flameboyNE

So is there even a meeting this week?

Last month meeting was arranged super late and the previous was just a google hangout, I wanted to check if one is happening and where it will be, as were are approaching the third Thursday of the month. It's really inconvenient to leave people hanging and waiting, we don't all have the advantage of living right downtown, whereabouts downtown can make a big difference to any necessary arrangements to leave work early etc...

Also were there any minutes from the last meeting? I've gone back through my emails and all I can find is the general Extra Life email for the month of May. It's a little disheartening that after the great launch we saw we've got a President who doesn't even seem to come in here and a general lack of information from the rest of team.

So far, we're discussing if there is a need for a meeting for this month. Seeing as we're still waiting on Fan Expo to reply to us and the other venues don't have anything else for us, there's nothing new that we can give to the Guild. We also want to make sure that these events are worth our while and that they won't be given to us in the last minute. Especially since we know we'll have low participation and to make sure that the same people who are consistent with volunteering won't burn out. 

We want to have definite confirmed plans and events before we call a meeting or even a hangout so we don't repeat what's been said for the last several months. 

As for the minutes, we haven't sent that out because we wanted to have definitive numbers and results instead of 'what ifs' along with the new logo. So we apologize that they haven't been sent out, and we will get on that. 

But the minutes should be a recap of what was discussed....not the follow up results, the results can be sent on at a later date once confirmed. Besides that the logo was released 2 weeks ago!

Shouldn't the meetings or at very least hangouts be intended to foster discussion around other events? Simply waiting on just Fan Expo seems very short sighted...for example there is a GBC Game Jam this weekend that says it will have an Arcade and Social aspect we could have had a table there but likely missed the boat. I would have thought by looking at the Guild handbook it's the role of leadership team to be scoping out multiple events. As much as anything the meetings are also a chance to get the social side of things up and running another part we are completely lacking in up to this point.

EDIT:

I'd like to point out I get it everyone has lives etc... but it's very frustrating that we just don't hear anything! Would it have done any harm to send out a quick email saying "hey no meeting this month due to XYZ and we are following up on this and that" instead I've had to come on and ask.

• Like 1

I feel like a little forgiveness is needed since, as you understand, everyone has lives. This guild is still a work in progress and people are still feeling out their roles as well as managing their own day to day.

If you're feeling you're missing out on discussion, the forums are a great tool we've been given to help share ideas and promote that discussion between monthly meetings. Not everyone has an omnipotent eye to all the events around Toronto and surrounding areas so if there are any opportunities you feel that can be explored, speak up! Waiting until monthly meetings to mention them may be too late. The guild is open to a lot of different ideas, so share!

You can also be your own advocate for Extra-Life in your own community, because that's what we all were before forming a guild. I know in my own situation, being up in Barrie, I'm trying to find events with local gaming shops to help spread the word and awareness. There's the elevator pitch for Extra-Life and I'm sure if you ask the guild can provide you with some other resources if you need them.

Keep positive and stay patient. It'll all work out. :)

Elevator_Speech_(30_Second_Pitch)_2015.pdf

• Like 2

22 hours ago, flameboyNE said:

Last month meeting was arranged super late and the previous was just a google hangout, I wanted to check if one is happening and where it will be, as were are approaching the third Thursday of the month. It's really inconvenient to leave people hanging and waiting, we don't all have the advantage of living right downtown, whereabouts downtown can make a big difference to any necessary arrangements to leave work early etc...

Also were there any minutes from the last meeting? I've gone back through my emails and all I can find is the general Extra Life email for the month of May. It's a little disheartening that after the great launch we saw we've got a President who doesn't even seem to come in here and a general lack of information from the rest of team.

Sorry for the lack of information. As Aileen said, we haven't been able to finalize details on our next meeting. We were discussing doing a google hangout again. If attending an in-person meeting is a challenge for many we may do more online discussion. After all, Toronto spans a larger area than many other guilds so thats a relatively unique problem we have. You should certainly keep the feedback coming though. We want to hear everybody's feedback and the more voices we have involved, the better! We've heard from a couple of other members that they're far out of the downtown core but finding a meeting place and times that work for everyone can be tricky if not impossible. If online meetings are the solution then we'll go that route, and have in-person hangouts on the side so we can socialize.

We also haven't had much to update on since our last guild meeting. There is a lot waiting on email back-and-forth and a lot of people have been distracted by E3.

We hear you loud and clear though. We're still a fairly new guild and we'll prioritize sorting out better communication and make sure you're all in the loop. Apologies for neglecting to send out minutes from our previous meeting too. I'll sort that out too. I'm not sure how it got neglected. 

10 hours ago, flameboyNE said:

But the minutes should be a recap of what was discussed....not the follow up results, the results can be sent on at a later date once confirmed. Besides that the logo was released 2 weeks ago!

Shouldn't the meetings or at very least hangouts be intended to foster discussion around other events? Simply waiting on just Fan Expo seems very short sighted...for example there is a GBC Game Jam this weekend that says it will have an Arcade and Social aspect we could have had a table there but likely missed the boat. I would have thought by looking at the Guild handbook it's the role of leadership team to be scoping out multiple events. As much as anything the meetings are also a chance to get the social side of things up and running another part we are completely lacking in up to this point.

EDIT:

I'd like to point out I get it everyone has lives etc... but it's very frustrating that we just don't hear anything! Would it have done any harm to send out a quick email saying "hey no meeting this month due to XYZ and we are following up on this and that" instead I've had to come on and ask.

I do agree with some of your points for sure (especially regarding the minutes, those should be more for record keeping and keeping people posted).  I just wanted to add with regards to GBC game jam because it's a new, developer-centric event, I think it's okay that we wait to see how that one plays out especially if it ends up being just another networking jam of the same group of devs in Toronto.  I think reaching out to devleopers is absolutely worthwhile, but better to reach them at gameplay specific events rather than game jam events.  That's just my opinion, however, I have done jams in the past and if the games are shown to the public immediately after, people are often pretty dead.  However if there is an organized arcade at a later date and it's not networking-specific or a part of judging/competition, that's probably the ideal situation and that would be best to reach out to the organizers about.  

In case people missed the email the meeting has been cancelled this month. 

I'm hoping to help start a few brainstorming threads on here to get some ideas flowing 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 6:32 PM, Descrier said:

You can also be your own advocate for Extra-Life in your own community, because that's what we all were before forming a guild. I know in my own situation, being up in Barrie, I'm trying to find events with local gaming shops to help spread the word and awareness. There's the elevator pitch for Extra-Life and I'm sure if you ask the guild can provide you with some other resources if you need them.

Hey Everyone!

If Toronto Guild members are having trouble all connecting due to geography, I wanted to make sure you all knew that CMN Canada is located in Woodbridge at HWY 7 & Weston, and our doors are open to you should you want to host a GTA remote meeting linking in to Toronto. Acknowledging that Toronto is the largest market with a Guild in Canada, we know that there are going to be pain points as the Guild develops and grows.  I hope you all know we are here if that makes sense logistically, and we also have free parking!  Win! 

Thank you all for your commitment and energy to Extra Life; we are so appreciative to you all for this commitment and we hope that you will share with us how we can help you develop and grow. Please feel free to reach out any time for assistance.

Laurie

lwenzel@childrensmiraclenetwork.ca

905 265 9750 x221

• Like 4

That would be amazing thanks Laurie! (much closer to me and I'm often in Woodbridge!)