:59 AM, djotaku said:

Thought about it a little - are people just grabbing the team member's IDs and the iterating over their JSON pages? If so, is there any limitation to JSON calls before the system thinks it's being spammed? (Eg: A large team would require dozens to hundreds of hits every X minutes)

 

It would be great if the actual number could be shared publicly but I understand how that could be abused for the DDOS attacks. An API key system would be the best. Extra Lifers have individual keys with specified limits and team captains got an additional API key that allowed for more calls scaled or tiered by number of team mates. But that would have to be a solution for another year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SupeRaven said:

Perhaps @DJThunderstix or @LeaveIt2Beaver could review this question and PM you guys with the response.

 

It would be great if the actual number could be shared publicly but I understand how that could be abused for the DDOS attacks. An API key system would be the best. Extra Lifers have individual keys with specified limits and team captains got an additional API key that allowed for more calls scaled or tiered by number of team mates. But that would have to be a solution for another year.

I'll shoot our contacts over at DD the question and see if I can get an answer out of them! Stay tuuuuuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bfinleyui said:

I emailed in January of 2015 asking about rate limits for a screen scraper, and got a response from an "application support specialist" with a CMN signature.  They said they'd look into it and get back to me within a few days.  Two months later they got back to me and said they didn't have any rules other than 'reasonable', which they said was probably something like once a minute.  I begged for JSON at that point so I didn't have to hit their page with a scraper, or a robots.txt to tell me the limits, or something.

 

Then the JSON stuff came out, i re-wrote my helper, and asked again via twitter, I think?  I can't remember exactly to whom, and again didn't get a real answer, so I abandoned the idea of refreshing for all team donations.

 

I believe it was last year, too, that they partnered with a company for DDOS defense, which upped the stakes a bit, since they'd have someone specifically looking for bad network citizens and whatnot.

 

Because those rate limits are usually a function of the network hardware well in front of the actual DD software, I didn't think DD would really have an answer on the rate limit question.  

 

And for this year, i've got a nearly 4-month-old at home, so I wouldn't have time to re-write anyway.

 

First of all congrats on the 4 month old. My youngest ones are reaching the year mark, thank God. If this one's your first - don't worry, it'll eventually get better. If it's not your first, just remember how things got better with the older ones.

 

Thanks for the info. Last year I'd set the JSON grab on my Python tool to something like every 30 seconds and got denied pretty quickly. So this year I made it 2 minutes. I used your Adobe tool all year last year and it never seemed unable to grab the data, so seems like you're probably fine at a minute unless they change that. So far the person who requested team support hasn't specified team members, so I probably won't worry about that for this year since I don't plan to be gaming on Linux this year on game day.

 

@SupeRaven I think the API key idea would likely be great. They'd still need some kind of limit to keep inexperienced programmers from killing the API server on game day with everyone needed stats on that day. (It seems to be a crapshoot whether people use their stats all year 'round) But at least for API purposes they'd be able to tell us the limit. One possible limitation for open source projects - how would I make a utility others could use without them needing to also make an API key?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...