Guild Meeting - April 21, 2016 - Toronto - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
AJia

Guild Meeting - April 21, 2016

Hi everyone!

First off, we just want to say that we are so excited to be your Guild Officers for Extra Life Toronto! We will do our best to make sure our maiden voyage goes smoothly and that Extra Life finds amazing success here in Toronto. Now on to the fun part. We are going to host a Google Hangout on Thursday at 6:30 pm and at that time you can join via the link: ExtraLifeTO - April 21 6:30 pm.

We'll be touching on these topics for now. Especially since we need these to be accounted for before EGLX (the next weekend after!):

1. Introducing your new Guild Officers and Children's Miracle Health Network Rep: How you can get into contact with us including our profiles, what our roles are in this Guild and how we can help you.

2. Where you can find us on Social Media: We'll be setting up a Facebook and Twitter account for just the bare basics on what's going down in ExtraLifeTO. Mostly so you'll have an instant update to situations/events. Also because we want to show off how totally boss our Guild is. 

3. Membership Roster: We will be sending out a membership list in the hangout. Please give this a look and edit if need be. We'll also send monthly reports to the Guild after we hold the meetings so everyone will be on the same page.

4. Meeting Space: We will have a guaranteed meeting space for the month of May and we will give out the date of that month's meeting sooner than later (hopefully). If anyone knows anyone/anyplace that can provide a free monthly meeting space for 70 people, please let us know in the forums or keep it in mind for the hangout!

5. EGLX***: The con is fast approaching and we need volunteers. We have passes/badges for 1 SickKids rep and 3 Guild members. So we're going to have a rotating volunteer schedule for all of the exhibition days. If you would like to volunteer, let us know in the email that I will attach below with the date and time you prefer. We are also looking for volunteers to help with booth set-up and booth take-down for Thursday and Sunday. We will be mentioning what resources Extra Life will be bringing and what other things you would like to provide to manage the booth flow. 

For any official documents, contact info (contacts for the meeting space for example), and volunteer info please send them over to the official Extra Life Toronto email: extralifeto@gmail.com

If you have any questions, you can throw them in the forum and we'll be happy to answer!

Can't wait to see all you lovelies at the Hangout!

Raj, Erin and Aileen

• Like 4

Awesome! Looks like we're on our way with this.

I can be present for the meeting until about 7:15. Hopefully we can wrap up the first four points before that. I've already made myself known for volunteering for EGLX.

Will there be minutes taken for this meeting for those who can't attend?

• Like 2

Awesome, I'll add you plus the dates you mentioned to the list we're compiling. Thanks for volunteering and keeping active here!

As the meeting goes along, I'll be keeping track and taking notes to make a summarized report of what went down in the meeting and what our goals are for the month. That report will be sent out to the Guild so everyone will have a record of what was talked about even if they weren't there.

• Like 1

Great, considering my schedule just devoured me in the 6 minutes since I posted. I won't be able to be online for the meeting. Is what is when you run a business. -_-

Haha, don't worry that's completely understandable! You'll get the report via email after the meet. If you don't get it, shoot me a message and I'll see if we have the right contact info or not :D

• Like 1

Hey Aileen!

Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in the upcoming Google hang out because of work but I hope to be caught up with the report :) I'll try my best to make it to the next hangout/meeting!

All the best,

Maria

*Happy and slightly sad dance* 

Happy

- we are awesome

- I can't wait to see all the things we are going to do as a guild

- I can help out for EGLX ( will respond to Erin after I finish typing this) 

Sad-ish? 

- I can't attend the meeting since I will be on the road to PAX East. (I'll say hello to the Boston Guild while I'm there!) 

I look forward to the meeting minutes and can wait to help out!   

I couldn't "attend" the meeting due to the short notice (hoping that's just a one off as we've got a rush on to get set for EGLX) anyway I can man the stall on the Friday afternoon, I won't need a pass as I've already got a weekend pass as I'm attending anyway. If I can leave work early enough on the Thursday I can also help with the set up and I'll likely be around till the end on Sunday so can help pull it down too.

MEETING SUMMARY REPORT – APRIL 21ST, 2016

Unfortunately, with it being so last minute and during an awkward period of the week, the meeting was done over Google Hangout. So props to those that did make it! You guys brought really good advice and suggestions that we are definitely going to steal.

Guild Officers:

President Raj Patel – @Rajio. He is our marketing guru. As our president, he’ll be more focused on recruiting and making sure we meet our recruitment goals. He also leads our meeting agendas.

Vice-President Erin Dupuis - @aerynstarr You've probably already met her as being one of the head honchos for Geekz United. She is in charge of organizing events and keeping us up to date with opportunities for recruitment/donations. She is the head honcho for everything volunteer related.

Secretary Aileen Jia - @AJia. I’m currently both working and studying in medicine, so I have background knowledge if it’s needed. I also have a lot of experience with working for and with NGO’s and non-profits, especially when it comes to infrastructure and logistics. While that means I’m not as involved in the gaming industry as my two other bosses, it does mean that I know how to handle the bits and bobs from this end. Which is pretty much guild infrastructure and logistics :cool: I am in charge of maintaining the Guild’s membership roster, venues, overseeing the forums, and making sure everyone is on the same page.

SickKids Rep Tara Oliphant - @SickKids_Tara. She is our liaison to Toronto SickKids. She’s the boss (the sweetest boss might I add) and she’s will work with us to make sure we achieve as much as possible for the kids. If you have a question that you feel Tara is best at answering, please send it to the Extra Life Toronto email, and she’ll be notified.

Both Raj and Erin will either post in this forum a bit about themselves and why they're going to be awesome at their jobs :D

Social Media: While all of our info will be posted here first, we do have a Twitter account: @ExtraLifeTO. It will mostly be live updates while we are at events, again so we can show off. There will be no Facebook account, as this forum, mailing list and twitter will bombard you enough.

We also need to design our Toronto logo. If you would like to submit anything, please send them to the Guild’s email here: extralifeto@gmail.com

Here are the guidelines for multimedia use.

Here are the guidelines for logos.

Membership Roster: The full membership list will be given with this report in the mailing list. So please give it a look-see, and let us know in this forum if we made a mistake in your contact info/name. Also, please give us your username! You might also have noticed there are 2 extra columns. One is if you want to opt out of the mailing list, please make a note of it in your respective spot. If you want back in, we will provide a subscription link ASAP.

There is also the column for "Notes/Pizza party". It’s literally a place where we will make miscellaneous remarks, or reminders for that individual if something came up in the meeting. We also have a count for the amount of “funny stickers” that you may have earned. This is for participation rewards and those rewards could either be a lonely pizza party, a not-so-lonely pizza party, or bragging rights.

EGLX**: Our first trial is upon us and we are going to kick butt. Firstly though, we need volunteers that can help. Unfortunately, we know it is last minute and that the convention’s location is not that accessible. However, we will try as much as we can to work with your schedule, etc. If you would love to help out, please send us a message over to our email: extralifeto@gmail.com. Erin will provide a volunteer schedule to those involved. She will also manage any volunteer inquiries for EGLX. As she has stated in the forums, the following shifts are still open: Saturday 1-3 pm, Sunday 1-3 pm and 4-8 pm.

Here are some tips and tricks for our volunteers and for volunteers in the future:
1. We will have iPads at the booth, but please download the ExtraLife app here: FOR iOS and here FOR ANDROID (though I have been hearing that the android app has been buggy for Canadian folks). This way you can reduce wait times and also recruit people while you’re wandering around. For example, people who are taking a quick break sitting or waiting in ginormous lines. You can guilt them into signing up to help the kids. Side note: there will be chargers at our booth, but please remember to bring your own charger in case the booth doesn’t have it.

2. There are examples on how to introduce yourself to potential recruits. You can find them here at our main page under GUILD RESOURCES. Everyone should take a quick look at these just to keep it in mind.

3. Now that we have a twitter account, please also tag us in any posts or have people who visit our booth to tag us for awesome promo. They will have awesome photo opportunities at the booth.

4. Tara and SickKids would like to film a quick video of high profile gamers doing a rapid fire interview where it leads into us introducing them to ExtraLife and why/how their gaming helps kids. So give us some awesome hook questions that you would think would be good to ask!

5. We are going to have promo resources, not much for this con, but definitely so for future ones. We will have cards/stickers/buttons to pass out, or ask other booths to display on their tables. Remind them that it’s for the kids; how could they possibly say no to that? We currently have some SickKids shirts and lanyards that will be loaned to us for this con, but in the future we are looking to get our own ExtraLife Toronto swag made. Just a few generic ones to share for public events. While we do have some leeway to what volunteers can wear at our booths, please do wear them when you’re roaming the convention floor.

The Future, dundunduuun: The next big convention that is quickly coming up is Anime North. We are still figuring out the bits and ends of it, but it you know that you would like to volunteer or will be at the convention anyways keep it in mind when we bring it up. We will be putting up a list of future events that we would like to be at, so keep your eyes out for that (as some will overlap).

Again, if you have any questions throw them up on this forum and we’ll answer as soon as we can.

• Like 4

Unfortunately couldn't sign in for the meeting do to a competition deadline, but hope to be free for the next one!  

Also am very interested in submitting some logo ideas for the guild :)  I'll have some time to do that around mid-May, I hope that's not too late!   Hopefully will see some of you at EGLX on Sunday <3