EVE Online Going Free to Play (sort of) - PC Gaming - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bacchanalian

EVE Online Going Free to Play (sort of)

Andi/CCP Seagull (sorry, Andi's a friend!) announced something pretty awesome today for EVE Online's November expansion.  Players will be able to play the game for free.  As an EVE veteran with an account over 10 years old now, and as one who has used EVE Online events to raise over $15,000 for Extra Life and Children's Hospital Colorado, this is exciting news to me!

The catch is the accounts created by non-paying players will have limitations.  You'll be restricted to training for certain ship types (the smaller ones, which while still useful in many contexts, have an inverse relationship with the size of the battle in terms of their usefulness), and certain skill specializations.  What it allows is players to log in, poke around, and explore a game with a notoriously steep, intimidating learning curve.  A game as inaccessible as EVE Online has in the past been made even moreso by the monthly subscription.  

So what does it mean for you, person who wants to log into EVE and look around at the gorgeous scenery in space and experience being blown up and losing your ship permanently in a way that without fail will give you the shakes every time?

It means come November, you'll be able to download EVE Online, go through their amazing character creation process, and play the game without putting any money on the table.  You may even find that you're happy enough with the basic ships you have access to and want to keep playing in the free mode.  You may find that you love the game after all and see that it's worth the price.  

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Pending the announcement of a date for the expansion, I will be hosting an in-game event for Extra Life, hopefully with the help of CCP (they've helped me the last two years).  I'm going to bring out one of the largest ships in the game, drop it in space, and invite players from all over EVE to come and kill it.  Most players never even see one of these ships in game, so the opportunity to come kill one (or maybe die to it), is a pretty cool one.  My first event peaked at over 900 players on the field at one time, and raised over $8,000 during the actual event with a $5,000 match from CCP.  Last year had a slightly more conservative turnout (no CCP match and far less publicity made that inevitable), but we saw 450 players participating at its peak and $4000 raised during the event.  This means YOU TOO can come be a part of my event!  I'm probably doing it in early December, stay tuned for more information!

• Like 3

Eve is such a wonderful place. No matter how many times I quit I just can't stay away. 

I am hopeful that the Alpha clone state will allow more people to find a place in this game. 

Hehehe... I would be considered a Bitter Veteran of Eve Online. ;) 

Played that game for more than 7 years before losing most of my time to family and what have you.  Loved eve. 

I honestly don't know why they didn't do this before.  It is a fantastic idea, and if you are a current Eve Online player, you already have an idea of what this is going to do for the PLEX market.  Current players have a chance to make a serious amount of isk when this initiative goes live.  I am just curious what it means for those of us that would like to return with only using alpha clones? 

You can use your old characters, but you're restricted to the alpha skills if that answers what you're asking.

My original character by the same name as my forum account is just over 10 years old now.  My last two or three years have mostly been EVE Offline, aka having an active account training skills but never logging in.  For some reason after finally getting to be a commentator for the Alliance Tournament two years running, my obsession was quenched somewhat.  I still love the game, but just don't have the drive to log in every day anymore.

My reason for stepping away many years ago was mostly because the people I played with don't really play anymore. Which is a shame. 

I made some seriously awesome friendships because of Eve and I traveled to the UK three times because of that silly game. 

I had some epic memories.. it's just a shame.. I no longer play in the Uk timezone, ended up getting married and Have a family.. and I didn't mesh to well with the American Midset of the game. 

I know that might seem strange... But there are some differences in how Uk and American Players approach the game. :)   Trust me on that one. Well at least back then. 

But yeah... I am tempted on checking it out when it goes "free to play" 

I played Eve Online for quite a while. I found the time investment just too much. There are some good things about Eve Online.  Has anyone tried valkyrie?