themightytej

2016 Event Suggestions

Hey, everyone! So, at the launch meeting, we discussed some possible locations and events we could try to set up at. Sadly, this list doesn't appear to have made it to the site as yet, so let's revisit this topic and see what we can come up with. This format also gives us a bit more room to discuss details and answer questions about suggestions.

I'll start us off. I remember some conventions being mentioned, including:

-Connecticon (Hartford, CT)

-Boston Comicon (Boston)

-Topatocon (Easthampton)

-Conbust (Northampton)

Now, Conbust 2016 has already happened, so we will focus more on that one when they begin planning for 2017, but it seems like it would be better to remember it in the list than not.

• Like 1

The Boston one is fine, but we should probably reach out to the Boston guild as well so they don't feel like we would be stepping on thier toes or "stealing" people.  I know it doesn't really matter who joins which guild, the important is that they join somebody and raise money for the kids.  We just want to make sure that we have good communication with them. 

I really think some of the smaller events would be great targets as well.  In Chicopee alone there are 3 separate Cruise Nights, Moose Club is Thursdays, the VFW on Granby rd is Wed and there's one at Buttery Brook park near the South Hadley Big Y (not sure of the night).

There are tons of people at those events and a lot of parents with kids.  I don't think we would have to do each one every single week, but maybe every other week or once a month.  They usually run all summer so even once per month would be 3 events or so I think.

Plus the smaller events like the cruise nights would be less of a time commitment, 1 or 2 people could do the whole event since the cruise night is only a few hours, rather than the all-day conventions where we would have to schedule shifts and such. 

Just a thought

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the majority of our effort will be small, recurring events with people who may be interested in what Extra Life does.

I was actually thinking about that with Boston and Hartford and maybe some others. We really have a lot of guilds in a small area in New England, and I figured we could discuss at an upcoming meeting the idea of reaching out and discussing partnerships with other nearby guilds. The model of it I would put forth would involve talking to, say, Boston and saying, "We'll split duties and associated costs and provide information primarily about Extra Life and additionally about our specific hospitals at Boston Comicon," the hope being that this would get all of this more exposure with less strain on any one guild. But this would need to be discussed and possibly altered, so for this thread I was hoping to just get as many events as we can on the table.

• Like 1

quarters was one of the spots, they have various events, theme nights and such. Glom onto any of those where peeps have available

• Like 2

One additional place that didn't come up, which isn't an "event" per se, is Action Figure Planet at the Holyoke Mall.  I approached them last year, and the owner preferred developing a team of its own (they have some gaming there regularly, so I hear), but I don't believe that it panned out.

I don't like to hound people, but I don't think one more attempt would hurt.  I think it would be great to have a Mall business affiliated with EL.  By the way: I was also working on Best Buy, but only got as far as a couple of employees.  I know (or imagine) that Best Buy can't officially support EL necessarily, but I was hoping to at least get some fliers or a poster in the break room.

• Like 1

Say, one other thing that I just remembered: we were pushing to grab a table at the Mass Mutual Center for a (or some!) Falcons hockey games, but I don't know if Jenna was able to connect with their people.  At any rate: I understand that another team is going to move to Springfield.  I would personally give a great many weekend hours to be able to table some of those games.  Since the AHL is actually centered in Springfield, can you imagine the possibilities if the AHL itself supported the hospitals?  The exposure!

• Like 1

George, or anyone else that knows.  Could you guys enlighten me on the topic of Springfield Falcons or a new Springfield hockey team? I thought I heard that the Falcons left Springfield.  Will there be another team moving in to the Mass mutual center? I was said when I saw the news report, but that was a month or so ago, I believe.  What's the update now?

The Falcons are moving to Arizona, but the team from Portland, Maine is moving to Springfield.

• Like 1

Wow, Thanks for the info Tej.  What will the new team be called? and I assume someone is working finding out if there could be a working relationship with them and Extra-Life? or maybe that cant happen till they get here and are established?