What do you do if you surpass your goal? - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
djotaku

What do you do if you surpass your goal?

This is something I don't think I have to be worried about. I'm struggling to get to $200. (Goal $300 - which is about what I raised the previous year)

However, let's say I get lucky and between now and November I get to my goal of $300. If I want to continue to encourage donations - do I increase my goal? Do I say something like - "Let's see how much we can work past this goal?"

I picked $300 this year because, as I mentioned, it's about what I raised last year. (I'd hoped for $1k last year). I know that psychologically you want your goal to be close enough that people feel they're helping you reach it by donating, but far enough that they don't feel that someone else is going to close the gap. Good strategies? Good stories from previous campaigns?

I know this might sound crazy, but people have been using the ideas of stretch goals. 

If I raise XXX dollars then I will XXX. 

People have shaved their heads, streamed specific games they would normally never stream, or even let the community pick the game at certain thresholds.  

I know there was a person a few years ago... He set up a threshold, and the community behind him wanted him to play, on stream, Barbie Princess Adventure.  Then they hit another threshold, and they told him to play the sequel... 

It was torture for him, but hilarious for everyone else. The commentary on the stream was gold that day. 

Do things your are comfortable with, and then make sure those donating can see the results of your "Stretch" Goals. 

Last year... I ended up having my best friend dump 5 gallons of ice water over my head. We did a competition to see who could get the most donations as a stretch goal. It was hilarious, fun, and REALLY REALLY COLD! 

• Like 1

Some other options:

1) You can raise your goal. Make a social media post about breaking expectations and encouraging people to help you reach your new goal. 

2) You don't have to change anything. The Kickstarter model has altered that psychology a bit so some folks like donating AFTER a goal is reached to be a part of something successful. 

Good ideas both of you. If I get a bit closer then I'll toy with the idea of stretch goals.

I'm doing stretch goals as well this year. For certain milestones, i'll do certain things. Like change the default controls on a game for a certain period of time. Another i'm using is doing karaoke at a certain point. The final stretch goal is an Extra Life Tattoo, which i'm super excited about! i also do donation rewards. So $5 donation is choose a song to play on stream (family friendly of course). Another is writing your name on a piece of tape and putting it on me. i've also seen people put a tshirt on for certain amounts, so they end up wearing like 15 tshirts. i'm also doing for a certain donation amount, your name will go into a drawing for Steam gift cards. I also do youtube, so a reward is recording with me like a minecraft map, etc. another is for a certain amount, you are guaranteed a spot in an audience participation game, so they don't have to worry about being fast or winning a drawing to get into the game. i also don't like horror games, so a stretch goal is playing a horror game. :)

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 10:34 PM, allthewayj said:

I'm doing stretch goals as well this year. For certain milestones, i'll do certain things. Like change the default controls on a game for a certain period of time. Another i'm using is doing karaoke at a certain point. The final stretch goal is an Extra Life Tattoo, which i'm super excited about! i also do donation rewards. So $5 donation is choose a song to play on stream (family friendly of course). Another is writing your name on a piece of tape and putting it on me. i've also seen people put a tshirt on for certain amounts, so they end up wearing like 15 tshirts. i'm also doing for a certain donation amount, your name will go into a drawing for Steam gift cards. I also do youtube, so a reward is recording with me like a minecraft map, etc. another is for a certain amount, you are guaranteed a spot in an audience participation game, so they don't have to worry about being fast or winning a drawing to get into the game. i also don't like horror games, so a stretch goal is playing a horror game. :)

NICE. I think if I had a more regular stream, those types of incentives would be more useful. Or - If I ever get to do a gameday stream. I think next year will be the time I can finally do a 24 hour stream on game day.