Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream! - Page 5 - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

5 hours ago, Alarikun said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but I wanted to echo that I have the same problem (so that maybe someone will notice, and we can get help for it).

Updated Flash (twice), restarted Chrome, OBS; I even tried using OBS x32.  Nothing seems to be working.

It loads up fine in a regular Chrome window... so I'm at a loss.

Edit: I did want to mention that I used this last year during my stream with no issues; granted, it was on a different computer, but it did work.  

I got it working by upgrading to OBS Studio instead. Did have to check a couple of options in it though as it tried to stream at the same resolution I gamed at causing slow downs for me.

Also had to be very specific about the order of the overlays to make sure the counter shows up but it is certainly working now!

21 hours ago, Psymonkee said:

I got it working by upgrading to OBS Studio instead. Did have to check a couple of options in it though as it tried to stream at the same resolution I gamed at causing slow downs for me.

Also had to be very specific about the order of the overlays to make sure the counter shows up but it is certainly working now!

I wanted to do my best to avoid moving to Studio (my friend had major issues with it), but I cracked.  It immediately worked when I loaded up Studio... so I guess that's what I'll use from now on.

Thanks for the help, Psymonkee.

Hey everyone! I am just starting to get to work on my fundraising for this year's Extra Life. Every year, I need to make some new tweaks to Helper depending on what's changed with operating systems, browsers and streaming software. I'll most likely have a new update to the Helper and updated instructions in the next few days, so stay tuned!

• Like 1

On 23/09/2016 at 9:44 PM, Alarikun said:

I wanted to do my best to avoid moving to Studio (my friend had major issues with it), but I cracked.  It immediately worked when I loaded up Studio... so I guess that's what I'll use from now on.

No worries. I've tracked down my problems to a couple of poorly coded apps using massive CPU cycles and the OBS Studio trying to output the stream at my default gaming resolution. All sorted and working well now though :)

On 9/22/2016 at 4:38 PM, Earthgamez said:

I would love to embed this tool in my website! is there any way I could do so?

Hey Earthgamez. Yep, you can totally embed the Helper into your website. I don't have formal instructions for it, but it is easy. Just go to http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife and view the source of that page. At the top, you'll see Javascript that embeds the Helper. The places to put your participant ID and start date and time should be clear. 

Note that it is a Flash application and so it will not show up in browsers on most mobile devices. I'm not sure if I'll get to it this year, but I'll be looking to remove the Flash dependency. 

Does that mean I could link it on a forum as well if I follow the source on that page? Might make persuading some folk a little easier! :)

17 hours ago, Psymonkee said:

Does that mean I could link it on a forum as well if I follow the source on that page? Might make persuading some folk a little easier! :)

Most forums limit you to text and images for a signature and usually Flash is not allowed, such as on this forum. 

I'm going to try and embed it in a post rather than a signature so hope to circumvent any restrictions where I plan on posting it :)

Nope HTML is set to off. Bah!

Edited by Psymonkee

On 1/14/2016 at 6:49 PM, siddichan said:

Hi bread_man, thanks for taking it upon yourself to create this wonderful tool. I do have to ask if it's possible to adjust the background color of the counter, or if it's possible to remove the background altogether.. It's hard to work around a strictly white background.

Thanks!

On 9/10/2016 at 4:55 PM, Dig Douglas said:

+1

I am a bit of a stickler for keeping my stream consistent as far as "look" goes, so a bit more customization would be really great.

Thanks for crafting this tool for all of us. 

Hey Siddichan and Dig:  For color themes, I could offer four background colors that would respect the colors in the brand guidelines. The options will be:

White background

Gray background

Light blue background

Dark blue background

If folks are interested in that, please let me know and I can add the support this coming weekend. Thanks!

On 8/28/2016 at 6:36 AM, Matti4213 said:

Can you somehow sort out some of the ''sceens''? and does this still work with OBS? my sceens donsn't seem to change, and im stuck on teh day until extralife event, or what ever it says. im looking to only show the donations, and the extralife logo.. any help?

Which screens were you looking to sort out?  If you are more than three days away from the start date you specified in the config, the main screen will show days left. Once there are only three days, it will automatically get more dynamic with an hour count down. It will always rotate in the Extra Life and CMNH logos and show donations when they come in, of course. 

On 9/23/2016 at 4:44 PM, Alarikun said:

I downloaded the latest versions of OBS Classic and OBS Studio (last I worked on the Helper, it was still called OBS Multiplatform) and can confirm that the Helper wasn't working for me in those versions.

I made changes to the wrapper and uploaded the new version. It now works in both for me so if you want to return to OBS Classic (also my preference at the moment), you can download again and try. http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife 

Hey everyone!  The latest version of the Helper is now available for download: http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife

There are a number of fixes to issues caused by streaming software updates over the last year. The Helper is now confirmed to work for the following:

Windows 7/8/10: XSplit Broadcaster 2.5

Windows 7/8/10, OBS Classic 0.659 with Browser Source
Windows 7/8/10, OBS Studio 0.15.4 with Browser Source
OSX El Capitan, OBS Studio 0.15.4 with Browser Source

I've seen requests for different color themes and will work on adding that this weekend. If you have any issues using the Helper or have a feature request, please let me know.  Good luck with your fundraising efforts! 

• Like 1

@bread_man I didn't see a mention of this, but do you think post-EL this year you'll look into dumping Flash and look at doing this with Javascript and/or HTML5? By Extra Life 2017 I think we'll see Flash no longer available in Chromium, which is used in OBS' Browser Source.

2 hours ago, SupeRaven said:

@bread_man I didn't see a mention of this, but do you think post-EL this year you'll look into dumping Flash and look at doing this with Javascript and/or HTML5? By Extra Life 2017 I think we'll see Flash no longer available in Chromium, which is used in OBS' Browser Source.

Totally. I originally picked Flash because I used to do a lot of applications with it in the old days and I was using XSplit at the time which had native support for loading Flash files. But yes, Flash has been on the way out for a long time and I should plan on removing that dependency for next year. 

• Like 1

As promised, the Helper has been updated and now supports a few color themes.  They can be changed by updating the theme value in the config or wrapper file.

colors.jpg

In addition, I added a border option that allows you to change the border from the default of rounded corners to square corners or to be turned off completely. 

Latest version and instructions are uploaded here: http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife

• Like 2

On 26/9/2016 at 2:10 PM, bread_man said:

Hey Siddichan and Dig:  For color themes, I could offer four background colors that would respect the colors in the brand guidelines. The options will be:

White background

Gray background

Light blue background

Dark blue background

If folks are interested in that, please let me know and I can add the support this coming weekend. Thanks!

Which screens were you looking to sort out?  If you are more than three days away from the start date you specified in the config, the main screen will show days left. Once there are only three days, it will automatically get more dynamic with an hour count down. It will always rotate in the Extra Life and CMNH logos and show donations when they come in, of course. 

Hello Bread_man.

i was talking about having only these 3 images show up in a loop

extralife.PNG

On 10/10/2016 at 11:46 AM, Matti4213 said:

Hello Bread_man.

i was talking about having only these 3 images show up in a loop

extralife.PNG

Oh, I see. I've thought about modifying the Helper to work in "alert only" mode similar to other alert programs. In that mode there would be no clock or logos and the Helper would be invisible until a donation came in just like the ones you see on professional streamer's broadcasts. If I have the time to do that before the 5th, I'll post an update. Thanks for the feedback!

15 hours ago, bread_man said:

Oh, I see. I've thought about modifying the Helper to work in "alert only" mode similar to other alert programs. In that mode there would be no clock or logos and the Helper would be invisible until a donation came in just like the ones you see on professional streamer's broadcasts. If I have the time to do that before the 5th, I'll post an update. Thanks for the feedback!

i will watch over this as a hawk then ;)

I'll keep an eye out as well, if I'm able to turn off the "total hours played" that would be amazing. I won't be able to do 24 hours or even remotely close, so the ability to toggle certain ones would be awesome. Great work!

On 11/10/2016 at 9:40 PM, bread_man said:

This would be absolutely perfect for the stream I'm helping out with.

Unless I missed something, when I only input a Team ID instead of a Participant ID, while the total amount updates fine, you don't get individual donation alerts.

The invisible-until-a-donation program would allow me to run multiple iterations of it with different Participant IDs for different team members I want alerts for, and put them all in the same place.

Unless you could make it so you can input multiple Participant IDs in the config for different team members you want alerts for?

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 5:40 PM, loldudester said:

Unless I missed something, when I only input a Team ID instead of a Participant ID, while the total amount updates fine, you don't get individual donation alerts.

The invisible-until-a-donation program would allow me to run multiple iterations of it with different Participant IDs for different team members I want alerts for, and put them all in the same place.

Unless you could make it so you can input multiple Participant IDs in the config for different team members you want alerts for?

^^^^ i am running a stream for a team of upwards of 200+ participants, I would love to have the donations for each team mate every time, but im not sure if that would be do-able. I mean, I could run multiple participants on the same stream, but I'm not sure. Interesting thought, thanks! 

Would also love to be able to customize the panels [even just a little bit] people around these parts react well to "in support of the stollery" vs. "in support of CMNH". but BLESS your dang heart for this, bread_man, it's going to be super helpful. 

Edited by binarycupcakes

On 10/27/2016 at 7:40 PM, loldudester said:

On 10/29/2016 at 4:10 AM, binarycupcakes said:

^^^^ i am running a stream for a team of upwards of 200+ participants, I would love to have the donations for each team mate every time, but im not sure if that would be do-able. I mean, I could run multiple participants on the same stream, but I'm not sure. Interesting thought, thanks! 

Would also love to be able to customize the panels [even just a little bit] people around these parts react well to "in support of the stollery" vs. "in support of CMNH". but BLESS your dang heart for this, bread_man, it's going to be super helpful. 

On 10/19/2016 at 4:50 PM, HoodedDemon said:

I'll keep an eye out as well, if I'm able to turn off the "total hours played" that would be amazing. I won't be able to do 24 hours or even remotely close, so the ability to toggle certain ones would be awesome. Great work!

Correct, if you put in team ID instead of participant ID, you will not get donation alerts. It would take some time to change the Helper to work that way I'm not sure it would be practical, especially for super big teams. In @binarycupcakes's case, one instance of the Helper would be trying to make 200 requests to the Extra Life service every few seconds in order to get real-time donation info for each member.  I don't think the web team would be happy if the Helper bombarded their service in that way. :P

If anyone is interested in only getting alerts of new Extra Life donations without any other features (no running total, no timer, no logos, etc), SteamPro has this exact offering and it is pretty cool. I haven't used it myself but I imagine you can setup multiple instances of their alert with different participant information. Go check them out here: 

• Like 1

A newer version of the Helper is now available for download. It contains the following updates:

• Made donation alerts more responsive
  • Added support for marathons lasting longer than 72 hours
  • Fixed issues with transitions

As always, the download and instructions are available here: http://breadweb.net/files/extralife/

Is this working with the latest version of OBS Studio? Cause Im having difficulties