May Meeting Notes - Springfield-Holyoke, MA - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content

May Meeting

IMPORTANT: we regret to inform that George will be stepping down as Guild President. For the time being TJ and Dean will be taking responsibility until a new President is appointed.

Ideas:

-We are looking into working with other guilds to split costs at cons

-We plan to speak with extra life about making the guild pages easier to navigate

-TJ is reaching out to the Boston guild about setting up an event at Boston Comic Con

-we will be communicating with Baystate and extra life to discuss our resources

-we want to look into the topaticon event, look for volunteers to man a table

-we need to find an event to attend in december

Community Planning:

-we’ve made a facebook group on facebook called extra life springfield guild. We want to use that to send updates to everyone https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417813231578295/

-until the guilds presence grows larger we felt it would be good to continue to have meetings through hangouts for the time being. We will plan an in person meeting every few months.

Hey Guys..  @DJ_Sleeveless @themightytej

Just a little something about the FB Group. 

They are actaully working to eventually take us off of Facebook and have all guild communication on the community. 

I'm not saying to cancel the group, however, if you guys are going to use it:

1) Please make it a Closed Group. (Members need to be approved by a admin of the grouop)

2) Use this forum as the means to all updates. 

2a) You can post the link to the update in the facebook group, so that it drives your guild traffic here. 

2b) Encourage all comments to be on the fourm post and not on the Facebook group. 

3) Keep in mind that eventually they will look to have us move away from Facebook entirely

4) Encourage all your guildies to create a community profile. 

this has been frustrating for me thus far, they want us to use the guild for communication but theres almost no good way to communicate on here. EL needs to make it so its super easy to find guild pages and guild forums. There should be a link on the guild page that brings you to your guilds forum posts but as of right now, if you want to navigate to the forums posted by your guild, you have to to go this round about way. click on recents then navigate backwards. most users stop searching for something after 2-3 mouse clicks, this isnt a good set up. 

also i think there should be an actual membership process. Theres no way to associate yourself with a guild so you don't get updates. they want people to navigate away from facebook but then thats another thing people need to manage and maintain. that will be frustrating for some. 

maybe im the only one that feels this way, im not sure. but i hope that EL hear's my cries and responds lol. 

• Like 1

Hey @DJ_Sleeveless I'm sorry it's been a tough experience for you. Losing a guild president is especially hard to work with.

So, the guild front page is http://community.extra-life.org/springfield-ma/ right? When I navigate there on my desktop browser I see a description of the guild, list of executives (which needs to be updated now) and a couple ways to get to the forums here. One is a link right in the description. Another is a list of recent forum posts on the right-hand side of the page. It also has upcoming events there and links to downloadable resources.

To check if it were a mobile issue I just went to the page on my iPhone and all that info is there as well.

As for not being able to receive updates, you certainly can! Of course you have to be signed in on the site, which shouldn't be an issue. Then go to the root page for your guild's forum (http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/112-springfield-holyoke-ma/) and click on the follow button! On desktop you'll be able to specify how you get updates. It'll even email you with every new post if you want!

I hope this helps. i know @stodd.ELBoston will chime in too and hopefully between us we can solve your issues!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sean Rooney said:

Hey @DJ_Sleeveless I'm sorry it's been a tough experience for you. Losing a guild president is especially hard to work with.

So, the guild front page is http://community.extra-life.org/springfield-ma/ right? When I navigate there on my desktop browser I see a description of the guild, list of executives (which needs to be updated now) and a couple ways to get to the forums here. One is a link right in the description. Another is a list of recent forum posts on the right-hand side of the page. It also has upcoming events there and links to downloadable resources.

To check if it were a mobile issue I just went to the page on my iPhone and all that info is there as well.

As for not being able to receive updates, you certainly can! Of course you have to be signed in on the site, which shouldn't be an issue. Then go to the root page for your guild's forum (http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/112-springfield-holyoke-ma/) and click on the follow button! On desktop you'll be able to specify how you get updates. It'll even email you with every new post if you want!

I hope this helps. i know @stodd.ELBoston will chime in too and hopefully between us we can solve your issues!

Thanks @Sean Rooney.  

I don't think I need to add anything else to what Sean has said as for as the locations of where to find and how to get updates.  He laid it all out. 

The only thing I will add is that, yes, this is an area that we all as Guild Leaders have as a challenge. 

EL has heard all of the concerns about utilizing the forums as the main source of communications.

(And they continue to listen to feedback on the community, and look to make it easier and better for all of us to use this community to do our work) 

That is why we have what we have now, and why this is a more integrated version of the community, with an app that allows you to follow and get you updates on youir mobile device. 

(If you haven't installed Tapatalk on your phones and set up the community on the app, i suggest you guys do. The calendar links do not work in Tapatalk, but all the forum updates do.)

There is a high unwillingness to adapt to the community site.  Mostly because the general concensus is "We're all already on Facebook, why not just keep using that?"

The biggest reason is, Facebook chooses for you what it wants to you see. Based on your like button, it omits even your Most Recent feed and only mostly poulates it with people and pages that you tend to like.  So if you're guildies aren't liking items from the Group or the leaders, they may not even see the updates on the Guild Group page. 

Its "6 of one, half dozen of the other", but if you can get your guildies to sign up and set up their subscription to the Springfield Guild Forum, and Tapatalk, they won't miss anything, unless they choose to.. ;) 

Thats also why we suggust posting the actual post in the community, and then posting the link to that thread in your Facebook Guild page. 

That, for the most part, will give you the greatest chance of your guildies, seeing and interacting. 

@DJ_Sleeveless Hopethis helps a bit and if you guys want to group message about it we can always start a DM between all of us as well. 

• Like 1

As it stands right now, the Facebook page is primarily a tool for comfort and ease.  I am fine with phasing people over to completely using this site, but in the meantime, we post an event on here and no one knows about it.  This will take some time, especially since our guild doesn't yet have an established community, and I hope that Extra Life is willing to accommodate this fact.

2 minutes ago, themightytej said:

As it stands right now, the Facebook page is primarily a tool for comfort and ease.  I am fine with phasing people over to completely using this site, but in the meantime, we post an event on here and no one knows about it.  This will take some time, especially since our guild doesn't yet have an established community, and I hope that Extra Life is willing to accommodate this fact.

Believe me, the feeling is understandable, however, that is what I referred to in my original point (2) below.

If you post it here then post the link in the facebook group, it will drive the traffic to the community, thus making your guildies aware of the community site.

It's also on you guys as leader to remind your guilds of the community and try to get them envolved there. 

As Leaders, it all starts with you guys, if you show that you are using the commmunity site the guildies will come here to get the info. 

2) Use this forum as the means to all updates. 

2a) You can post the link to the update in the facebook group, so that it drives your guild traffic here. 

2b) Encourage all comments to be on the fourm post and not on the Facebook group.