Share your PC Rigs! - PC Gaming - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
PsycheDiver

Share your PC Rigs!

Now that I'm joining the Extra Life community, I suppose it's a good excuse to rebuild my PC.

Share pics of your rigs, setups, build stories and advice~!

• Like 1

• Mainboard/CPU: ASUSTeK Sabertooth X99 with an Intel i7 5820K @ 3.3GHz
  • Cooling: Corsair H100iGTX
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
  • RAM: 16 GB Crucial DDR4

The most valuable advice I can give, make sure that whatever case you choose has plenty of room between the wall and the motherboard for cable management. It'll make the build easier and prettier lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alpacalyps3 said:
  • Mainboard/CPU: ASUSTeK Sabertooth X99 with an Intel i7 5820K @ 3.3GHz
  • Cooling: Corsair H100iGTX
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
  • RAM: 16 GB Crucial DDR4

The most valuable advice I can give, make sure that whatever case you choose has plenty of room between the wall and the motherboard for cable management. It'll make the build easier and prettier lol

That sounds pretty solid.

The last case I bought (Altec-Lansing quite a few years back. The one with the massive fan on top) did an OK job of managing cables, but I think cases have improved quite a bit since I built that thing.

Here's the details on mine!

It doesn't have the newest stuff, but it's solid.

• Case: CM Storm Enforcer
  • GTX 970 4GB DDR5
  • CORSAIR Vengence 8GB
  • AMD FX 8370E 16MB Black Edition
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mokinns said:

Here's the details on mine!

It doesn't have the newest stuff, but it's solid.

• Case: CM Storm Enforcer
  • GTX 970 4GB DDR5
  • CORSAIR Vengence 8GB
  • AMD FX 8370E 16MB Black Edition

That's pretty cool. I had a case like that and I'm not sure I'd buy another with a huge top fan. What's your impression?

I don't mind it, but I probably wouldn't get one like it again just because it's easy for small things to fall into it. Hell, I've had bugs get attracted to the lights and fall in it lol

• Like 2

On 4/6/2016 at 4:29 PM, Mokinns said:

I don't mind it, but I probably wouldn't get one like it again just because it's easy for small things to fall into it. Hell, I've had bugs get attracted to the lights and fall in it lol

Exactly. I understand the general idea that if heat rises, it would be best to push it out from the top. However, just sticking a huge open fan there is not the way to go.

• Like 1

I have a prebuilt machine from Newegg, but I was having trouble with it overheating, so I added one of these babies myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Cooling-_-N82E16835103099&gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgrc82NdL409wV-aeZ2yr--Dg-n4lNHyO0dMzjrHaQP4hoCMKPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It was my first time ever actually messing with my PC hardware and I was so very proud of myself! :) Works perfectly now!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, K8Morosky said:

I have a prebuilt machine from Newegg, but I was having trouble with it overheating, so I added one of these babies myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Cooling-_-N82E16835103099&gclid=CjwKEAjwubK4BRC1xczKrZyj3mkSJAC6ntgrc82NdL409wV-aeZ2yr--Dg-n4lNHyO0dMzjrHaQP4hoCMKPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It was my first time ever actually messing with my PC hardware and I was so very proud of myself! :) Works perfectly now!

Great work! Tinkering for the first time with your PC's guts can be a but nerve-wracking but once you get over that hump, you discover the joy in it. :)

• Like 2

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 liquid cooler

Graphics Card: Asus GTX 960

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

RAM: 32 gb Crucial Ballistix (4x8GB) 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 EVO SSD

Second HD: Seagate 500GB Momentus XT

Case: Fractal R5

Power Supply: Corsair HX750

Doubled the RAM last week just because there was a half-off sale on the same sticks I had. Do I need 32 gb? Heck no! Writing it off as retail therapy.

I am wondering if I shouldn't have gone with a better graphics card but I bought this system a year ago and foolishly wasn't thinking I'd get that much back into PC gaming. Now I'm seeing the spec minimums for the new VR stuff and wondering if I made a mistake!

• Like 2

I recently built my first PC last year right before marathon day! Never done this before but I told myself that once I graduated from college I was going to reward myself with this little project. Probably the most fun I had with a project in a very long time! :D 

My PC specs can be found on my website

IMG_20150922_214503281.jpg

IMG_20150924_162906380.jpg

IMG_20150924_162451184.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/13/2016 at 11:29 AM, Zyaldar said:

I recently built my first PC last year right before marathon day! Never done this before but I told myself that once I graduated from college I was going to reward myself with this little project. Probably the most fun I had with a project in a very long time! :D 

My PC specs can be found on my website

~snipped photos~

Looks great! I've got photos and specs listed for my system in my signature below. PC building is a lot of fun, if I could get a job at iBuyPower or any other PC building company I think I'd have died and gone to PCMasterRace heaven ;-)

*edit* updated my parts, realized I had changed a few things ;-)

• Like 1

So, I'm going to jump in to this seeing as there are a ton of hardware peeps in here. I have a proposed rig that I would like to build but not sure if its going to perform decently:

Processor: AMD A10-7860K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H

Video Card: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 Series R7 250

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600

Hard Drive: Crucial BX100 250GB

I can never figure out if its CPU, GPU, or RAM that makes the difference. This is my first gaming rig and would like to do it right.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MajorLinux said:

I can never figure out if its CPU, GPU, or RAM that makes the difference. This is my first gaming rig and would like to do it right.

I can speak to this. With most games before this year, your GPU and CPU really were the big focus in needs for your PC. Before Vulkan (the new fancy dancy API for graphics) the way games were handled was like a bottleneck. The CPU (which has multiple cores no matter what you buy today) would dedicate only one core to talk to the GPU, and the GPU would have crazy fun handling the game. But with only a one lane road back to the CPU, not much could really be done. Certainly we see graphics levels go up as the GPUs get better (Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, whatever high graphics game you can think of) but there's still a limit that was being reached.

Vulkan allows the CPU to use multiple cores and threads to talk to the GPU, allowing much more processing (this is where VR comes in, once your computer can handle VR then it can handle any game).

RAM is great, but you don't really need over 8GB--unless you're big into video editing. RAM is intended for quick access to resources, but most HDDs are fast enough to handle switching from game to game, and certainly SSDs will cover any load needs. I hardly consider RAM anymore besides what socket type it is.

TL:DR if you're on a budget and want a gaming PC I've always found it perfectly fine to get 1] the medium to high end video card that will do the job 2] Last years CPU (honestly i5s are fine, really guys :o) 3] a strong storage choice, whether its a fast HDD or a SSD

Source: CompEng undergrad, assoc eng at super old server/mainframe company

• Like 3

Appreciate it. As a CompSci grad mainly working with headless servers, graphics hardware baffles me! You really helped me out with this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MajorLinux said:

As a CompSci grad mainly working with headless servers, graphics hardware baffles me!

I see this weekly with people at work. I think its neat to know exactly what box you're working off of. Of course you can only do that unless your on AWS or some other cloud though, but still nice. :P

• Like 2

My system. Let me know if people have computer questions I build computers all the time.

CPU: Intel i7-5960X Overclocked to 4.5 gig
GPU: Zotac GTX 980ti ArcticStorm x2 in SLI
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB
MotherBoard: ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1
Main SSD: Intel 750 Series HHHL (CEM2.0) 1.2TB PCIe NVMe
Game Storage: WD Black WD6001FZWX 6TB
Storage Array: 5 x TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB
Power Supply: EVGA 1200 watt Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition
Cooling: Custom Watercooling Loop
Keyboard: Mad Catz® S.T.R.I.K.E. TE™
Mouse: Mad Catz® M.M.O. 7 Gaming Mouse
Flight Stick: Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino
Monitors:
1X Asus VG278H 27-Inch 3D
2X Asus VN248H-P 24-Inch
Audio: Realtek HD Audio
Mic: Blue Microphones Yeti
Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Series II
Head Set: RAZER BLACKSHARK
Camera: Logitech C920
Software: XSplit

• Like 1

So, I have since built my new system and I'd like to share ultimately what I ended up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480
Case: VIVO CASE-V02 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I'll admit it isn't the best, but having never played games on a PC before, I love my little rig that could! :)

• Like 2

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 liquid cooler

Graphics Card: Asus GTX 960

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

RAM: 32 gb Crucial Ballistix (4x8GB) 1600MHz.

On 6/21/2016 at 2:02 PM, MajorLinux said:

So, I have since built my new system and I'd like to share ultimately what I ended up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480
Case: VIVO CASE-V02 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I'll admit it isn't the best, but having never played games on a PC before, I love my little rig that could! :)

Parts have been update since that post...

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card 
Case: NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply