bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

I just wanted to pop in and thank you for this!  I wanted to find a way to automate the process and this just works perfectly for me!  I'm keeping this in my wheelhouse for the future :)

(The donation "kids cheering" sound popped in when I was playing a horror game and I got confused for a moment *laugh*)

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

The Helper has always been offered as a web app that you download and run locally on your computer. Since I created it six years ago, anyone who wanted to use it was required to download the zip file, extract it, and then edit the ExtraLifeHelper.html file with their information and settings preferences. This worked fine for the most part. It actually led to many Extra Lifers modifying the Helper to look different or have additional functionality which was pretty awesome.

With that said, I'm excited to say that version 3.0 of the Helper has been released and now can be used without downloading or editing files!  If you don't have a reason to modify the  source code (which applies to most Extra Lifers), adding the Helper to your OBS and XSplit scenes just got a lot easier. Simply visit this page, use the form to customize the Helper, and then copy the link. The page lets you quickly preview the Helper and test donation alerts and sound levels. 

http://breadweb.net/extralife-helper.html

For those who have enjoyed modifying the Helper, don't worry; It will continue to be available for download and both the local and remote versions will be kept in sync. 

Feedback and bug reports are appreciated, as always. Thanks! -bread

On 11/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Griffeth said:

Is there any way to control the volume of the alerts?

There is now in version 3.0 that was just released today! Thank you for the feedback. 

Hey @bread_man! Once again, thanks for your hard work on the extra-life helper, it helped me and my team out a lot last year and i'm happy to see you're keeping it up to date! We did have a few teething problems last year however, maybe you could help me out with them :)

Last year we ran the helper in team-mode on 2 separate PCs and while it did work, the donations often came in staggered.. so I would get a donation alert, and then maybe 2/3 minutes later my team-mate would get the same donation alert and vice versa. Is this a by-product of running in team-mode? Or is that not supposed to happen? Also.. I see that you have now made an online version of the helper, which is great! Would that version possibly fix the de-sync issues we've been facing? and if so, is there a way for us host our own remote version with a custom donation mp3?

Thanks again for all your hard work year on year :)

On 4/25/2019 at 8:17 PM, MaelstromALPHA said:

Hey @bread_man! Once again, thanks for your hard work on the extra-life helper, it helped me and my team out a lot last year and i'm happy to see you're keeping it up to date! We did have a few teething problems last year however, maybe you could help me out with them :)

Hey @MaelstromALPHA! Awesome to hear that the Helper worked out for you and your team last year!  Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep finding ways to improve the Helper for as long as people want to keep using it! :)

On 4/25/2019 at 8:17 PM, MaelstromALPHA said:

Last year we ran the helper in team-mode on 2 separate PCs and while it did work, the donations often came in staggered.. so I would get a donation alert, and then maybe 2/3 minutes later my team-mate would get the same donation alert and vice versa. Is this a by-product of running in team-mode? Or is that not supposed to happen? Also.. I see that you have now made an online version of the helper, which is great! Would that version possibly fix the de-sync issues we've been facing? and if so, is there a way for us host our own remote version with a custom donation mp3?

Yes, that makes sense. The Helper polls the Extra Life API for donation information on an interval and not at fixed points in time. So the only way two separate computers running the Helper would be close to being in sync is if they started the Helper at the exact same time. This is the same if the Helper is running in team or participant mode and doesn't change if you're using the download or online version. 

The online version of the Helper doesn't support custom alert sounds right now. I'd have to create a way for people to upload these custom files or provide a link to them uploaded somewhere else.  The download version will always be available and continue to support custom sound.  You trade a little customization power for ease of use when using the online version at the moment.  Hope that helps.