Hey guys! 

I thought I would make a thread for hospital news and Miracle Stories. This thread is a great way to stay updated on happenings at the hospital and can be used when recruiting. Stay tuned for my first story....

Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) made history in 1997 when two surgeons pioneered fetal surgery to treat spina bifida, or myelomeningocele, the most common birth defect in the central nervous system.

Members of the fetal surgery teams from Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Mater Mother’s Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, pose for a photo during the Vanderbilt team’s recent visit.

Members of the fetal surgery teams from Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Mater Mother’s Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, pose for a photo during the Vanderbilt team’s recent visit.

Almost two decades later, armed with overwhelming evidence from a seven-year study that confirms the effectiveness of the complicated surgery, and with more than 300 cases already performed at Vanderbilt, the institution recently made history again when a team traveled to Australia in July to help launch that country’s first-ever fetal surgery program for spina bifida and guide the first surgery.

Read more about how Vanderbilt is taking discoveries around the globe, here

• Like 1

Great story Mark! Especially hits home for me, as I have a friend whose child was born with spina bifida! Glad to hear some of the successes that this hospital is able to produce!

• Like 1

For the 10th year, Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt has received the honor of being named among the nation’s leaders in pediatric health care by U.S. News & World Report in their annual Best Children’s Hospitals rankings. Again this year, Children’s Hospital achieved a maximum of 10 out of 10 nationally ranked pediatric specialty programs, and continues to be the only pediatric hospital in Tennessee to receive this distinction.

Read more, here

NICU nurse

• Like 2