Support for guilds in the UK? - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Psymonkee

Support for guilds in the UK?

Any ideas what to do when you don't have a local guild? There's nothing here in the UK and I'm struggling to drum up support/interest on my own! Obviously I could look into creating a guild too!

• Like 2

I didn't know there were hospitals in the UK that you could support, so first That is AWESOME!!!!! 

I am not official in this regards, but I think I know the basis for getting a Guild set up in the hospital you support. Thought it might be a little tricky. 

I think you need to have 75 active Extra Life Participants supporting said hospital.
Then I think there needs to be a certain amount of money raised for that hospital.

Then, the hospital has to have someone willing to head represent the hospital at guild meetings and such. 

???? 

Non Profit. 

Okay a little joke there at the end, but in all seriousness I will ask my hospital rep what was needed to set up our hospital as a guild. I think the above is pretty accurate though. The biggest part is having someone that works for the hospital willing to head up the program. We are lucky, our hospital has the official person that is there for all the Children's Miracle Network stuff. Then we have another person, that unofficially he could do it if he needed to. 

• Like 1

While there are hospitals in the UK who need our support (woefully underfunded NHS rant goes here!) sadly we can no longer support them through Extra Life due to what I understand are awkward tax changes for charities outside the UK. Very confusing stuff!

Right now both myself and my team mate are backing Sick Kids this year and hope for better options in the future. As it is we are split by 400 miles. A few others have expressed interest though so maybe if I keep talking their ears off I might get somewhere!

Okay, I am not going crazy. I thought this was in another thread. 

@herobyclicking

Back to the topic at hand... 

I would imagine BREXIT causing a bit more head aches across the board. (Not saying if I am for or against it) But pulling support of UK hospitals seems a bit drastic. 

• Like 2

It goes further back than that - I found the blog post from 2013 that explains it all.

http://blog.extra-life.org/2013/06/extra-life-international-changes.html

Not sure what can be done to bring UK hospitals back into the fold (short of what's mentioned in the blog) which of course scares away potential donors and participants. We could of course simply join the nearest guild to our international hospitals but it would be nice to see more being done this side of the water :)

Okay, 

So just making sure I am on the right page here. Being a UK player, you have the choice to help support the international efforts of one of the three hospitals mentioned? And I am assuming you do so, which is pretty awesome! Because you aren't just supporting UK Children, but you are supporting children the world over that will be served at one of the mentioned hospitals. 

You also mentioned having a mate, that is 400 miles away in the UK doing the same thing. Is that person the only other UK Extra Life participant you know of? 

I only ask because I had an idea here... That might help at least get the group of you together.  You don't have to be an official guild to have a support group of like minded people helping each other with ideas. 

Our Guild... (Albany, NY Extra Life Guild) has a HUGE area in which our hospital supports. Let me stress huge... In square miles. So for us, we have people that want to be in the guild that live 2 to 3 hours away from the hospital. So we try to hold some of our meetings online, so long distance folks can still be a part of what we are doing.  Mind you, it is hard for them and most of the time we will only have 1 or 2 people from the Adirondacks join us, but it still helps them feel like they are a part of things. 

So the idea, and I am sorry for being a bit long winded here. 

Let me see if I can't ask my Hospital person to see if she can help me with this if you want. 

Try to figure out who all the international supporters of Extra Life are, then maybe we can help you find more people that participate from the UK.  Then, you all get together and form your own "guild". Have meetings online through Skype or even Google Hangouts... What ever works best for you. Share what your best practices are? Put out Ideas to help raise more awareness and quite possibly funds. Yeah it sounds like a lot, but you are putting together a support system. 

Or, 

I know that Boston and Toronto have guilds. I know for a FACT that the Boston guild has some of it's members remotely join the meeting. If the Boston Hospital is the one your support, maybe get into their forums and ask if you can remote in from the UK since you do help support the international efforts. While, it is going to be all Americans in the meeting, some of the ideas they are sharing might work for you in the UK. Or, join a meeting and then ask some questions about how you can better support the international needs of extra life in their hospital? 

Just a couple of thoughts. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 2

My thought would be if you wanted to have a group, you could indeed do something entirely online. But it wouldn't require support from the hospital, would it? In that case couldn't you just do it all through the forums here? Heck, I'm sure we could even create a subforum just for that purpose, similar to how the official guilds have subforums. One international subforum would probably do it.

Due to how things are set up, I wouldn't expect other international hospitals to be an option for Extra Life in the foreseeable future. You're probably stuck with the international wings of North American hospitals. Children's Miracle Network only exists in Canada and the U.S.

• Like 1

There are other UK based folks that take part in Extra Life, I was not sure what options were available for them to select a hospital, outside of North America.  We have three UK based folks on our team, and I know some of the guys from the Overseas Connection podcast usually take part every year as well.  Can anyone confirm that there are some UK hospitals that they can choose to donate to?  I always thought it was US and Canada only.  

thanks,

Dave

Yeah US and Canadian hospitals only. Still more than happy to take part though - just takes more explaining to potential donors :)

@psymonkee I'm the hospital rep from Boston Children's--not sure which hospital you're supporting. But we do skype in with some guild member.  If you're support Boston Children's we'd be happy to figure out how to connect with you!  

Hey,

I'm supporting Sick Kids in Toronto this year but I tend to rotate who I support so I'll bear that in mind for next year :)

Thanks! :D