Do you hit up the same people every year? - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
djotaku

Do you hit up the same people every year?

Last year it was like pulling teeth to get donations from some people who'd expressed interest in my cause or who were even related to me and, therefore, related to the person I'm playing for. So I figured this year I'd try and not hit those people up - let them have a break and maybe ask for donations from them at most every other year.

What do you guys do? What works best for you?

1 minute ago, djotaku said:

Last year it was like pulling teeth to get donations from some people who'd expressed interest in my cause or who were even related to me and, therefore, related to the person I'm playing for. So I figured this year I'd try and not hit those people up - let them have a break and maybe ask for donations from them at most every other year.

What do you guys do? What works best for you?

I always ask. They get used to it. Some ignore me, but most donate. Some even began donating every month. I try to send emails once every two months throughout the year, then I use Facebook once we get about 50-60 days out.  I find it helps to be on top of "Thank You's" and shouting out on social media for the support. It can draw interest from people on their side that you might not have had access to. 

Ah, OK. Maybe I'll revisit my strategy. I did make a FB post about it (and I never really go on FB otherwise). If EL's FB app has some kind of priority that lets it surface in everyone's feed, perhaps I'll consider using it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bacchanalian said:

I do, though I'm finding this year less of the same people are responding.

Boy am I in that boat this year.  This is my 3rd year participating, and for some reason it has so far been the hardest to generate interest.  I'm not sure if it's just a case of people getting tired of being hit up for donations, which I completely understand, or if it's just a fluke.  I usually start fundraising a few months out (started the first of August this year).  Most of the time many of the same people donate, but it seems I do get a few new ones occasionally.

• Like 1

I am also in my 3rd year, and this year I am trying to branch out beyond facebook and friends.  This last week I have started contacting local businesses (it is all of our Children's hospital after all).  I have not tried that before, but I will see how it goes.

I am also trying to be more outgoing.  I started a local Extra Life facebook group, and I am trying to organize a few small fundraising events.  One of which will be at the local Board Game hangout, and I am trying to get some stuff together for a Halloween event for the Children's Hospital itself.  Just asking for money is tiresome to everybody (but a staple of the cause), try asking local business for "something" to auction off, or setting up a (donate a $1, get your name on a badge hanging on the wall of said business), etc.  Thats what I am trying this year.

There are only a few Extra Lifers around here, so I'm trying to drum up interest in the cause, more than harassing ppl for funds at this point..I want to do more, but I have 3 kids and I just don't have the time to design new flyers/banners/posters/personalized letters/etc.. *sigh*

Edited by Kome
added more

This is my 4th year and over the years my fundraising efforts have slowly declined despite using more social media than ever to bother people.

My first year did have the benefit of being at a LAN event so I mugged everyone there for a few pounds/dollars with my quite frankly stupendous effort (drive 380 miles, played 24 hours of games, awake for 43 hours straight and then drove home after sleeping on a concrete floor....)

Since then it's been hard though - the same core group always donate but it's getting harder to drum up interest and I get a lot of hate via some of the forums I post on saying that playing games like that is easy and shouldn't be something I should ask for donations for doing.

This year I've approached 1 business thus far who have kindly provided items to be raffled off and I'll try and get some more involved and even try a leaflet drop with some of my favourite places to eat in town. Might work - only one way to find out!

• Like 1

I'm in year 6... And I still reach out to the same people. I keep track of who has donated, so when I reach out to them this year, I can thank then again for the donation last year. People love to be thanked. 

Then I do the usual, I hit up social media, my colleagues at work (I will send an internal Email).  I will ask if I can email the other buildings within our district as well. I'm a teacher, so I have to ask the district for permission to do so, but most times I get it. 

Then I promote the hell out of the Extra Life event that I run with my FLGS. I ended up setting up a partnership with them. They will donate a portion of tournament entries, and help me get prizes for the board game raffle I hold. Again all money going directly to our hospital. 

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. This year has been a little easier, especially with the event stuff. It's the fourth year I've held it, so Local businesses and such are more willing to give little gift cards and things to the raffle. 

It does get easier.... You just need to network, reach out and try your best. :) 

Also, it doesn't help to figure out who your hospital public relations rep for Extra Life is. Ours is very open to helping out local people raise money for Extra Life. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 

Hmm. Xeserox thanks for that bit of good news after everyone else reporting declines. I've thought of talking to some local businesses. There's a pizza place, chinese takeout, and daycare right on the exit of my neighborhood. Now with the new phone app, I'll give it a shot.

And reach out to your local hospital or local guild.  I am sure they can help you out with ideas and what have you. :)