bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

Update: Got everything working for OBS and OBS MultiPlatform on both Windows and OSX. I just need to update the zip file and instructions which I'll do tonight. Stay tuned!

The Helper has been updated and is now is confirmed to work for the following combinations of broadcasting software, plugins and operating systems:

Windows 7/8/10: XSplit 2.5
Windows 7/8/10, OBS 0.656 32-bit, CLR Browser plugin 32-bit
Windows 7/8/10, OBS 0.656 64-bit, CLR Browser plugin 64-bit
Windows 7/8/10, OBS MultiPlatform 0.12.0 32-bit, Browser Source plugin 32-bit
OSX Yosemite, OBS Multiplatform 0.12.0, Browser Source plugin 32-bit
OSX Yosemite, OBS Multiplatform 0.12.0, Browser Source plugin 64-bit

The updated version can be found here: http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife/

Please note that instructions for personalizing the Helper and adding it to your broadcast for OBS and OBS MultiPlatform is very different now.

Enjoy!

Edited by bread_man
  • Like 1

- I just want to shout-out to @bread_man on how awesome the tracker works on OBS. Thank you so much!

Glad its working for you. :) Good luck with your fundraising!!

Hello, Bread_man! Just wanted to first off thank you for this plug in. I think it's awesome and will be a huge addition to our streaming efforts as we get closer to our EL 2015 date.

However, I fear I've either done something wrong in setup or just plain missing a step for OBS. I was able to get a CLR Browser scene added, was able to load the Wrapper and set its size dimensions, but when it goes to OBS, i just have nothingness when I view the scene. I have the red frame to stretch and move the scene, but thats it. It's like this in preview mode and when I did some stream tests just now. 

Do the helper files need to be in my OBS folder somewhere too? Thanks to you and anyone else that can help me with this!

Hello, Bread_man! Just wanted to first off thank you for this plug in. I think it's awesome and will be a huge addition to our streaming efforts as we get closer to our EL 2015 date.

However, I fear I've either done something wrong in setup or just plain missing a step for OBS. I was able to get a CLR Browser scene added, was able to load the Wrapper and set its size dimensions, but when it goes to OBS, i just have nothingness when I view the scene. I have the red frame to stretch and move the scene, but thats it. It's like this in preview mode and when I did some stream tests just now. 

Do the helper files need to be in my OBS folder somewhere too? Thanks to you and anyone else that can help me with this!

Hey there. It's hard to say for sure what's up without more info. The only time I've seen a blank window is when using OBS MultiPlatform on Windows. If you're using that version of OBS on that OS, it will be blank unless you set the value of "chromaKey" to 1 in the wrapper file (more info about that is on the instructions page). Can you confirm what you're using?

Hey there. It's hard to say for sure what's up without more info. The only time I've seen a blank window is when using OBS MultiPlatform on Windows. If you're using that version of OBS on that OS, it will be blank unless you set the value of "chromaKey" to 1 in the wrapper file (more info about that is on the instructions page). Can you confirm what you're using?

I sure can! I am using regular 64 bit OBS on 64 bit Windows 7. I hope the attached screen shot will show that I have edited the wrapper file correctly, and selected the right item for the CLR browser in OBS. As you can see, I have another CLR browser element from SteamPro that is picking up my team's ID while in Preview Mode, but the Wrapper is jus there as a red frame. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

el_obs_wrapper.png

P.S. On a whim, I just did the ChromaKey value change to 1 and I still just have an empty red frame, so it must be something I've done :(

Hmmmm. You may not have the required Flash plugin.  First, can you try opening ExtraLifeHelperWrapper.html in a browser directly? If it is blank or you get a missing plugin warning, that's definitely it. If it looks fine, it still wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the latest and then try again.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

@Baztasic, I had the same issue when trying to set it up this morning. What fixed it for me (I think) was adding the CLR Browser control, then simply closing OBS and reopening it. It then showed up. Your mileage may vary, but give it a go! Good luck!

Hmmmm. You may not have the required Flash plugin.  First, can you try opening ExtraLifeHelperWrapper.html in a browser directly? If it is blank or you get a missing plugin warning, that's definitely it. If it looks fine, it still wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the latest and then try again.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Ok here's the browser (Chrome) test: 

wrapper_test.png

So yeah, I am not sure what is going on at this point :( I'll try to update Flash here again and report back.

and what do you know!? Flash update and restart of Chrome, and voila! 

w00t.png

Thanks for the help, one and all, and good luck on your Game Day!

and what do you know!? Flash update and restart of Chrome, and voila! 

Thanks for the help, one and all, and good luck on your Game Day!

Awesome! Good luck to you as well. :)

Hi bread_man,

Thank you for this sweet looking tool. Unfortunately, I am encountering a problem very similar to what baztastic was dealing with. I am using OBS 64-bit on Win 7. I have everything setup as per the instructions on your site. I just get the 'movable red box' for this source. Nothing actually renders. Running the html file directly in chrome works fine. I checked the adobe link you provided. Adobe tells me that I am using the chrome version, it's up to date, and they recommend I leave it that way.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Les

Hi bread_man,

Thank you for this sweet looking tool. Unfortunately, I am encountering a problem very similar to what baztastic was dealing with. I am using OBS 64-bit on Win 7. I have everything setup as per the instructions on your site. I just get the 'movable red box' for this source. Nothing actually renders. Running the html file directly in chrome works fine. I checked the adobe link you provided. Adobe tells me that I am using the chrome version, it's up to date, and they recommend I leave it that way.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Les

Chrome does have built-in Flash support, but that doesn't do anything for the OBS browser plugins. You still need to install the Flash plugin for those to work.

Chrome does have built-in Flash support, but that doesn't do anything for the OBS browser plugins. You still need to install the Flash plugin for those to work.

I see. Everything works now. Thank you for the help :)

Wow, this is awesome.  I'll join in with everyone and say thanks bread_man!  I came to the forums today to try and find information on what APIs or back end web services I could tap into to make my own tracker widget for this year's stream (heavy PHP and general programmer) and low and behold you've already done it.  I will definitely be using your widget this year.

Though after this year if I did get the urge to try and make my own, is there any documentation you could point me to that might help? I am really not wanting to have to resort to a file_get_contents on my donations list page and try to parse the list from that front end data.  lol

- Graydon

Wow, this is awesome.  I'll join in with everyone and say thanks bread_man!  I came to the forums today to try and find information on what APIs or back end web services I could tap into to make my own tracker widget for this year's stream (heavy PHP and general programmer) and low and behold you've already done it.  I will definitely be using your widget this year.

Though after this year if I did get the urge to try and make my own, is there any documentation you could point me to that might help? I am really not wanting to have to resort to a file_get_contents on my donations list page and try to parse the list from that front end data.  lol

- Graydon

You're welcome. :) Glad you like the Helper enough to want to use it for your Extra Life efforts.

There is documentation for the APIs they created this year tucked away in the Multimedia Kit:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdgixsxamiysxaf/AAAJ6ccMb2v5dKNhfpcFdGlna/All Countries/Broadcasting Kit/1. Capturing your Extra Life Data_JSON.pdf?dl=0

Basically, you tack "&format=json" to the URLs and it returns JSON content for that page instead of the HTML. You can then consume it in your client using whatever JSON library you have available. I was so happy to see this as the original Helper I made over a year ago had to parse the HTML pages which wasn't any fun. :P  

Edited by bread_man

I was so happy to see this as the original Helper I made over a year ago had to parse the HTML pages which wasn't any fun. :P  

lol I can imagine, that's what I thought I was going to have to do this week to get set up for saturday. You definitely saved me a lot of time.

If I get the urge to build my own tracker later on I'll certainly drop back by to compare notes. Maybe there will be something that will be beneficial to you for any future versions.

Thanks again! 

I've made a few minor optimizations and fixes to the Helper. Also, the instructions have been updated to include solutions to common issues reported here. To get the latest version, please visit http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife Thanks!

I love going to Twitch Extra Life game channel and seeing folks using the Helper. If you have any requests for future features, please send em my way. Good luck to everyone!

helper-uses.thumb.jpg.07d3d57545fadababb

Tried to incorporate other trackers, but hands down, yours is the cleanest and most reliable so far. Thank you, again, for all of the hard work you've put into making this tracker! It's loaded and ready to go for this Saturday's marathon!

Tried to incorporate other trackers, but hands down, yours is the cleanest and most reliable so far. Thank you, again, for all of the hard work you've put into making this tracker! It's loaded and ready to go for this Saturday's marathon!

You're welcome. :) It has been fun to make and maintain, and really satisfying to know so many people are getting use out of it. Good luck tomorrow!!!

• Like 1

Hi bread_man, thanks for taking it upon yourself to create this wonderful tool. I do have to ask if it's possible to adjust the background color of the counter, or if it's possible to remove the background altogether.. It's hard to work around a strictly white background.

Thanks!

Can you somehow sort out some of the ''sceens''? and does this still work with OBS? my sceens donsn't seem to change, and im stuck on teh day until extralife event, or what ever it says. im looking to only show the donations, and the extralife logo.. any help?

On 1/14/2016 at 3:49 PM, siddichan said:

Hi bread_man, thanks for taking it upon yourself to create this wonderful tool. I do have to ask if it's possible to adjust the background color of the counter, or if it's possible to remove the background altogether.. It's hard to work around a strictly white background.

Thanks!

+1

I am a bit of a stickler for keeping my stream consistent as far as "look" goes, so a bit more customization would be really great.

Thanks for crafting this tool for all of us. 

On 28/10/2015 at 2:22 PM, bread_man said:

Awesome! Good luck to you as well. :)

Sorry to drag this back up but I'm having similar problems and can't seem to solve it now!

Updated Flashplayer, followed all the instructions yet nothing shows up in OBS Preview until I click 'Edit Scene' which brings up the dreaded red box and little else.

Opening it directly in a browser works flawlessly and shows the correct data as well. Additionally tried restarting OBS, Chrome, any game I try it with and reconfiguring OBS from the ground up.

Utterly lost as to what to try next - any pointers? :)