Scarlet

Extra Life at CHEO Telethon - June 4-5, 2016

Every year, a 24-hour fundraising event is held to raise money to help sick kids and their families who utilize the services at CHEO. This event is the CHEO Telethon, broadcast each year on CTV - hold up, did you think I was talking about Extra Life? Well, this year, Extra Life is joining up with the CHEO Telethon and we're getting our game on early at the EY Centre!

That's right, the Ottawa Extra Life guild is looking for dedicated gamers of all persuasions to join us for 24 hours of gaming fun at the EY Centre during the CHEO Telethon! Consider it a practice run for Game Day, if you will!

Have you got what it takes to game for 24 hours, knowing that your Hour 20 mugshot might end up on live television?

We're still working out some of the logistics of our event, but we're anticipating room for approximately 20-25 people to help show Ottawa what Extra Life is all about. We'll have couches and consoles, computer stations waiting for your beast of a PC, the most perfect tabletops for intense Carcassonne sessions or pen and paper campaigns... If you want to play, we'll do what we can to help! Let's turn this into a discussion about what kinds of games you would want to do during the telethon, and what you would need to be comfortable for a marathon of Extra Life proportions!

So when exactly is the Telethon?

Gaming Setup - Saturday, June 4th:

4:30 PM - 6:30 PM

Telethon - Saturday, June 4th to  Sunday, June 5th:

7:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Clean up - Sunday, June 5th:

7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

So, with that all out of the way - will you join us? Are you a veteran Extra Lifer that wants to join us in gaming up a storm? Are you new to Extra Life and want to game with a group just as enthusiastic as you are? A word of warning - Though our area is not anticipated to be directly filmed, participants may be involved in the 2015 Extra Life cheque presentation or interviews, which will be shown on LIVE TELEVISON. We are also planning on streaming our side of the event live on Twitch.TV. This event is not for the camera-shy among us.

Please respond to this post, or send me a message, and let us know if you want to participate. At this time, everybody who participates is expected to stay for the duration of the event - barring unforeseen circumstances, of course. There will be food available (more information to come later), and we will confirm shortly regarding personal snacks/drinks. All participants must be already registered for Extra Life 2016 - as Community accounts are not directly linked to your fundraising page, I will be contacting everybody who is confirmed to be attending to find their account. This is so that we can accurately track the fundraising of participants during the telethon while we discuss our initiative live on TV! 

Come on! Get your game on!

TL;DR : 24 Hour CHEO Telethon = 24 Hour Extra Life event! What do you want to play? What do you need to make this a fun, successful weekend?

• Like 2

Hey, Im new to Extra Life but would love to make a difference for sick kids in the area doing something i love. Gaming! Needless to say if I can participate in any way please let me know.  

• Like 1

Awesome idea gang! Please post a new thread about it in the main area of the forums a couple days before the big event, make sure you include the link to your Twitch stream and I suspect a bunch of fellow Extra Lifers will help promote it for you!

Also I'm totally going to suggest this to my guild-mates in Calgary. The radiothon there is usually in February so it'd be a great time to interest new people!

• Like 2

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎15 at 3:32 PM, CoEx said:

Hey, Im new to Extra Life but would love to make a difference for sick kids in the area doing something i love. Gaming! Needless to say if I can participate in any way please let me know.  

Hi there CoEx! Welcome to the group! We'd love to have you join us at the Telethon. If you didn't already know, we'll be having our monthly meeting tonight at the Blurry Pixel. We'll be discussing the Telethon in more detail, and will be taking down names of participants tonight. If you can make it, I highly recommend coming out; if you can't make it, though, send me a PM and I'll make sure to keep you in the loop.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎16 at 0:54 AM, Sean Rooney said:

Awesome idea gang! Please post a new thread about it in the main area of the forums a couple days before the big event, make sure you include the link to your Twitch stream and I suspect a bunch of fellow Extra Lifers will help promote it for you!

Also I'm totally going to suggest this to my guild-mates in Calgary. The radiothon there is usually in February so it'd be a great time to interest new people!

That's a great idea, Sean! I'll make sure we do that!

On 5/2/2016 at 1:16 PM, Scarlet said:

Have you got what it takes to game for 24 hours, knowing that your Hour 20 mugshot might end up on live television?

I live for this moment. It's the non-work related discussion that happens between @Dulcinee and I these days. It might be all I want to talk about at the guild meeting tonight (actually, it's not, but shhh). :D

So i work tell 4 on Saturday and have no way to get to the EY center, is there anyone that is going by the St-Lauren area around that time for the setup 

Hi all! My name is Stephanie and I will be working with Extra Life guilds across Canada moving forward as we approach Game Day in November! I wanted to share about the Telethon/Extra Life partnership that happened here with some colleagues and other guilds... does anyone have pictures to share?? Thank you all and keep up the INCREDIBLE work!