Forum tips and tricks - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Mike

Forum tips and tricks

Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a super quick tip that will allow you to get notifications when people post here.  Towards the top right, there's a button that says "Follow."  Click that and you can customize your settings, but by default, you should get an email any time someone posts here.  Just an easy way to keep you from forgetting to check the forums. :)

Edited by Sean Rooney
Make for a more generalized topic
  • Like 3

Hey Mike, this is a great tip that deserves to be shared with everyone on the forums - not just in your guild!

I'm moving it to the general area.

• Like 3

Come to think of it, let's make this a tips and tricks thread!

Next thing to note would be if you are on mobile, I highly recommend the Tapatalk app! It integrates well and allows you to set up notifications, have easy access to your most-used subforums, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tapatalk-discussions-chat/id307880732?mt=8

• Like 2

Any other tips? Here's a simple one: edit your signature!

You can let people know a lot about you in one or two short lines. Mine links to both my blog and my donation page - and maybe after posting this tip I'll go add my Twitter and Twitch accounts too!

Simply go to your settings page and click on signature. Or click here: http://community.extra-life.org/settings/signature/

There is one that I can't figure out. How do I, or can I, adjust the "Member" status. Where does that come from?

6 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

There is one that I can't figure out. How do I, or can I, adjust the "Member" status. Where does that come from?

I think it's assigned on the back end automatically - though if you're only a member and others with far fewer posts and reputation points are senior members, not sure if it's broken or not!

• Like 1

Just now, Sean Rooney said:

I think it's assigned on the back end automatically - though if you're only a member and others with far fewer posts and reputation points are senior members, not sure if it's broken or not!

Yeah, not that it matters really, I was just curious. I noticed Mike has "Senior Member" title and I just have "Member". A little title envy, that's all. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, the member status is baffling to me too! All I know is, I was a "member", then I was a "senior member", and now I'm a "Veteran member". Maybe it's tied to your join date or how many years you've done Extra Life? I too am curious what the criteria are.

• Like 2

I thought the member title thingy had to do with how many posts you make on the forums. 

2 minutes ago, Zyaldar said:

I thought the member title thingy had to do with how many posts you make on the forums. 

I thought so too, but looking at my posts vs. the amazing @K8Morosky, you would think I would be a veteran. :(

3 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

I thought so too, but looking at my posts vs. the amazing @K8Morosky, you would think I would be a veteran. :(

Maybe where you are sitting at there's an oversight? I dunno for sure but I bet there is a way to edit the roles. At least you got the fancy Stream Team Lead title :D

• Like 1

On 6/6/2016 at 3:09 PM, Zyaldar said:

As with all things back end... I am sure it is a plethora of cool formulas; and I tend to think that along with the amount of posts that, if your posts get "likes" that increases your status more quickly.  As for negative impacts the "reported" posts would be a detriment to your title and lower you back down the ladder.  Of course if we get the skinny on how it is done then everyone would be "Stupendous Epic Veteran Member" all over the boards! :) 

/thinking Or maybe it calculates the number of smiley faces on your post to increase your standing! 

I have followed many things...and I have yet to receive emails or notifications about them...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When you hover over the follow button (I think), you should get a drop down menu that allows you to go into the follow options.  You can set specifics, such as emailing you any time new content is posted.  I'm not at a computer at the moment, but I'll confirm how to do it when I get back to my desk. :)

I'm guessing we never did figure out the magic behind the member status.. Still sitting at junior member *sigh* :\ 

Hey everyone, we had a moderators group meeting today and one thing was mentioned that belongs in the tips section here.

So I made a video showing it off.

Basically that search bar in the top right is pretty versatile.

• Like 3