Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream! - Page 8 - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

Here it is. I was going to expand more of the fields, but there was quite a lot of them, so I figured I'd wait until you looked at it, in case you can pin point a specific one to look at for more info.

ELHelper2.jpg

Hey @bread_man! Thank you so much for your awesome helper! Me and a friend are getting ourselves ready for our first ever Extra Life stream in November and i'm in the process of setting up all the overlays/trackers. I just wanted to know.. is there an easy way for me to run a test donation in the helper so I can see how it will look on the stream? Thanks again!

19 hours ago, MaelstromALPHA said:

Hey @bread_man! Thank you so much for your awesome helper! Me and a friend are getting ourselves ready for our first ever Extra Life stream in November and i'm in the process of setting up all the overlays/trackers. I just wanted to know.. is there an easy way for me to run a test donation in the helper so I can see how it will look on the stream? Thanks again!

Hey MaelstromALPHA! Glad you guys are finding the Helper useful and thanks for joining the Extra Life community and helping raise money for the kids!

There is a way, but it is complicated and requires running a local webserver serving up fake data and modifying the Helper to use that instead of the Extra Life API. I would give you the steps, but the fake data files I created haven't been updated to use the correct data structure.  You're not the first to ask for this and so I'll plan on adding a simple way for people to test the donation alert soon. 

On 9/18/2018 at 8:03 PM, BJWyler said:

Here it is. I was going to expand more of the fields, but there was quite a lot of them, so I figured I'd wait until you looked at it, in case you can pin point a specific one to look at for more info.

ELHelper2.jpg

Yeah, would need to see everything expanded to get a better idea what is going on.  Also, you might want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome on that machine.

Hey everyone! I just released a new version that allows you to do a test donation alert so you can see how it will look / sound in your stream when you're setting things up. In the new ExtraLifeHelper.html file, change the new testDonationSeconds value to something other than zero. When the Helper loads up, it will show a test donation that many seconds later. Don't forget to set it back to zero when you're done testing. :)

Latest version is v2.2. and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper

@MaelstromALPHA, this is something you and others requested. 

• Like 2

Hey guys!

I just stumbled across this feature, and I am so happy I did! This will be my sixth year doing a stream and I've been looking for something functional and user friendly; this hit the nail on the head.

I'm looking to implement one of the animated gifs that EL provides in their broadcaster kit for whenever someone donate. Can someone give some insight into how I can add this in? I'm sorry if this is a repeat question that someone else asked. It's a rather long thread and I haven't seen it, but if it is already posted and answered, please link me! I can't seem to find it.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bread_man said:

Hey everyone! I just released a new version that allows you to do a test donation alert so you can see how it will look / sound in your stream when you're setting things up. In the new ExtraLifeHelper.html file, change the new testDonationSeconds value to something other than zero. When the Helper loads up, it will show a test donation that many seconds later. Don't forget to set it back to zero when you're done testing. :)

Latest version is v2.2. and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper

@MaelstromALPHA, this is something you and others requested. 

It's perfect, exactly what I needed! All my overlays are tested and working great so, i'm super looking forward to our game day now :) Thanks again for all your hard work @bread_man

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sakurie_2 said:

Hey guys!

I just stumbled across this feature, and I am so happy I did! This will be my sixth year doing a stream and I've been looking for something functional and user friendly; this hit the nail on the head.

I'm looking to implement one of the animated gifs that EL provides in their broadcaster kit for whenever someone donate. Can someone give some insight into how I can add this in? I'm sorry if this is a repeat question that someone else asked. It's a rather long thread and I haven't seen it, but if it is already posted and answered, please link me! I can't seem to find it.

Thanks! 

Hey Sakurie! Glad you're finding the Helper useful. :) And congrats on your sixth year of participation. That's awesome!

As for using the animated gifs, here are a couple approaches:

• Easy: Use StreamLabs AlertBox widget at https://streamlabs.com/dashboard#/alertbox. When configuring the widget in their dashboard, you can upload one of the animated gifs to use for the image. You can search the boards here for more information on how to use StreamLabs and the AlertBox in particular.
  • Advanced: The Helper provides an onNewDonation function in the ExtraLifeHelper.html page that gets called each time a new donation comes in. You can write your own JavaScript here that will display one of the animated gifs. The Helper has all the modules you'll need to display the image and fade it in and out (paper.js and tweenjs.js), but it would be tricky to size and position it correctly depending on where you've placed the Helper in your presentation. 

You can find the thread where the original author of the gifs shared them with the community. Maybe they have more ideas on how to use them in your stream presentation. Good luck!

@bread_man another quick question related to your helper, although it's also a bit of a broader question regarding how extra-life operates. If you're running the helper in team mode, do you get popups/notifications for all donations made to any team member,  or does it just show the goal amount for the team on the helper? As it is just me and 1 of my friends forming a team we wanted to show any and all donations on our individual streams but we're not sure how extra-life and the helper handles team mode.

In the case that the helper doesn't show any/all donations made for the team.. do you recommend me and my friend just using the same donation link to achieve what we're after? Thanks for help :)

On 10/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, MaelstromALPHA said:

If you're running the helper in team mode, do you get popups/notifications for all donations made to any team member,  or does it just show the goal amount for the team on the helper? As it is just me and 1 of my friends forming a team we wanted to show any and all donations on our individual streams but we're not sure how extra-life and the helper handles team mode.

Yes, when you run the Helper in team mode, it will show donation alerts for all team members as they come in. :)

I look forward to this bump every year!  While I love the official tool too now, I actually like to run both.  I use the official XSplit extension for my team info and the Breadalert (yes, we should really coin that term) for my own personal fundraising.  

• Like 1

Hey everyone!  I just released version 2.3 of the Helper which contains a fun new feature. When a new donation is received, the donation message will be read with text-to-speech during the donation alert. You can choose one of three different voice styles or disable it.

New option is in the ExtraLifeHelper.html file:

var donationMessageVoice = "UK-female";    // Voice style for the reading of donation messages.
//                                         // Set to US-female, UK-male, UK-female or set
//                                         // to "" to not read messages with text-to-speech.  

I also fixed a bug where some of the fonts may not properly load making text look weird in some situations.

As always, please let me know here if you have any questions or run into any issues.

Latest download: https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper/releases/tag/2.3 

• Like 1

hey @bread_man Thanks for the Helper...would love your help with a new feature or writing a function to display a gif or image file when donations are >= a certain amount of money. 

Thanks again for the helper - Team Just Do Better is planning to use it on a few of our streams!

20 hours ago, dmlloyd25 said:

hey @bread_man Thanks for the Helper...would love your help with a new feature or writing a function to display a gif or image file when donations are >= a certain amount of money. 

You're welcome! Glad you and your team are finding it helpful.

What's your comfort level with writing JavaScript? You could certainly write your own code and put it in the onNewDonation method in the ExtraLifeHelper.html function to display an image when a new donation comes in if the donationAmount value is over a certain amount.  If you need my help to code this, I wouldn't be able to get to it before this year's Extra Life unfortunately. :( 

23 minutes ago, bread_man said:

You're welcome! Glad you and your team are finding it helpful.

What's your comfort level with writing JavaScript? You could certainly write your own code and put it in the onNewDonation method in the ExtraLifeHelper.html function to display an image when a new donation comes in if the donationAmount value is over a certain amount.  If you need my help to code this, I wouldn't be able to get to it before this year's Extra Life unfortunately. :( 

I took a few classes a while back, unfortunately they were pretty light on JavaScript. I'll see if I can figure it out though. Thanks again - and hey maybe an idea to add images for a future build. Thanks again for all of your help and good luck with this years stream! :) 

• Thanks 1

Hey @bread_man, last year you gave me an updated version of this to accommodate my over 100 hour stream. Is there any updates in this years build that I need to be made aware of, or can I just use the previous years you provided to me?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, VagrantWolf said:

Hey @bread_man, last year you gave me an updated version of this to accommodate my over 100 hour stream. Is there any updates in this years build that I need to be made aware of, or can I just use the previous years you provided to me?

Thanks!

Hey wolf! The custom version you have won't work because it connects to the old Extra Life service. You'll want to get the latest version and then copy the changes to the clock over. It should be easy enough. The changes we made were only in the helper.js file and should just be where the clock is created and where the clock digit values are changed as time ticks. 

I am at TwitchCon and slammed until Extra Life so please give that a try and I can help you if you get stuck when I'm back next week. Good luck!

Hey @bread_man,

I love this program, I've used it for years! Thanks so much for making it! I was wondering if you could help me with something. I used to use @bfinleyui plugin as well, and I would display the latest donation and top donation on the stream with it, however it looks to not be updated this year. Is there a way, that your app could write the top donor and recent donors to a text file that we could use to display on stream?

On 10/26/2018 at 11:47 AM, bread_man said:

Hey wolf! The custom version you have won't work because it connects to the old Extra Life service. You'll want to get the latest version and then copy the changes to the clock over. It should be easy enough. The changes we made were only in the helper.js file and should just be where the clock is created and where the clock digit values are changed as time ticks. 

I am at TwitchCon and slammed until Extra Life so please give that a try and I can help you if you get stuck when I'm back next week. Good luck!

Hey Bread!

I am not running my EL 250 hour stream until Nov 8th, so I have time. If you could look into that and help me out I would be most appreciated. I am not familiar enough with JS to know what I am looking at unfortunately. :(

On 10/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, White Bishop said:

Hey @bread_man,

I love this program, I've used it for years! Thanks so much for making it! I was wondering if you could help me with something. I used to use @bfinleyui plugin as well, and I would display the latest donation and top donation on the stream with it, however it looks to not be updated this year. Is there a way, that your app could write the top donor and recent donors to a text file that we could use to display on stream?

Hey White Bishop! Unfortunately, writing to files is something the Extra Life Helper can not do since it is a web application that runs in a browser context. 

It looks like @bfinleyui released an update earlier today, however.  Hopefully that is what you're looking for!

• Like 1

Bread,

One of my buddies figured out fixing it for the three digit hour. He also applied a fix and submitted a pull request on github so you can just implement it for other people should they want it.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, VagrantWolf said:

One of my buddies figured out fixing it for the three digit hour. He also applied a fix and submitted a pull request on github so you can just implement it for other people should they want it.

I'm pressed for time over the next few weeks because of Extra Life and other personal stuff so I'm really glad you had a friend who could make the minor changes for your custom clock. I probably won't merge this as an official option until more people request it since the Helper's list of configuration options is growing, but I will leave the pull request open as a reference and example. Thanks! Community collaboration FTW!

• Like 1

Hey!  Is there any way to pause the counter once your start date/time has passed?  We started a little early, but I would like the counter to only count my actual played time if at all possible?

1 hour ago, aery said:

Hey!  Is there any way to pause the counter once your start date/time has passed?  We started a little early, but I would like the counter to only count my actual played time if at all possible?

Hi! The clock calculates time played by using the start date and time you specify. Unfortunately, it is not a stopwatch that can be paused. You might have luck changing the start time to earlier or later to make it appear as though you played more or less. Good luck!!

9 hours ago, bread_man said:

Hi! The clock calculates time played by using the start date and time you specify. Unfortunately, it is not a stopwatch that can be paused. You might have luck changing the start time to earlier or later to make it appear as though you played more or less. Good luck!!

I thought that was probably the case, thanks so much! :)