Gaming News:The Internet Is Going Crazy Over Leaked Images of Nintendo's NX Controller - Announcements - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Gardner

Gaming News:The Internet Is Going Crazy Over Leaked Images of Nintendo's NX Controller

pkfWmFK-970.jpg.f98751d03a0dd7207eb07230

The internet is on fire with speculation following a Reddit post earlier today that claims to be showcasing Nintendo's NX controller. 

The design seems to conform to rumors of what the controller will look like, following the patented designs of the controller as well as earlier leaked images. If accurate, the controller on display in the image probably isn't the final design. It is likely that it comes from a developer kit sent out by Nintendo and will likely go through some small iterative improvements before commercial release. 

From the images, the controller appears to have two shoulder buttons along with a home button and two joysticks. Additional buttons seem like they will be added digitally as seen in an earlier leaked image. These on-screen could include some improved form of haptic feedback to give them the feeling of having pressed something. It also includes a headphone jack which lends some credence to the rumors that Nintendo wants to make the controller its own device that people can take with them on the go. 

Similarities between reflections in the leaked NX screens and trees around the headquarters of Swedish game developer Massive have led some on various forums around the internet to speculate that the leak originated there. 

If these are accurate, what do you all think of the direction Nintendo is taking with their next-gen console?

View full article

My favorite part is the "confidential" label. 

I verge on Nintendo fanboy territory, but I am interested. I never saw Nintendo playing the same game the Sony or Microsoft. They tend to focus on "play", whether it's the DS series of handhelds or the Wii (and to a much lesser extent the Wii U). 

So I welcome a different way to play. It will not likely be my main console (unless it is compatible with 3DS/DS games) but it will definitely be added to my collection. Mostly because I am a sucker. 

@herobyclicking I think it is interesting that people are speculating that it could be a hybrid of console and mobile. That'd be something to get my attention. Being able to access the VC library on the go along with other media in a streamlined fashion? Yes please. I know you can do it on the 3DS, but it doesn't feel... good. 

I'd hope that the design becomes more ergonomic for retail, though. That looks like it would kill hands over long periods of play. 

• Like 1

Now that I ponder on it for a few minutes, I could see how games would utilize the screen around the joysticks (maybe some quick time thing where you do an action with the joystick, then a similar action around the joystick on the screen). I still feel uneasy from a design standpoint on it, but maybe that's the "this could be the future" feel.

Its very interesting my first thought on seeing it is the only cord appears to be headphones so is it maybe bluetooth? this would make it widely universal and open to many platforms for all kinds of games!

Idk, I'm skeptical. I have a feeling this will be revealed in full very soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

@montscot832 I think the HDMI cable on the table plugs into a port on the top of the device? That's what it seems like in some of the designs I've seen. However, it would be really neat if it was bluetooth and compatible with other systems.

My thoughts...(well, on the new system, not the pic :P )

Haven't been paying too much attention but I have a feeling/hope they are finally combining the "DS" and "Wii/U" into one unit. The controller is still going to be some sort of "pad" type device but you'll be able to pop in DS games (or whatever) and take it with you on the go. This of course opens the door for Wii games to have portable versions to "grind" or whatever they think of while you're pooping...at your friends house. Just my guess anyway...

^^^shared my thoughts a few other places so figured I'd just copy pasta ;)

• Like 2