Weirdness embedding Twitch stream in donation page - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Maeglin73

Weirdness embedding Twitch stream in donation page

Recommended Posts

I know at least one person who's been able to embed their stream with the current page editor, but I can't get it to work properly myself, and not sure where the problem is. Twitch used to have a setting concerning embedding video in other sites, but that doesn't exist anymore that I can see, and I've used every variation of my channel URL that I can think of, but to no avail.

 

Any hints about something I may be missing? I'd really like to get this working by game day (just under 3 weeks for me), but will resort to a link if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trying to figure this out for 2017. It would be handy if the Extra Life site allowed plugging HTML directly into the page, as that's all that Twitch seems to provide as far as embed code. I've tried using the "embed content" feature of the editor, but currently get an error or nothing at all as a result, no matter what form of URL I try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Maeglin73 said:

Still trying to figure this out for 2017. It would be handy if the Extra Life site allowed plugging HTML directly into the page, as that's all that Twitch seems to provide as far as embed code. I've tried using the "embed content" feature of the editor, but currently get an error or nothing at all as a result, no matter what form of URL I try.

 

Hello @Maeglin73!
 

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely a known issue.

 

You can imbed using the "Embed a Photo or Video" option and using your basic Twitch address (https://www.twitch.tv/herobyclicking for example). 

 

While it doesn't look ideal it is possible. Extra Life leadership is aware of the community's desire to have a more presentable option for the Donor Drive (Extra Life Participant Page) site. 

 

Welcome back for another year of raising money for the kids!

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 12.31.12 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. I tried the embed feature with that URL format (changed to match my Twitch channel, of course), but got the error message "Media Content could not be retrieved. Please try a different URL." I know that there used to be a setting on Twitch to enable or disable embedding video, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore, so I'm not sure what would be blocking it if anything.

 

I do have "allow others to export video" disabled, but that appears to be related to YouTube exporting, not embedding the stream in other sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Maeglin73

 

That is odd. I was able to add your page, my page and the official Extra Life Page to my participant page. 

 

Apologies if you have done this already>

 

Go to Dashboard > select "Edit Your Page" > select "Embed Media from Eternal Sites" option (Music Note/Film Reel icon) > input your Twitch URL http://twitch.tv/maeglin73 > "Save Changes"

 

If this issue persists, be sure to send a ticket to support@extra-life.org. They should respond within 72 hours. 

 

Good luck!

 

 

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 4.11.33 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, herobyclicking said:

Apologies if you have done this already>

 

Go to Dashboard > select "Edit Your Page" > select "Embed Media from Eternal Sites" option (Music Note/Film Reel icon) > input your Twitch URL http://twitch.tv/maeglin73 > "Save Changes"

 

I did try that, and that's where I saw the error message. I have some content filter extensions in my browser, but get the error even after disabling those. What browser are you using? The latest version of Chrome here, and I can try Firefox tomorrow if it might help.

 

I'll go ahead and send in a support request about it, as it should work but apparently has some issues.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maeglin73 said:

 

I did try that, and that's where I saw the error message. I have some content filter extensions in my browser, but get the error even after disabling those. What browser are you using? The latest version of Chrome here, and I can try Firefox tomorrow if it might help.

 

I'll go ahead and send in a support request about it, as it should work but apparently has some issues.

 

Thanks!

 

I use Chrome as well, though without any filter extensions. I tried this on Safari as well with success. 

 

Best of luck! Let us know if they are able to troubleshoot this further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Just tried on Firefox (with and without filters) and IE 11, and in each case got the same error.

 

Hopefully they'll be able to figure something out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was able to get around the problem, but I'm still not sure what the problem is. I could get the embed function (such as it is) to work using my phone as a hotspot, but can't through my home network, so it's either something in my router or something the server they're accessing to get the embed information doesn't like about my public IP address. Without knowing what it's doing, though, I have no idea what to do about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Maeglin73 said:

Was able to get around the problem, but I'm still not sure what the problem is. I could get the embed function (such as it is) to work using my phone as a hotspot, but can't through my home network, so it's either something in my router or something the server they're accessing to get the embed information doesn't like about my public IP address. Without knowing what it's doing, though, I have no idea what to do about it.

 

Interesting. Weird. And frustrating no doubt.

 

I wonder if it has anything to do with Java conflicting with your network. At least you were able to update your profile page. Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell, the editor is using JavaScript/DHTML, not Java, but neither should be conflicting with my network. I imagine I wouldn't be able to edit the page at all if it were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maeglin73 said:

As far as I can tell, the editor is using JavaScript/DHTML, not Java, but neither should be conflicting with my network. I imagine I wouldn't be able to edit the page at all if it were.

 

Yup, sorry I meant Javascript. It's an odd issue. Curious to know the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about the delay... have been busy.

 

As far as getting it to work on a basic level, it seems to be something with Comcast or my router config, but without knowing what the editor Javascript is doing I can't tell exactly what the problem is. I can get it to work by using my cell phone as a hotspot, but that's not very viable long-term.

 

If I knew what the Javascript was doing, maybe then I'd also be able to know who to blame for using outdated HTML when rendering the embed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maeglin73 said:

Sorry about the delay... have been busy.

 

As far as getting it to work on a basic level, it seems to be something with Comcast or my router config, but without knowing what the editor Javascript is doing I can't tell exactly what the problem is. I can get it to work by using my cell phone as a hotspot, but that's not very viable long-term.

 

If I knew what the Javascript was doing, maybe then I'd also be able to know who to blame for using outdated HTML when rendering the embed.

 

It's probably worth sending this to support@extra-life.org if you haven't already. It may be something with the DonorDrive portion of the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was after a couple of days of communicating with them trying to figure it out. My last email to them was that I found a workaround, but it was only a workaround instead of a real fix, and that the updated embed rendering would be nice to see.

 

There are a couple of debugging methods I haven't tried yet, so I might dig deeper at some point and see if I can figure out what's going on. If nothing else, I can always put in a link to the Twitch channel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured out why it wasn't working on my home network: IPv6.

 

I have IPv6 enabled on my home network, which most people don't. It's not enabled with my phone's tethering, either, which is why it worked in that case. The server that the editor uses to try to get page metadata (query.yahooapis.com) advertises an IPv6 address, which Chrome normally prefers, but it doesn't support it nearly as well. The request is completed nearly instantly when hitting the IPv4 address for that server, but times out after over 2 minutes with IPv6. Thanks to being able to override DNS results through my router, I have a workaround. Unfortunately, the embed rendering is still fairly dated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction... looks like it is using the HTML5 viewer, but it's just kinda small. I guess I need to see what I can do as far as the embed settings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Maeglin73 said:

Correction... looks like it is using the HTML5 viewer, but it's just kinda small. I guess I need to see what I can do as far as the embed settings.

 

Glad you have been able to figure out the issue and thanks for sharing of course.

 

I know there is an open ticket to improve the embedding of media on the DonorDrive site, here's hoping progress can made to it before next game day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...