Gamescape Debriefing - Baltimore, MD - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content

First, I'd like to give big thanks to @NodnarbDude, @Aaron and @KJCoin (and a golf clap for myself) for volunteering to cover this long weekend.  It was a lot of hours, and in several cases we did not have extra coverage for lunches and potty breaks.  You guys made some big sacrifices to make it happen this weekend!  Thanks again, so very much, for all your hard work.

Our final results for the weekend as tallied is a grand total of 81 unique new Extra-Life sign-ups!  Unfortunately, I know of at least one person who chose a Virginia hospital, but in general we made some big progress for our local hospital, Johns Hopkins Children's Center!  That's approximately 3 sign-ups per hour for each hour our table/booth was open at the event.  Since on average for each sign up results in $100 raised, we can approximate that our efforts this weekend raised $8000 for our local hospital.  Great job, guys!

The best practice for events, as published in the Guild Handbook, is to seek events that would average 10 sign-ups per hour.  I personally am not confident that potential exists at Gamescape; Artscape is a very, very large event but the total visitors through the Gamescape space were a small percentage of the total turnout, and were not limited to our target demographic.  We could also potentially improve our sign-ups per hour by reducing our total staffing/"open" hours at the event and concentrating them for the times with the highest foot traffic.  That said, for our first time tabling the event I think we did a lot of things right and we clearly still made an impact!

If you volunteered this weekend, please fill out the post-event survey I created at the link below.  We want to ensure you are having the best possible volunteer experience, and that we are getting the most out of every event that we ask you to participate in.

http://goo.gl/forms/NIsug3vxDI1BGdT53

Please feel free to reply to this post to further discuss the event, our results, and what we should focus on for next time.  Thanks again, everyone!

• Like 2

Thanks again to everyone who came out this weekend! You guys did an awesome job. 81 people registered is still almost a 50% boost to our total registered participants! In the future I think Sarah's suggestion of finding peak times to have the table manned at Gamescape instead of having someone there all the time makes sense. 81 people registered is awesome and I think having a presence at Gamescape can still be beneficial, but we don't need to staff it like we would a more focused event. Hopefully we'll be able to get even bigger turnarounds for Otakon (which I may actually end up being able to help table) and Baltimore Comic Con.

Thanks for being awesome, guys, and keep up the good work!

I filled out the survey ^_^ I thought the event was a huge success! The prize wheel was/is such a nice addition to the table! I'm really looking forward to our next event!