Scarlet

Volunteers Needed for Ottawa Comiccon - May 13-15, 2016

Hello everybody!

We're coming up fast on Ottawa Comiccon, the largest Ottawa-area geeky event of the year™. This is going to be our biggest opportunity to do some recruiting for Extra Life! Do you know what that means?

We’re looking for volunteers once again!

We need a minimum of two more volunteers per day of Ottawa Comiccon to help run our Extra Life booth - this way we have at least 3 people at the booth during our expected peak hours. We have our own booth space this year, Booth 227, and we'll be sitting comfy on a big couch - kicking back, playing games, and spreading the Extra Life word! We have a few transferable passes (daily basis) that our volunteers will be using.

Shifts we’re looking to fill:

Friday, May 13th:

2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
4:00 PM to 8:00 PM

Saturday, May 14th:

11:00 AM to 4:30 PM

12:30 PM to 6:00 PM

Sunday, May 15th:

10:30 AM to 3:00 PM

12:30 PM to 5:00 PM

1:00 PM to 5:30 PM

Please respond to this post, and let us know if you want to volunteer. In your post, tell us the days and the times you are available. We can provide a daily pass to those who are available to help out, but we have a limited number we can provide. If you're available for most of the day, but you just have to go to [insert celebrity photo session here], tell us that too! Volunteering doesn't mean you'll miss out on everything Comiccon has to offer - It means you'll get to enjoy Comiccon AND help out Extra Life! We can definitely move shifts around to make sure everybody has the best weekend possibleTM.

If you have already purchased your tickets and are interested in volunteering, we want your help! If you are able to help out for an hour or two during down times in your schedule, we would love to slot you in. The more people to help out, the more fun everybody gets to have, and the more we are able to engage with the community! Ideally, we will have five people signed up for volunteer shifts on each day. This way, nobody is stuck volunteering for 6+ hours without getting to explore and enjoy Comiccon.

What are our goals?

As of the beginning of May, CHEO had 52 Extra Lifers signed up in support, with a total of $935.00 raised. As we mentioned at the last meeting, our main goal is to increase our participant numbers - every person we register brings in an average of $100 for CHEO! Leading up to Comiccon, try to focus on the "low hanging fruit" - friends, family members, coworkers, anybody who has shown an interest in participating, but just hasn't registered yet. If every member of the guild can get 2-3 people signed up, we'll have doubled the number of participants with 6 months left to go.

Then, add those numbers to the people we hope to recruit at Ottawa Comiccon. Last year, we recruited approximately 200 people during the weekend - this ended up being half of the total people registered for 2015! This year, we have our own booth space and a much larger Extra Life presence. Let's blow last year's numbers out of the water! As with last year, our goal is to engage every single person who comes to the booth, and help them to register right then and there.

So what are you waiting for?!

Kate and I (Ian) would be free to help out this weekend! We can't do the Friday but we're free both Saturday and Sunday all day. In terms of shifts feel free to slot us in where needed on the days we're free. We don't mind doing more than one shift if you end up short on people and preferably we'd like to be on the same shift(s).

ps. Apparently it only takes one failed login attempt to get locked out for 15min on these forums!

12 hours ago, Balefire said:

Kate and I (Ian) would be free to help out this weekend! We can't do the Friday but we're free both Saturday and Sunday all day. In terms of shifts feel free to slot us in where needed on the days we're free. We don't mind doing more than one shift if you end up short on people and preferably we'd like to be on the same shift(s).

ps. Apparently it only takes one failed login attempt to get locked out for 15min on these forums!

Do you two have your own passes, or would you be using ours? If you need passes and want to work the same shift, I could put you both on Sunday from 12:30-5:00! If you have your own passes, I can slot you in to shorter shifts on both Saturday and Sunday :)

10 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Do you two have your own passes, or would you be using ours? If you need passes and want to work the same shift, I could put you both on Sunday from 12:30-5:00! If you have your own passes, I can slot you in to shorter shifts on both Saturday and Sunday :)

Negative on having our own passes. Sunday from 12:30-5 sounds good for the both of us! 

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎06 at 8:56 PM, Balefire said:

Negative on having our own passes. Sunday from 12:30-5 sounds good for the both of us! 

Finally, I can post again! Thanks, forum gurus :)

Can't wait to see you guys on Sunday! If you know anybody who wants to help out, send them our way! We're still looking for volunteers on Friday and Saturday, passes included!

Alright folks, this is it! Ottawa ComicCon opens its doors to attendees in just over 24 hours. We're still looking for volunteers to help out Friday (tomorrow!) afternoon and Sunday morning.

Can't help this weekend, but have an hour to spare tonight? WE NEED YOUR HELP!

At approximately 6 PM this evening we will be moving a couch out of The Blurry Pixel at 201 Queen Street. This couch needs to be moved from the bar into a waiting cargo van. If you have some time spare, we could really use your help. Post here, message me, or just show up! Thanks guys!