Akron Streaming FAQs & Tips - Akron, OH - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
LifeSalubrity

Akron Streaming FAQs & Tips

Chat here about your questions or tips for streaming for our local members!

Edited by LifeSalubrity
*Repurposed this thread based on the conversation :)

I'm down. Since i am apparently now, the most active, in streams. With connections to larp organizations, and the event info for a ton of various game events, in and out of game. Would just need a little time and work, to figure out what is going on online, that we can use. But i will try my best..

• Like 1

I'd be open to help on the marketing/outreach side.  I've done a lot of stuff as far as putting together personal stories/blogs about my experience with the hospital (The "Why I Extra Life" piece for example), so I'm always willing to do more writing and all that fine stuff.  

Plus I've been looking for an excuse to learn Illustrator so yeah.  

• Like 1

I recently had planned to make an outreach to a local business, here in salem. I remembered that my newly reopened Salem Twin Cinema, is now hosting Super Smash Bros tournaments on a ...Bi...monthly occasion. On the movie screen, supposedly. Next one is on the 21st this month. Was going to pop in, early, and speak to the owner/Ex Manager, about possibly becoming affiliated with Extra Life, as they are now a private owned organization, instead of a franchise. Maybe see if i can set up a booth, with my table, and laptop, and stream the tournament, while signing up families and taking donations. Possibly do some more crochet item sales, with proceeds going to Extra Life. If i'm lucky, maybe they'll consider x% of concessions sold, during their gaming weekends, as donations. I don't know. But i will keep in touch on how things go.

Edit: Not suggesting the % of gaming weekend sales, in donations. Obviously i understand the best way to get a donation, is not to make suggestions; unless strictly asked for ideas. Just extending possibly circumstances and outcomes.

• Like 2

I'd like to speak to this JAKE, as well. As i just started streaming, and have already recorded over 1,000 hours of gameplay. But still have no viewers. I believe i had things set up well, with plenty of information. Explaining how donation buttons work, and which ones are strictly for extra life, and twitch support. As well as loyalty free music, etc. All within the guidelines of twitch. Was trying to upgrade my stream software to a full license, so i could have follow/sub/donation notifications, and use my Extra Life stream border. But being an Asia based company, my bank rejected payment like 20 times. When funds permit, next month, i will contact my bank, and allow it through. But i would like to figure out how to set up the notifications part, once i get upgraded. Also could use a bit of help, on how to get viewers, keep viewers, etc. I've done streams from First play throughs, to Throwback thursdays, to Mmos, competitive plays, and on Sunday, will start a Trove Chill day. Where i just build casually, while conversing with the stream in real time. As a lot of my previous games have been very, attention dedicated, to reply to twitch chat actively. Weekends would be my games that are relaxed, anyone can join in on, and i can sit down and talk to people directly about what we do here. More like a Talk show, style of interaction. Rather then playing for hours, passively commenting on chat once in a great while. I don't talk much right now, let alone use my cam. As i have no viewers, and feel odd talking to just myself lol.

I got a faster reply, then expected. Salem Twin Cinema, has agreed to allow us to set up a table/registration booth, every 3rd saturday of every month. Which is their game days. A local youth group started it, and the managers believe it would be big hit with them, and the cinema staff. The owner, will look into it, as no one has heard of Extra Life. But will consider becoming a local business that supports Extra Life Akron. Saturday, May 21st, is this months event. It's on my home street. So i will set up my table, and laptop for registrations. The staff has also agreed to set up flyers/posters. So i will need a large order of the Trifold flyers, and possibly one Large poster. To set up a display permanently at their location. I'll give them my contact information, should they need to replenish the flyers, or have further questions. Anything i can't answer, i have fowarded to our site.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Dj-Sparky said:

I got a faster reply, then expected. Salem Twin Cinema, has agreed to allow us to set up a table/registration booth, every 3rd saturday of every month. Which is their game days. A local youth group started it, and the managers believe it would be big hit with them, and the cinema staff. The owner, will look into it, as no one has heard of Extra Life. But will consider becoming a local business that supports Extra Life Akron. Saturday, May 21st, is this months event. It's on my home street. So i will set up my table, and laptop for registrations. The staff has also agreed to set up flyers/posters. So i will need a large order of the Trifold flyers, and possibly one Large poster. To set up a display permanently at their location. I'll give them my contact information, should they need to replenish the flyers, or have further questions. Anything i can't answer, i have fowarded to our site.

Hi Sparky!  This is GREAT!  Thank you for taking the initiative.  How would you like us to get flyers to you?

I'm not sure, really. I was thinking about that, I'm extremely tight on money right now. So i have no gas money. Takes about a quarter tank, to round trip Akron area. I have doc appointments this month, and with truck repairs, every last dime has been budgeted. I wouldn't do mail, as we can't expect it to get here in time. Nor would i expect anyone to pay for shipping. So i'm at a loss for idea's. I don't think anyone will be able to help with an event, here in Salem. As we are, seemingly, the only out of town members. Otherwise, i would have who ever is coming down, bring them. So your guess, is as good as mine, right now. I'd like to get a large poster/display for Akron childrens/Extra Life. To put up in the background, or on the table. With a stack of flyers and pamphlets. I know last minute events, are the hardest to get setup, and more so, when they aren't local to Akron. So i apologize for the difficulty, and sudden scheduling of this event.

@Dj-Sparky it can take a while to build and audience.  You need to be in the mix for a while and you need to promote yourself.  Lots of folks take to social media to do so.  You may want to chat with @Daddywarrbux for some advice and check out the stream tips and tricks section.

I'd be willing to help with having a Guild "Stream Team".  I know @Terrul, @Daddywarrbux, @dmpaskiet, @Dj-Sparky, and several others stream.  We could come up with a schedule.  Extra Life also has their own Stream team, of which Mr. @Daddywarrbux is a part of.  Not sure if they are building on that at the moment or not, though.

I would. However, the extra life stream team, is not welcoming to new streamers. The rules on the forums specifically states, new streamers aren't welcome. As they want people with X amount of experience, to even be considered for the official stream team. So i went solo, and taught myself everything, so far. From info set up, how to do it, and troubleshooting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dj-Sparky said:

I would. However, the extra life stream team, is not welcoming to new streamers. The rules on the forums specifically states, new streamers aren't welcome. As they want people with X amount of experience, to even be considered for the official stream team. So i went solo, and taught myself everything, so far. From info set up, how to do it, and troubleshooting.

Right, which is understandable. But they are a great resource for Live Streaming tips. 

On 5/14/2016 at 6:54 PM, Dj-Sparky said:

that isnt entirely accurate as in the original post it is stated:  

" A large following isn’t required, but being entertaining is.  While we understand many of you may want to ‘get into streaming’ we aren’t looking for first timers. We want a core group that know their way around a stream and the Extra Life program. Fair warning, we will review videos of past streams of all applicants.

so newer streamers are accepted as long as they are willing to put up a professional/well produced stream (as subjective as that is) 

More importantly though, the Stream Team wasn't taking on new members as the community was still trying to cope with the management shake up... at which point I'd like to point you at this post from today: 

On 5/14/2016 at 6:52 PM, CAWZY said:

@Dj-Sparky it can take a while to build and audience.  You need to be in the mix for a while and you need to promote yourself.  Lots of folks take to social media to do so.  You may want to chat with @Daddywarrbux for some advice and check out the stream tips and tricks section.

I'd be willing to help with having a Guild "Stream Team".  I know @Terrul, @Daddywarrbux, @dmpaskiet, @Dj-Sparky, and several others stream.  We could come up with a schedule.  Extra Life also has their own Stream team, of which Mr. @Daddywarrbux is a part of.  Not sure if they are building on that at the moment or not, though.

I do an extra life stream on the last saturday of every month. maybe we could do alternating weekends for something simple and more flexible at the start? IE, first weekend is Cawzy, then dave, etc.

• Like 1

Right now, i stream everyday.. Nearly 10-12 hours at a time. I have a lot of free time.

@Daddywarrbux For the Extra Life stream, specifically what format did you have in mind?  I know some streams mention Extra Life X amount of times during the stream and have a specific overlay and what not.  Is that kind of what you're talking about?

I have the overlay, from the Kit. But until i get paid in June, i can't upgrade my stream license, to use overlays
. Was denying my payment method, because my bank isn't set up, yet, to accept foreign countries business. With Split Media Labs being an Asia based country. I have to contact my bank, when i get paid next. Then i'll be using the Extra Life Overlay. This week, every stream, i have commentated, and have mentioned Extra Life before middle, and after.

I have the install folder for OBS, but when i unpacked this new laptop. It came with an unlimited recording license, of xsplit. But the license i have, doesn't include Overlays, show twitch chat in stream, or follower/donation notifications. Didn't have a setup at all, was pre-set up, just needed to be linked to a youtube or twitch. I've been using that for about 2 weeks, just installed Xsplit Broadcaster, which is like OBS. With all the seperate Scene buttons. Trying to learn its set up, since i hear you can use it to record desktop. For when i get my equipment set up, for a Mix Monday, or something. So i can stream Ableton live, and Serato DJ Controller. But i will continue to consider OBS as a back up. Just have gotten so spoiled on the easy setup and run of Gamecaster.

• Like 1

Eh, i'm looking at OBS right now. While it's great to have overlay options, and all the customizable settings.. There is no in-game overlay. I can't start/stop stream, preview stream, see or reply to twitch chat. I can't even see if it works or not, as Game Capture under Preview Stream, shows as black when alt tabbed. I am a laptop streamer, so i get the feeling that OBS is more for people with multiple windows. I feel detached, not having anything ingame during a stream. Xsplit can show how long i've been live, as well as a Live indictator and resolution quality. So i know when it disconnects, or hasn't started yet. Granted, in the shift+Tab overlay lags a bit in game, once in awhile. But at least it's there, so i don't have to alt tab constantly. I don't even think OBS can support alt tabbing. I don't want the desktop constantly popping up, should i need to check info off-game. In Xsplit, it automatically posts a default or custom BRB image, when i alt tab.

8 hours ago, Dj-Sparky said:

I have the overlay, from the Kit. But until i get paid in June, i can't upgrade my stream license, to use overlays
. Was denying my payment method, because my bank isn't set up, yet, to accept foreign countries business. With Split Media Labs being an Asia based country. I have to contact my bank, when i get paid next. Then i'll be using the Extra Life Overlay. This week, every stream, i have commentated, and have mentioned Extra Life before middle, and after.

use obs, its free and you can use whatever you want :D

2 hours ago, Dj-Sparky said:

Eh, i'm looking at OBS right now. While it's great to have overlay options, and all the customizable settings.. There is no in-game overlay. I can't start/stop stream, preview stream, see or reply to twitch chat. I can't even see if it works or not, as Game Capture under Preview Stream, shows as black when alt tabbed. I am a laptop streamer, so i get the feeling that OBS is more for people with multiple windows. I feel detached, not having anything ingame during a stream. Xsplit can show how long i've been live, as well as a Live indictator and resolution quality. So i know when it disconnects, or hasn't started yet. Granted, in the shift+Tab overlay lags a bit in game, once in awhile. But at least it's there, so i don't have to alt tab constantly. I don't even think OBS can support alt tabbing. I don't want the desktop constantly popping up, should i need to check info off-game. In Xsplit, it automatically posts a default or custom BRB image, when i alt tab.

you have to add the scene in obs first, then add the monitor capture. you can do all the things you listed you just have to get familiar with the program. If you need I'll help however i  can :) 

On 5/17/2016 at 11:50 PM, CAWZY said:

@Daddywarrbux For the Extra Life stream, specifically what format did you have in mind?  I know some streams mention Extra Life X amount of times during the stream and have a specific overlay and what not.  Is that kind of what you're talking about?

I don't have anything in mind, I was just throwing some things out there. From experience it is really hard to adhere to a weekly schedule as (I think) most of us have jobs and families that tend to conflict with the time slot. Also as far as set overlays I dont know. The official stream team requires you to use the Extra Life overlay, but in my experience it almost seems better NOT to use it on your personal channel.  It's very large and takes a lot of retail space on your screen, often times blocking game elements and I've been able to draw in more people just doing my own thing. I have my nightbot set to promote Extra life every 60 minutes, which often times promotes a discussion from viewers unfamiliar with it. I also like to use my dedicated Extra Life stream to do things like giveaways and whatnot to drum up some money.  last month I ate some disgusting ass beans, this month I'm waxing ...something lol 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daddywarrbux said:

I don't have anything in mind, I was just throwing some things out there. From experience it is really hard to adhere to a weekly schedule as (I think) most of us have jobs and families that tend to conflict with the time slot. Also as far as set overlays I dont know. The official stream team requires you to use the Extra Life overlay, but in my experience it almost seems better NOT to use it on your personal channel.  It's very large and takes a lot of retail space on your screen, often times blocking game elements and I've been able to draw in more people just doing my own thing. I have my nightbot set to promote Extra life every 60 minutes, which often times promotes a discussion from viewers unfamiliar with it. I also like to use my dedicated Extra Life stream to do things like giveaways and whatnot to drum up some money.  last month I ate some disgusting ass beans, this month I'm waxing ...something lol 

Ouch....yeah I have to wax something if I reach $1000.  I understand on the weekly schedule.  I have one, but I limit it to only 2 or 3 days and that is all dependent on family. #FamilyFirst.  

• Like 1

Great hussle on the local stream team idea. A regularly scheduled stream can do a whole lot to help your registration numbers and has the added benefit of helping other guilds as well. For example, before Puerto Rico had enough Extra Lifers to start their own guild, a few of the most active players ran a daily twitch stream with each other and basically earned themselves a guild from how effectively they spread the word. Keep up the awesome work on this.

A little feedback on the main topic of this thread though: Be careful about dedicating too many resources on things like giveaways. Stats show that while giveaways and contests can provide a boost of sign ups, the number of those folks who actually go home and activate their accounts is actually quite low. (I can speak from experience on that. :S) Consider focusing more on low cost impact items. For example, a welcome pack with more detailed information, a thank you note from your guild, an Extra Life pin, some candy, and/or a promotional item like a jelly bracelet from your hospital. Relatively inexpensive in that it's mostly produced in house, weeds out folks just looking for a freebie, and has a longer lasting impact in promoting the cause. :)

• Like 1

I'd like to apply for the Stream Team, to possibly get a time slot on the Official Twitch page. Right now, i have a tendancy to stream from 4-11 hours, per session. So i can amend my hours a bit, for a short session, based on schedule. I can configure my Scene 3, with the overlay, once again. To use specifically for Stream team hours. I could really use the followers/viewers. So i am trying to put myself out there, for any hosting, to bolster my numbers a bit. Not sure where i go to apply, or where to see the stream slots available. So any info will be appreciated.

20 hours ago, Dj-Sparky said:

I'd like to apply for the Stream Team, to possibly get a time slot on the Official Twitch page. Right now, i have a tendancy to stream from 4-11 hours, per session. So i can amend my hours a bit, for a short session, based on schedule. I can configure my Scene 3, with the overlay, once again. To use specifically for Stream team hours. I could really use the followers/viewers. So i am trying to put myself out there, for any hosting, to bolster my numbers a bit. Not sure where i go to apply, or where to see the stream slots available. So any info will be appreciated.

Awesome! To apply, go to this thread and click the link under "How to Apply". Be sure to review the whole post as there are a number of rules to make sure your stream is consistent with the message of Extra Life and you can check out all the open slots at this link here!

Yup, thats the same post i read previously. I don't meet the requirements. I'm not a pro streamer, but have streamed for over 100+ hours. I have no followers that are not fellow extra lifers, so i haven't got the experience interacting with my viewers, yet. On the active side, i am over qualified, but the experience part; i do not. This is also only my second month, in Extra Life. I've registered, and discussed EL with many people in person, but i am by no means; experienced or well versed in EL. I was told the rules changed a bit, when leadership of the Stream Team changed. But i guess it wasn't enough. I suppose i will apply in another 6mo to a year.. :/ Was just hoping being hosted on the official EL, would increase my viewer numbers, to give me people to interact with. I'll continue with my 8-12 hour streams on my own.