Possible ideas for an event at my work - Akron, OH - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daddywarrbux

Possible ideas for an event at my work

For those who may not know I work in a special needs school. Administration has been supportive of Extra Life and has agreed to allow me to promote the charity within the school, collect donations for the hospital from students/parents and have even expressed interest in an event at the school. Here are my thoughts:

1. Food is a big motivator for my students and I considered setting a goal to be met by Nov. 4 (Fri before Extra Life gameday) and treating students that participated to a pizza party and games instead of schoolwork. The biggest problem associated with this is the cost and where it would come from. 
  2. Different but in the same line of thought as the first, but instead of the school working towards a goal each classroom would raise money on their own and the class that raised the most would be rewarded with the party. Less costly (and also less rewarding for the student population as a whole), but this method has been the most effective in the past when we do our canned food drive. 

I'm looking for any other suggestions, I'm not the most creative person and I thought maybe you guys could help :)  

EDIT: Looking ahead to the future, if the guild was interested in branching out and doing "non-Extra Life" things for the Children's Hospital kiddos (like I've seen other guilds do) we could also organize a toy drive in December centered around the school.  We also usually adopt a family, when the time comes for that I can share the information with the guild as well 

• Like 3

I like the Pizza party and games Idea.  Are you saying, though, that the kids would help get donations/sponsors for Extra Life?

For the pizza...ask around to some different Pizza places to see if they would donate Pizza for the kids.  I wouldnt doubt there would be places that would give some free pizzas to kids raising money for charity. 

And what games are you thinking?  You could have them play a bunch of board games.  Have them bring in their own, or just ask around for some to borrow.

Maybe we could do some sort of game drive and the winning class or grade gets the games.

• Like 1

You may want to watch for Humble Bundles if you need cheap party games to play with the kids....might be a good option for you :).