bread_man

Extra Life Helper! Show real-time donation info on your stream!

I can't say for Xbox 1 because I don't own it, but with my PS4 I know that I can't have any overlays or programs like this tracker. I believe this will only work on the PC because with OBS you have to screen capture the tracker but with Xsplit you just import into the program.

Zyaldar is correct, this is usable with PC only.

When I try to run Extralife.exe I just get a message that it has stopped working right after I open it. I get a message that it requires a missing Windows component (currently using windows 7). Has anyone else come across this or have a work around for it?

I just ran into the same issue.

Zyaldar is correct, this is usable with PC only.

Thanks for the confirmation; that's what I thought. I'll just have to keep reminding people over the mic and in the chat box.

Hey everyone! So I was AFK for the better part of the year and missed the posts that came in after Extra Life 2014 ended. Sorry about that!  I'll reply to individual posts in a minute...

I'm gearing up for Extra Life 2015 and will dust off the Helper project.  It still works with the current Extra website which is great, but there are a few things to improve:

1) It needs to work better for those who have tons of donations. I can optimize it so it doesn't have to crawl every page which can be a problem when you have over 20 pages of donations. 

2) I will try to get in touch with the Extra Life team again to see if they can get a crossdomain.xml file added to the website so the Helper SWF file will work with the CLRBrowser plugin for OBS. For now, you still need to run the EXE on a 2nd monitor and capture that window.

If anyone has any other requests for functionality or knows of any bugs to fix, please let me know.

Is there any chance of getting a .dmg file for those of us streaming from a Mac? The ability to swipe fullscreen apps essentially functions as a second monitor, so I think I might be able to work around that if I can get a .dmg, because I can't run an .exe

Unfortunately, it will not work on a Mac right now. For a quick experiment, I tried running the ExtraLife.exe through Mono on my MacBook and it didn't work on the first try. I may have some library path problems or need an earlier version of Mono. I will try again soon, but can't promise I'll get it working - sorry about that. :(

I just tried it on my imac by dragging the Extralife.swf into an open chrome window and adding the ? and everything after it in the post above and it seems to work. This is an older iMac it can only go up to 10.7. I will see if I can find a newer mac in my office to test it on.

It may appear that the Helper is working when running it in a browser because the countdown timer is working, but the tallying of donations will be broken - it will always say $0. This is because the ExtraLife website does not have a required file on their site to allow the helper to read the donations when running in that context. I'll ping them again to see if they can put that file up, but until I hear back, the helper only works in the two ways noted on http://breadweb.net/files/extralife/. That's either in XSplit or by running ExtraLife.exe on a second monitor and capturing it as a window for OBS. 

I mainly play games on my PC, but I happily play on my MacBook as well so I feel your pain. If I can figure something out to support running this on a Mac, I will let you know.

Sorry for the n00b question: do these plug-ins only work if you use a capture card and computer to stream? I stream straight from my Xbox One, and I would like to experiment with overlays like this EL widget. I don't have a capture card, and I won't have room in the budget for one any time soon. Thanks!

I don't have an Xbox One so I wouldn't be able to get it working and test it out on that platform, sorry!  The current supported use case is running it on a PC. 

So I was just browsing the Multi-media kit and found a document that says the Extra Life website finally supports participant and donation data in XML format. This will make the Helper much faster and reliable. I'll let everyone know when the updated version is available!

So I was just browsing the Multi-media kit and found a document that says the Extra Life website finally supports participant and donation data in XML format. This will make the Helper much faster and reliable. I'll let everyone know when the updated version is available!

There is also a new forum about that http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/100-extra-life-json-code-discussion-sharing/ . Not sure if there's different info there then what's in the toolkit

There is also a new forum about that http://community.extra-life.org/forums/forum/100-extra-life-json-code-discussion-sharing/ . Not sure if there's different info there then what's in the toolkit

Ah thanks for pointing me there, I did mean to say JSON, not XML in my last post. I was just excited to see that the web team is providing the data raw and clean.

Hey Everyone! I've rebuilt the Helper and released the latest version. It is confirmed to work with the latest version of XSplit and as an executable on Windows. Here are the change notes:

• Now uses the newly provided JSON data instead of crawling the HTML pages
    • This makes the Helper much faster when polling the Extra Life website for updates
    • The Helper is now reliable for participants and teams who get massive amounts of donations
  • Updated the look and feel to be more in line with the Exta Life brand
    • Updated the Extra Life and CMNH logos
    • Updated the fonts and color scheme to match the new logos and stream materials
  • Fixed a bug where the timer would not switch from counting down days to counting down time
  • Fixed a bug where the last donation received would ring in as new each time the helper started
  • Updated the documentation at http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife to be up to date and added more troubleshooting tips

Here's the new look:

helper3.jpg  helper4.jpg  helper5.jpg

It was a decent re-work of the underlying code so I may have caused some bugs. If you see anything funky, please let me know.

Better support of OBS with the CLRBrowser plugin:

I've tried to get a hold of the Extra Life web team through a number of channels (forum admins, website contact form) and posted this thread in order to request a file be added to the Extra Life website so applications made with Flash can request the new JSON data they provided. If you want to see the Helper working in the CLRBrowser plugin for OBS, please reply to the thread. Thanks! 

Just downloaded the update, and it seems to work well. A couple of things, though...

- Having the exact same background color inside and outside of the frame doesn't work well with color keying in OBS.

- Would it be possible to have the old, darker color scheme as an option for those (like me) who prefer it?

Being able to load it using the OBS browser plugin would indeed be cool, though.

Just got done with a huge update and I'm happy to report that the Helper now works with OBS and the CLR Browser plugin! Please grab the latest zip file where you'll find a new HTML wrapper to use when adding a CLR Browser source in OBS.

Updated instructions and the download link can be found here: http://www.breadweb.net/files/extralife 

The additional benefit is that now OSX users can also use the Helper. I tested it on my MacBook pro with OBS MultiPlatform and it works great.

Finally, a couple more changes:

• Fixed bug where sounds would play even if muted
  • Added better handling of failed connections and empty responses when requesting data from the Extra Life website
Edited by bread_man

Just downloaded the update, and it seems to work well. A couple of things, though...

- Having the exact same background color inside and outside of the frame doesn't work well with color keying in OBS.

- Would it be possible to have the old, darker color scheme as an option for those (like me) who prefer it?

Being able to load it using the OBS browser plugin would indeed be cool, though.

Just added OBS support. :) Details are in the previous thread. When adding as a CLR Browser source, you shouldn't need to worry about color keying. The inner area should be white and it should be transparent around the four rounded corners.  If it still looks funky for you, please let me know.

Just added OBS support. :) Details are in the previous thread. When adding as a CLR Browser source, you shouldn't need to worry about color keying. The inner area should be white and it should be transparent around the four rounded corners.  If it still looks funky for you, please let me know.

I have that working now and, yeah, color keying isn't an issue. An option for the older color scheme would still be nice, but at least it works :-) Thanks!

Correction... it works with CLR Browser in older OBS versions, but I can't get it to work with the browser source plugin for OBS Multiplatform. It behaves as it did before I installed the Flash plugin (Google Chrome having Flash built in made me forget it wasn't there), with nothing showing up at all where it should be in the preview.

This is with the latest 32-bit version... not using 64-bit because the ElGato Game Capture HD driver won't work in that case. I can confirm that the browser source plugin works otherwise, or Twitch Alerts wouldn't be working.

Correction... it works with CLR Browser in older OBS versions, but I can't get it to work with the browser source plugin for OBS Multiplatform. It behaves as it did before I installed the Flash plugin (Google Chrome having Flash built in made me forget it wasn't there), with nothing showing up at all where it should be in the preview.

This is with the latest 32-bit version... not using 64-bit because the ElGato Game Capture HD driver won't work in that case. I can confirm that the browser source plugin works otherwise, or Twitch Alerts wouldn't be working.

Interesting that its not working for you with 32-bit version. I used the 64-bit version of the Browser Source plugin for MultiPlatform (all on OSX). At first it didn't appear to work, but then I restarted OBS and it was working fine after that. I'll try to find some time soon to play around with the 32-bit version of the plugin. 

Interesting that its not working for you with 32-bit version. I used the 64-bit version of the Browser Source plugin for MultiPlatform (all on OSX). At first it didn't appear to work, but then I restarted OBS and it was working fine after that. I'll try to find some time soon to play around with the 32-bit version of the plugin. 

It may be a Windows thing, then. Looking at the forum thread for the OBS MP browser source plugin, there seems to be an issue with Flash rendering correctly (read: at all) on a transparent background.

I did manage to get it working, but had to create a copy of the HTML file and add "background-color:rgb(255,0,255);" to the style for the body tag (hopefully you're not using magenta as a color in the widget itself at any point, or that'll look weird), and then added a chroma key filter to remove the corners.

[cool stuff]

First, thanks for updating this for 2015!

Can you clarify this from the documentation: "In team mode, you will not get notifications when new donations arrive for individual team members, but all of the other features remain the same."

Does this mean that you, individually, will still get notifications, but you won't get another team member's notifications?  Or, does this mean you get no notifications at all?

It may be a Windows thing, then. Looking at the forum thread for the OBS MP browser source plugin, there seems to be an issue with Flash rendering correctly (read: at all) on a transparent background.

I did manage to get it working, but had to create a copy of the HTML file and add "background-color:rgb(255,0,255);" to the style for the body tag (hopefully you're not using magenta as a color in the widget itself at any point, or that'll look weird), and then added a chroma key filter to remove the corners.

Hmmmm, OK glad it is working for you. If it is not consistently working "as is" I can make the magenta fill standard and update the instructions to add the chroma key like you did.  I'll play around with that tonight, thanks.

First, thanks for updating this for 2015!

Can you clarify this from the documentation: "In team mode, you will not get notifications when new donations arrive for individual team members, but all of the other features remain the same."

Does this mean that you, individually, will still get notifications, but you won't get another team member's notifications?  Or, does this mean you get no notifications at all?

You're welcome!  

The Helper works with a Participant ID or Team ID, but not both. If specifying a Team ID, it will run in team mode and not be aware of any individual participant so donation alerts won't be enabled.  

There's nothing to stop you from running it twice if you'd like. You could extract the Helper files to two different folders, edit one config for you and the other config for your team and show both on your stream. :)

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem, but I tried the Helper today and nothing showed up OBS.  It's just a blank box.  I did update the participant ID.  I tried this workaround and I got a blank, magenta box :P

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem, but I tried the Helper today and nothing showed up OBS.  It's just a blank box.  I did update the participant ID.  I tried this workaround and I got a blank, magenta box :P

Make sure that you actually have the Flash plugin installed. Depending on what browser you use, it could have Flash support built in (Google Chrome certainly does), so you shouldn't depend on that as an indication.

Hmmmm, OK glad it is working for you. If it is not consistently working "as is" I can make the magenta fill standard and update the instructions to add the chroma key like you did.  I'll play around with that tonight, thanks.

I just tested the modified HTML file with the original OBS, and it has magenta corners (no chroma key filter available in that case), so if you want something that works "as is" then including 2 HTML files might be involved... one for OBS and one for OBS MP.

Make sure that you actually have the Flash plugin installed. Depending on what browser you use, it could have Flash support built in (Google Chrome certainly does), so you shouldn't depend on that as an indication.

I just tested the modified HTML file with the original OBS, and it has magenta corners (no chroma key filter available in that case), so if you want something that works "as is" then including 2 HTML files might be involved... one for OBS and one for OBS MP.

There are so many combinations of OBS, OBS MP (OSX/Windows), different platforms (32-bit, 64-bit) and the different plugins each with their different platforms... Will take a while to test each combo. Do you know how the plugins work under the hood? Do they have an embedded browser or do they use installed browsers. If the latter, do they use the default one or is there some other way it chooses?

I think my last update where I have the HTML page read the XML file for the settings breaks in Chrome because of an security restriction loading local files in that browser. I was hoping to have one place for editing settings (the XML file), but looks like I need to change that and let folks edit the settings in the HTML page as well.

So yeah, the Helper breaks in unique ways depending on which software you use (OBS vs OBS MultiPlatform) and which OS you use (Windows vs OSX)

• Works fine on OBS on Windows
  • Transparency parameter breaks it on OBS MultiPlatform on Windows.
  • Local xmlhttprequest of config file breaks it on OBS MultiPlatform on OSX

I have a plan to make it work everywhere but it will take a couple days to get done. For now, I've removed the claim that OSX is supported and instructions for OBS and OBS MultiPlatform for Windows have been updated.

Edited by bread_man

There are so many combinations of OBS, OBS MP (OSX/Windows), different platforms (32-bit, 64-bit) and the different plugins each with their different platforms... Will take a while to test each combo. Do you know how the plugins work under the hood? Do they have an embedded browser or do they use installed browsers. If the latter, do they use the default one or is there some other way it chooses?

I think my last update where I have the HTML page read the XML file for the settings breaks in Chrome because of an security restriction loading local files in that browser. I was hoping to have one place for editing settings (the XML file), but looks like I need to change that and let folks edit the settings in the HTML page as well.

That's a good question on the plugin's inner workings. The only easily available browser engine on Windows is IE... it's part of the Windows API. That's what I've used in the past, but I don't know how you'd do it with a hidden browser window. There are things like Webkit (open source browser engine) as well. I guess the best thing to do would be to ask the developers of the plugins.

I saw the same problem with Chrome, which I was able to work around because I have a web server available. I didn't mention it, though, because that issue didn't seem to affect the OBS plugins at all.

That's a good question on the plugin's inner workings. The only easily available browser engine on Windows is IE... it's part of the Windows API. That's what I've used in the past, but I don't know how you'd do it with a hidden browser window. There are things like Webkit (open source browser engine) as well. I guess the best thing to do would be to ask the developers of the plugins.

I saw the same problem with Chrome, which I was able to work around because I have a web server available. I didn't mention it, though, because that issue didn't seem to affect the OBS plugins at all.

Here's the user agent when running in OBS (Windows) and OBS MultiPlatform (OSX) : http://d.pr/i/1hdsw/2pGyqdej

Edited by bread_man