bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

Just wanted to mention that my daughter and I are doing the marathon this weekend so I won't be available to help troubleshoot issues folks have adding the Helper to their streams or have time to make special modifications. Please try to catch me today or tomorrow if you need any assistance. Thanks!! :D

• Like 1

Came here to check out sorting out adverts for a break in gameplay and remembered this brilliant counter from last year! All setup and ready to go in just a few seconds!

Now I just need to get my head around the function thingy and make it play some awesome sounds on donation!

16 minutes ago, Psymonkee said:

Came here to check out sorting out adverts for a break in gameplay and remembered this brilliant counter from last year! All setup and ready to go in just a few seconds!

Now I just need to get my head around the function thingy and make it play some awesome sounds on donation!

Hey Psymonkee! You can change the sounds when a donation comes in pretty easily:

1) Copy the sound file(s) you want to play in the audio folder

2) Update the "donationSounds" value in the ExtraLifeHelper.html file to be the name of the sound file(s)

Hey @bread_man, loving this helper - great addition for sure!  One question I do have, if I wanted to add my overall fundraising goal to it - so that instead of just the number value of what's been raised so far it displayed it as, for example $50 / $200, is there an easy way to do that?  I've found the necessary variable from my fundraising page, but am unsure of what I'd edit/add in the (I'm assuming) helper.js file.  

Any help you can provide is certainly appreciated!

6 hours ago, Shawn Sproule said:

Hey @bread_man, loving this helper - great addition for sure!  One question I do have, if I wanted to add my overall fundraising goal to it - so that instead of just the number value of what's been raised so far it displayed it as, for example $50 / $200, is there an easy way to do that?  I've found the necessary variable from my fundraising page, but am unsure of what I'd edit/add in the (I'm assuming) helper.js file.  

Any help you can provide is certainly appreciated!

Hey Shawn. Sure thing. Just change line #749 (in the "onGeneralInfoSuccess" function) from 

moneyText.content = formatMoney(raised);

to

moneyText.content = formatMoney(raised) + " / " + formatMoney(res['fundraisingGoal']);

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bread_man said:

Hey Psymonkee! You can change the sounds when a donation comes in pretty easily:

1) Copy the sound file(s) you want to play in the audio folder

2) Update the "donationSounds" value in the ExtraLifeHelper.html file to be the name of the sound file(s)

That's the bit I get. I'm not sure about the 'function' line! If I put:

onNewDonation(donorName, soundfile)

will that work? Or will it simply play all sounds in the var donationSounds line? 

I'm not getting enough donations to test it out :P

2 minutes ago, Psymonkee said:

That's the bit I get. I'm not sure about the 'function' line! If I put:

will that work? Or will it simply play all sounds in the var donationSounds line? 

I'm not getting enough donations to test it out :P

You don't need to do anything with the "onNewDonation" function to play your custom sounds. If you made any changes there, I'd revert them.

The Helper already supports playing sounds when a donation comes in. It will play the cash.mp3 and kids.mp3 sound files by default. If you want a different sound, you just need to change line 25 of ExtraLifeHelper.html:

var donationSounds = "cash.mp3,kids.mp3";  // Set this to your custom set of sounds, separated
//                                         // by commas. Or set to blank to have no sounds play
// ============================================================================================

For example. If you want to play your sound file called explosion.mp3 instead of the default sounds then you would change it like this:

var donationSounds = "explosion.mp3";      // Set this to your custom set of sounds, separated
//                                         // by commas. Or set to blank to have no sounds play
// ============================================================================================

And then just make sure that explosion.mp3 file is in the audio directory. That's it!

Sweet! Thanks! Just want to make sure I'm not going to break things! :)

Just hope no one gets annoyed by my donation sounds :D

Hey everyone. The Extra Life Helper has been updated.

• Donation alerts now work when running in team mode
  • Added a new option to show your fundraising goal in addition to your amount earned
  • Added a new option to suppress alerts if only wanting to show the timer screen
  • Fixed a couple bugs

https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper

@bread_man When I use it in Wirecast (it opens the HTML locally) it shows everything in the widget at once. I've attached a link that shows what it looks like. It would be the same as if you're putting that HTML in a standard browser...I've tried this in both Mac and Windows (also in OBS) and I'm experiencing the same behavior 

Any help would be HUGE. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 1.27.54 PM.png

7 hours ago, StryderCRB said:

@bread_man When I use it in Wirecast (it opens the HTML locally) it shows everything in the widget at once. I've attached a link that shows what it looks like. It would be the same as if you're putting that HTML in a standard browser...I've tried this in both Mac and Windows (also in OBS) and I'm experiencing the same behavior 

Any help would be HUGE. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 1.27.54 PM.png

@StryderCRB I found and fixed the issue. A new zip file is available: https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper

Howdy - I was looking through the js file to try and find out how to disable the logos from rotating in and out (we plan on having a bar at the top displaying the info), and I noticed that there are two instances of the newDonors variable being created.  I'm not sure if this might cause errors, but figured I'd mention it.  I also took the liberty of adding a "showLogos" setting, which enables/disables the logos.  It might be worth adding into the main file?

I want to check the donation alert text - is there a way to manually test it without actually donating money to myself?

Cheers!

Hey @bread_man, I have a new question for you - hoping it's an easy one.  Is there an easy way to make the background color for the helper transparent?

No rush on it, but any help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

On 12/28/2017 at 7:03 PM, Dainslaif said:

Howdy - I was looking through the js file to try and find out how to disable the logos from rotating in and out (we plan on having a bar at the top displaying the info), and I noticed that there are two instances of the newDonors variable being created.  I'm not sure if this might cause errors, but figured I'd mention it.  I also took the liberty of adding a "showLogos" setting, which enables/disables the logos.  It might be worth adding into the main file?

I want to check the donation alert text - is there a way to manually test it without actually donating money to myself?

Cheers!

Hey! Hope a super late response is better than nothing. ? 

Nope, no issue with newDonors declared twice, but I cleaned that up in the next release. Thanks for letting me know!

Glad you were able to modify the Helper to do what you wanted. If more people are interested in disabling the occasional showing of the logos, I can certainly add that as a new configuration option in a future release.

I test changes to the script by running a local webserver and having it host the testing directory which you can find in the source repository: https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper/tree/master/testing Those are fake API responses. Then change value of IS_DEBUG constant in the helper.js and it will hit your local webserver instead of the real API. 

On 1/31/2018 at 1:05 AM, Shawn Sproule said:

Hey @bread_man, I have a new question for you - hoping it's an easy one.  Is there an easy way to make the background color for the helper transparent?

No rush on it, but any help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't tried this myself but you may be able to change the transparency of the background by adding this line when the backgroundPath is created.  It might also affect the stroke as well, however.

backgroundPath.opacity = 0.5;

Hi everyone! The Extra Life Helper has been updated to work with the new Extra Life API. You won't notice a change as it is all under the hood.

With that said, everyone needs to upgrade by July 16th before the old API is sunset. Previous versions of the Helper will stop working at that time.

Here's the direct download. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help. 

https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper/releases/download/2.1/ExtraLifeHelper-v2.1.zip

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 6:53 PM, bread_man said:

Hi everyone! The Extra Life Helper has been updated to work with the new Extra Life API. You won't notice a change as it is all under the hood.

With that said, everyone needs to upgrade by July 16th before the old API is sunset. Previous versions of the Helper will stop working at that time.

Here's the direct download. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help. 

https://github.com/breadweb/extralifehelper/releases/download/2.1/ExtraLifeHelper-v2.1.zip

Okay for a sec i was like ... FTW why is this not working ? (we do a bi weekly stream and it was working last stream) - Thanks for all of you hard work to make sure this stays up to date!

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2018 at 6:38 PM, Schlerf said:

FTW why is this not working ?

OMG I'm going to say that every time in place of the reverse. That's awesome.

Here's a question for you! I have EL helper running on three different machines that I use for streaming. All are running OBS Studio (v. 21.x.x). On two of the systems, the helper works with no problems, which are an XPS 17 and Inspiron 5577. On the third machine, an Elitebook 8440p, the helper works fine except for the fact that it won't pick up the donation total either for the team nor my individual page. I've tried both a fresh install on the Elitebook, and copying over the EL folder directly from one of the other machines, and it still will only show $0 for the donation total.

Any idea what would be causing that on just the one machine? I thought maybe it might be something with flash (which i have updated to the latest version), but if EL Helper doesn't use flash any more, then it must be something else preventing it from grabbing the total from the Extra Life site.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:35 AM, BJWyler said:

Here's a question for you! I have EL helper running on three different machines that I use for streaming. All are running OBS Studio (v. 21.x.x). On two of the systems, the helper works with no problems, which are an XPS 17 and Inspiron 5577. On the third machine, an Elitebook 8440p, the helper works fine except for the fact that it won't pick up the donation total either for the team nor my individual page. I've tried both a fresh install on the Elitebook, and copying over the EL folder directly from one of the other machines, and it still will only show $0 for the donation total.

Any idea what would be causing that on just the one machine? I thought maybe it might be something with flash (which i have updated to the latest version), but if EL Helper doesn't use flash any more, then it must be something else preventing it from grabbing the total from the Extra Life site.

Hey BJWyler,

Since two out of three machines are working fine and you copied your modified html file from one of the working machines then there may be a network or permissions issue on the 3rd machine. Please make sure you also restarted OBS and re-added the Helper to your OBS presentation after copying over the previous html file. If you didn't do that, the old one may still have been cached by OBS when you were checking if it was fixed after the copy.

You are correct that the Helper no longer uses Flash. It is a a pure JavaScript application running in an html page. To see what might be up, I suggest opening your Chrome browser on the machine in question, turning on Developer Tools, and then dragging the html file into the browser.

tools.png.fffdb6c718f5b6ec0a8f09e150a2139f.png

Then in the Developer Tools, look at the console to see if you're getting any errors when the Helper tries to hit the Extra Life data API. If it is working, it would look something like this.

debugging.thumb.png.c735047c7bd3eb7d7da83e965af783f5.png

Hi Adam,
I’m on my 7th as an Extra Lifer and on my second year using your “Extra Life Helper” and I’m loving it!

I have only a little issue with it though. You see, as a French-Canadian Extra Lifer, most of my supporters are also French-Canadian. Even though most of them are bilinguals, some of them only speak French. So I tried to edit your file to translate the helper’s messages and I mostly find all of the main message (inside the “Helper.js” file). The only one I didn’t find is the “New Donation Received” message.

Can you help me out with this? Also, with the same order of idea, CMN is k
nown under an other name for French-Canadian, so I was trying to find a way to change the Children’s Miracle Network logo for the “Opération Enfant Soleil” logo. 

Anyhow, thanks a lot for this nice widget and good luck to your daughter (I guess Ava is your daughter) and you for Extra Life 2018. 

Jean-Francois Chabot

Thanks for the info Adam! Looks like there is some issue with the helper communicating with EL API on the 3rd machine. ELHelper.thumb.jpg.e1f7cdbd71578f393cb526e60ca037de.jpg