Extra Life App - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
CAWZY

Extra Life App

Anyone else have a problem with the app?  I've tried signing up two people with it now, and both have never received an email or have seen an account created for them.

23 minutes ago, CAWZY said:

Anyone else have a problem with the app?  I've tried signing up two people with it now, and both have never received an email or have seen an account created for them.

It's not instantaneous. It can take a couple of days for the email notification to be sent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

It's not instantaneous. It can take a couple of days for the email notification to be sent. 

Ah, ok.  I thought maybe it would be a couple hours...didnt know it would be days.  Thanks @herobyclicking!

• Like 1

Just now, CAWZY said:

Ah, ok.  I thought maybe it would be a couple hours...didnt know it would be days.  Thanks @herobyclicking!

I wish it were instant! Any chance that this could be adjusted (I ask this knowing what it can take to create a mobile app...;)) @LeaveIt2Beaver?

Hey d00ds! The app is meant to work as an alternative registration option when you're out somewhere without cell service or wi-fi so it's not actually connected to the website and definitely not instantaneous.  If you have the means to sign someone up via the website, definitely do that instead! Here's how the app works:

1. The data entered thru the form is stored on the device until you connect to the wi-fi or cell signal

2. Once the device has an active connection, it uploads the data to a central server and deletes it from the device

3. We then export the data from the server, send it to Donor Drive, and they run a macro on it to process the registrations

We typically do step #3 every Monday afternoon and registrants receive their welcome email by Tuesday or Wednesday!  

• Like 4

@Leaveit2Beaver what happens with data conflicts? What happens to data when the account already exists from a previous year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, stodd.ELBoston said:

@Leaveit2Beaver what happens with data conflicts? What happens to data when the account already exists from a previous year?

@stodd.ELBoston- All the data is scrubbed to make sure it doesn't break DD's macro. If the person is already registered for the current year of Extra Life, it flags the record. If they're in the system but not signed up for the current year, it will register them like everyone else.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for all the info on this.  There are a couple places we will be at this year where we will not have any kind of Wifi Connection.  So using the app will definitely come into play.  Its good to know that it takes a couple days, we can just inform people when we sign them up.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion for the app. Can you make it so I can sign into my account so that when I register someone else, they get registered as one of my recruits?

1 hour ago, waterboysh said:

I have a suggestion for the app. Can you make it so I can sign into my account so that when I register someone else, they get registered as one of my recruits?

It's my understanding that the app is mainly a tool for Guild use where recruitment duties are shared among many people, so I'm not sure this sort of thing would be considered a priority. Still, I guess it never hurts to ask. Someone higher up might have a different answer for you. ^_^

• Like 2

Might have been answered somewhere else, but we are using the app for QuakeCon, which makes this the first time I really needed to know the answer to the following.  Do I have to actively upload the data?  I connected to Wi-Fi when I got home, but the app gives me no indication that data has been transferred.  I know on the fly as we sign people up we see a count, or at least I believe we did, but I cannot find a way to see the total count from the app prior to uploading the data.  Let me know if I am missing something.

@LeaveIt2Beaver

15 hours ago, scoii said:

Might have been answered somewhere else, but we are using the app for QuakeCon, which makes this the first time I really needed to know the answer to the following.  Do I have to actively upload the data?  I connected to Wi-Fi when I got home, but the app gives me no indication that data has been transferred.  I know on the fly as we sign people up we see a count, or at least I believe we did, but I cannot find a way to see the total count from the app prior to uploading the data.  Let me know if I am missing something.

@LeaveIt2Beaver

The way the app works, it makes sure you don't have access to entered data and that no data is retained on your device (which is reassuring to people when you're using a personal device like a phone). If you do not have a message saying something along the lines of "X unsent registrations" then you can safely assume that it's all synced and the data has been sent. Unfortunately there's not really a way to keep track of registrations between syncing, so if you want to keep count, make sure you copy the number down before you connect to wifi and sync it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, waterboysh said: I have a suggestion for the app. Can you make it so I can sign into my account so that when I register someone else, they get registered as one of my recruits?

It's my understanding that the app is mainly a tool for Guild use where recruitment duties are shared among many people, so I'm not sure this sort of thing would be considered a priority. Still, I guess it never hurts to ask. Someone higher up might have a different answer for you.

I know that they are exploring ways to try and track who is signing up participants at events so this feedback is good. @Leaveit2Beaver I'm sure you've heard this feedback already but want to make sure you see it.

As gamers we automatically gravitate towards competition when it comes to any measurable productivity. Ultimately, or focus is the recruitment to Extra Life regardless of who signs up who. ;)

I agree that it would be a good enhancement for measurement for guild leaders to see trends in productivity/success. This would help leaders to focus on the lower luck side, and look to see if there is an opportunity to coach on the pitch.

Thanks @waterboysh! Keep up the hunger to sign up as many as you can!!

Remember. #oneextralife #ftk

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 1:43 PM, K8Morosky said:

The way the app works, it makes sure you don't have access to entered data and that no data is retained on your device (which is reassuring to people when you're using a personal device like a phone). If you do not have a message saying something along the lines of "X unsent registrations" then you can safely assume that it's all synced and the data has been sent. Unfortunately there's not really a way to keep track of registrations between syncing, so if you want to keep count, make sure you copy the number down before you connect to wifi and sync it.

Thank you for the feedback!  I saw how it works on days 2 and 3 when we did the data dumps.  Problem on day 1 that I had was we had hit the "Sign Up" button to return back to the data collection screen.  I missed the sync icon disappear, so I had not received any feedback that the registrations were sent.  Thanks again for confirming.

On 8/5/2016 at 0:43 PM, K8Morosky said:

hit the nail on the head!  We can look back at all the data entered in thru the apps at the end of the year, sort by event name and let you know the quality of leads from your major events, too. We wont be able to do it for all of them, but can definitely find the resources to let you know on a few of them!

I had an error message the first time I was signing up here. I figured that I won't be able to sign up here. Then I gave up and left. Finally, after 1 day and 1 night, I am here now. This time the confirmation email was sent instantaneously. But the web pages stopped to load before I validate my email address? Anyway, It's good to be here. Thank you all.