Don't be afraid to ask... - Fundraising Ideas - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Bacchanalian

Don't be afraid to ask...

For those of you who don't know much about me, I'm in sales.  I work for HomeAdvisor (if you're a contractor looking to expand your business, feel free to PM me, I can hook up some special discounts for Extra Lifers...but I digress) talking to people all day about getting on our service and how it will benefit them.  Of course, it costs money, and so I have to explain to them how it will help.

The biggest thing is not being afraid to ask for their business, or in this case their donation.  It sounds simple, but having made thousands of sales calls, I can tell you the difference between the weeks when I do well and the weeks when I struggle is my confidence level.  When I'm not afraid to just say "John, let's go ahead and get you going today, here's what we need to do," I close sales.  When I don't ask?  I never get the sale.  The same goes with donations.  I'm nearly $1,000 off pace this year from where I've been in past years in my fundraising.  Why?  Because I've not been asking for donations.  I've been too busy to post my link, write up a little spiel about my campaign, and for that matter too busy to recruit for my team--the roster is half what it was last year at the moment.

So tonight I posted my link, wrote up a blurb, and posted in the group I have on Facebook for my team poking people to register already.  Before I had finished with the post in the group, the one on my page had gotten me a $100 donation.  The post in my group got me another registration.  All because I took 5 minutes, and asked for the business.

People inherently want to help.  Why aren't they donating?  Think about it for a minute.  Maybe they don't have enough money and feel like throwing $5 in when you're getting donations of $25 and $100 isn't good enough.  But it is!  Even better, if they can afford $5 a month, there's a handy monthly donation feature, so they can donate $25 too just over time.  Do they think it's a strange cause, meaning they just don't get the gaming thing?  Do they get saving kids?  Have any friends who do 100 mile bike rides or do 5K runs or charity walks for other causes?  Same thing, different activity, and one that resonates more with the kids.  Sick kids can't always get up and ride 100 miles on a bike or run a 5K, but the majority of them can play games of some sort.  This resonates with the kids in more ways than just helping fund the hospitals--it's something they can participate in and many of them do.  

Remember.  There are thousands of causes out there.  Your friends probably even support a bunch of them.  I see fundraising links probably a few times a week from various friends.  But let's be honest.  Is there any cause out there that tugs more heartstrings than giving the youngest among us a fair chance at the life we all enjoy?  Is there any cause more worthy?  

Simple answer--no.

Just ask.  Post your link.  Explain why you do this.  The worst that will happen is nothing.  

• Like 3

Awesome!  Its as simple as that too.  Dont be afraid to ask.  Dont get discouraged if they say no.  And some times they wont even realize you are trying to raise money UNLESS you ask.

• Like 1

This. So much this.

I recognize that it's harder for those of us without a sales background.

As mentioned in the post above, it's about confidence. Believe it or not, I never used to be the confident type. It actually started for me with confidence in the cause. Once I really got a good look at how much of a difference our collective efforts make, I believed in it so much that I was able to work through my insecurity in approaching people. Research the cause. Look up CMN's stats on Charity Navigator. They have one of the highest admin/program ratios, which in layman's terms means they spend very little on admin so they can spend more on helping kids. Their numbers are impressive, and if going to Momentum for ELU has taught me anything, it's how amazing CMN and the Extra Life Community are.

Even if you lack confidence in yourself, have confidence in the cause and the rest will follow - your passion for the cause will be apparent. Sometimes all it takes for someone to donate money is to see how much confidence someone they know has in it.

• Like 1

I always reach out to my relatives and friends. They're my biggest supporters. I post in Facebook a lot and twitter. We are doing what we call #FiveDollarFriday where we just ask for simple donations of at least $5 and I tell people they can drink cheap beer or water at the bars, make coffee and pass on Starbucks or other ways they could afford the donation. Crazy enough friends I hadn't seen in years we were all in the same wedding party for our common friend. This year 2 of the other groomsmen both donated $100 each and I barely had seen them in years. My relatives are some other big donators and I always send out mass e-mails around game day.

I'm hoping to reach out to local businesses and see if I can maybe setup a table with a donation jar or if they can donate directly to my page. I'm going to work on getting out of my comfort zone which has helped me in my confidence over the years and made me better at customer service. I won't lie I hope this also helps me network to maybe some great opportunities. Good luck everywhere and yes don't be afraid to ask. It's like asking someone on a date it may seem scary but the worst is they'll say no and you can move on.

• Like 1

My hospital rep told me that it can take up to 10 "asks" before someone donates. And that's because everyone is just as busy as you.  You're too busy to post and they're too busy to donate right away. They think "oh, I'll do it later" and then never do. That is why I make sure all my Guildies ask OFTEN because the more you put it out there...the more people will do it! I agree with this ask philosophy 100%!

• Like 1

Last year i posed my charity stream on Facebook in hopes that family and friends would help my cause. Unfortunately some kids in my school had a different idea, to get 4Chan to raid my stream. Needless to say I was ridiculed in school for weeks. But thats just due to the fact that 1 or 2 a**holes decided they wanted to mess up my stream. Don't let this discourage you. I just felt the need to get this out.

14 hours ago, Earthgamez said:

Last year i posed my charity stream on Facebook in hopes that family and friends would help my cause. Unfortunately some kids in my school had a different idea, to get 4Chan to raid my stream. Needless to say I was ridiculed in school for weeks. But thats just due to the fact that 1 or 2 a**holes decided they wanted to mess up my stream. Don't let this discourage you. I just felt the need to get this out.

People who would take something positive like Extra Life and twist it into a source of ridicule have their own problems. I'm glad you were able to work past it, and not let it make you give up. Please be proud of the fact that you put yourself out there for a good cause even if a few mean people somehow decided that they should tease you for it.

If I might make a suggestion, you should see if you can reach out to your closest official Extra Life Guild through the hospital you support. You might be able to help them arrange to come and talk at your school. That'll get more kids in your school on board with how awesome Extra Life is, and maybe even show those bullies that you've got some awesome backup!

Good luck, and keep trying! You're doing great work!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Earthgamez said:

Don't let people like that discourage you!  I agree with K8, reach out to your local guild.  They may be able to set up and event at your school to help with raising money for the hospital.  Schools actually do like to participate in those things and they like it when the students are passionate about it.

• Like 1

On September 21, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Earthgamez said:

We have a twisted little saying, that sometimes we use... privately, but just to help us get past some of the negatively that people have out there.   

"What, do they hate kids?" 

Extra Life is for the Kids. (It's the slogon after all). So people being disruptive and crappy...  Do you best to push through and then just think to yourself...  "What, Do they hate kids?"  Helps me deal with some of the negative stuff I've run into. 

Also the advice of continually asking is good as well. 

On August 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM, MedievalMelody said:

My hospital rep told me that it can take up to 10 "asks" before someone donates. And that's because everyone is just as busy as you.  You're too busy to post and they're too busy to donate right away. They think "oh, I'll do it later" and then never do. That is why I make sure all my Guildies ask OFTEN because the more you put it out there...the more people will do it! I agree with this ask philosophy 100%!

When I am asking for donations from my colleagues, I start sending out work wide emails about a month before the event, then a week later, then at the end of that second week, beginning of the third week, End of the third week... Then the fourth week....  Beginning middle, end, and then THE EVENING OF THE EVENT! 

I don't mess around! LOL Because I do hear... "Oh I will donate later" or something like this. 

This year, because I work in a school, we are going to pit the 5/6 grade vs the 7/8 grade to see who can raise the most money. I have a 5/6 grade teacher helping me.  Winner gets to hit loser in the face with a whip cream pie!!!!  And I already have a feeling that My whole school is going to side with the 5/6 grade teacher... Just to see me get a pie to the face! 

Hope this helps! :) 

Cheers, 

• Like 4

OK, OK. I won't be afraid.... anyone want to help me get to $200? I'm $30 away!